Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Disney World trip and we need to stay at a Marriott

First Disney World trip and we need to stay at a Marriott

Please Help! It's our family of 5's first trip to Disney World and we need to use our Marriott points. Please let me know what you would recommend. When I looked at the Marriott website, I felt completely lost! Also, do you know if any of them offer transportation?

2. # ADS

You don't specify what level of a Marriott you are looking for. Are you good with what Marriott refers to as lower tiers, or are you looking for a full fledged Marriott Tower type of place?

I stayed at this hotel (it's a Courtyard) on a trip last November and it was nice enough for me. Probably about a 10 mile drive to the parks. I think they might have some sort of shuttle available, but I can't say for sure (I rented a car).

Good luck in your search!

-Dave

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If they offer transportation, it's probably pretty limited. The general guidance around here is if you're staying offsite, you really should look at renting a car. How would you get from the airport (assuming you're flying in) if you don't have a car? That's another expense you'd have to look at.

Cathy

Thanks Dave and Drince! We are looking at any tier. That courtyard looks nice. We have been saving points for a long time to do this trip and can really do almost any level. I guess we will need to rent a car just to have some freedom of coming and going to the parks as we please. I have a lot to learn about Disney world.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker3 View Post
    I guess we will need to rent a car just to have some freedom of coming and going to the parks as we please. I have a lot to learn about Disney world.
    Fact #1: WDW is approximately the same size as Tempe, AZ. But don't worry, plenty of people here will help bring it down to a more manageable size.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I guess we will need to rent a car just to have some freedom of coming and going to the parks as we please. I have a lot to learn about Disney world.
    Like what Drince mentioned... if staying off site, this is a general rule. Once you get to a park, it may be easier to use Disney transportation if you want to go between parks and resorts.
    But its usually a good idea forgoing using a hotel shuttle to get to the parks. It may be "included" but it will limit you drastically.

In your budget for things, you will need to include parking at the parks ($17) day (pay once per day, regardless if you go to another park later) and you -might- have to pay a parking fee at your hotel, depending where it is. The Courtyard mentioned earlier does not charge a fee, but some places do. Just check with the hotel.

Feel free to post other questions about your trip in the appropriate forums... we are here to help!!
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    ...................... you -might- have to pay a parking fee at your hotel, depending where it is. The Courtyard mentioned earlier does not charge a fee, but some places do. Just check with the hotel................
    That is a great point. I went through that exercise before that trip, but I forgot to mention it. There was another hotel I was considering that had a slightly lower per night charge, but it had something like a $12 per day parking fee, so it was better to stay at the Courtyard.
    -Dave

One other thing to investigate regarding parking, once you narrow your choices down based on other factors.

Depending on the level of the person cashing in the points, I think some hotels might waive the parking fee if you are high enough in your level (silver, gold, platinum, etc).

It's possibly been a few years, but I seem to remember getting this benefit at an airport Marriott at some point. It may have been stopped, or it may depend on the location, but it's something to inquire about(especially if you are at a very high reward level).

-Dave

Parking fees could be a big deal, especially if I am paying them at the hotel and to park at the parks . We are Platinum Marriott but I am now looking at the cost of the car rental, any parking fees etc. or maybe just staying at a "moderate" hotel, like the port Orleans or Caribbean beach hotel and not worrying about transportation.

No doubt that by the time you factor in car rental, guest fees, parking costs that you may want to look at the cost of staying on site. Remember to check out the available discounts. If you are feeling overwhelmed. That's ok. We are all here to help.

First & foremost I would recommend buying the Passporter guide book from the Web site if you haven't done so yet. This will allow you to view the ebooks & Web based info too (some have additional costs).

2nd and very importantly check into an approved disney travel agent. They don't cost you but they sure can help save you time & money.

3rd - make make a list (depending on family ages everyone can make their own) of what you want to do on this trip. Once you have the lists then you can prioritize them.

PM if you have any other questions that I might be able to help you with.

Great advice, thank you so much!

Blog Entries

And don't forget toll roads in your calculations!

Cathy

If I am not mistaken, Marriott now owns the Gaylord Resort hotels. The Gaylord Palms is right around the corner from WDW. The Gaylord Palms is an awesome resort! With visiting even if you are not staying there. I just returned from a conference there. I believe they have a shuttle to the parks from the resort.

Love all the advice, thank you! It looks like we are going to bite the bullet and stay at the "old key west" resort on property. We like the idea of a kitchen for breakfast every morning and a little space. After all the fees and parking etc. it was just adding up. The magic express that will pick us up and take us to the airport is a huge bonus...no rental car! I still have a lot to figure out like 1. is the Halloween party worth the price or maybe there is a different dinner & show that might be more worth the money....etc. I feel I know Disneyland so well, this is so strange to feel kind of lost.

Blog Entries

How old are the kids? Do you think the Halloween Party at DL is worth the cost? Do you like fun parades, or do you skip the parades for rides?

Cathy

My boys are 17, 14, 11. We have done the DL Halloween party 2x in the last 6 years. We really enjoyed it, just can't do it every year. They prefer to skip parades for rides. However, we all LOVE and watch world of color every trip. Hubby loves fireworks and my fav is fantasmic. Because we were going between Hawaii or Disneyworld and Disneyworld won, I was kind of thinking of the Luau show at the Polynesian hotel. Unfortunately, we can probably only afford one show/event.

Blog Entries

My advice may not be too applicable to your group then. FOR ME the highlight of the party is the parade. My favorite unit is the Haunted Mansion unit, with 'ghosts' waltzing and grave diggers making sparks on the ground with their shovels. I'm not a big character fan and I'm not a big trick-or-treat person, so the parade is what I'm really paying for. They DO have a ton of characters out for the party.

It's been EONS since I did the Luau. I think it was last century, even. With those age boys, though (I'm thinking hollow leg-syndrome) they might get more out of doing dinner at 'Ohana for a special event - since it's lots and lots of meat. And they just keep bringing it.

So good luck with your decision.

But really, if you want other opinions, I'd start a new thread asking about the Halloween party vs Luau or other special event with your group.

Cathy

First Disney World trip and we need to stay at a Marriott

For what it's worth the Luau was the biggest waste of money I have ever spent on WDW property. It was our third trip as I recall and DH had been pestering to go every trip. I love WDW and am pretty easy going but I've got to say, for me at least, this was utter pants. Dull show, hopeless/helpless service and near inedible food. Others love it and I respect that absolutely. For me. Never again and I try most things twice. It was coloured by the biggest family row ever at our shared table (not our family) so I concede that may have coloured by judgement a bit.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

While I love the Disney shows, boys of that age will probably not enjoy either show. Ohana is amazing - the view, atmosphere, and the food...excellent! I think I would seriously consider the Pirates & Pals cruise or the party. Both have a lot to offer. If uou check out past party info you will get an idea of the amount of characters present especially those rare ones - might be the best idea for extra ride time & some sought after characters. The cruise is also amazing. Would repeat it any time. Totally a unique perspective on the Wishes show that few experience.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    ... for me at least, this was utter pants.
    I can figure out from the context what this means, but I just wanted to say that I'd never heard this term before, you wacky Brit!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I feel I know Disneyland so well, this is so strange to feel kind of lost.
    Hi Tinker3, I understand exactly what you mean! My first trip to DL, I can remember rounding a corner in Frontierland to go straight to the WDW restroom I've been to a thousand times, only to realize there wasn't one there. Dooh! And what's Small World doing way over there? LOL !!

I did exactly the opposite. I grew up in SoCal and Disneyland, and the first time I visit WDW in my early 20's it was downright freaky! Liberty Square just totally confused me, and I couldn't get any handle on where Frontierland was or how it was shaped!!!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Probably a dumb question but does anyone know where I can get copies of the maps. I would love for us to all have a basic idea before we go. I am sure I can find it online, but I was hoping we could review it on the plane ride

I have extra copies of most of them I think. I need them for this weekend to help my niece pick fast passes but I would be happy to send them to you after if you want them. My niece's co-worker brought back several copies of maps for us

I sent you a message Sue, thank you so much!