Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Parenting in the Parks: Grand Family Vacations

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Parenting in the Parks: Grand Family Vacations

Grand Family Vacations by Adrienne Krock

The Parenting Panel shares experiences and tips for bringing grandparents along on Disney theme park vacations

Read it here!

2. # ADS

We have done MANY trips with grandparents!! It's always a blast. My in laws have done Disneyland (x2) and Disney World with us, and my mom has been to Disneyland with us twice and she's hoping to come along to WDW next time. With younger kids it's great to have an extra set of hands, but mostly it's great to see your parents act like kids again.

I don't include Grandparents for the reason that it multiplies the complexity of a vacation so that it isn't a vacation anymore. You should certainly include them if they are quite mobile and a certain age, preferrable under 60. Once they started slowing down, your vacation will be impacted. Perhaps focus on a day trip instead.

A much older grandparent has many issues especially that of transportation. You might be chauffering them from their home to your place, and then the parks and other places. You much do this in additioning to caring for your own kids, thus doing double duty. Your own kids might not have the patience to wait, which is in addition to waiting for you too. There are exceptions of course. Many busy two income households are using Grandparents for daycare. They are already invested in the family so they should be included.