Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Shirt strategy - slightly annoying

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Shirt strategy - slightly annoying

So Disney Parks has had a pretty good run with releasing unique designs for shirt online at DisneyStore. The latest ones were for ATIS and "If You Had Wings".
    http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/show...-in-March-2015

This is another, though, in a line of shirt releases that are online and not in the parks. Now, mind you, I kind of understand doing retro attractions and designs online since you may not have anyplace to put them in the parks. However, the more recent HM, Pirates, and especially the 20th Anniversary Indy shirts could easily have been in the parks. Instead we get either generic merch or attractions specific but not unique or event based. AND - paying shipping and no AP discount is annoying as well.

Is it a good business strategy - from their side yes. Save money producing few options; I can drop ship from the manufacturer instead of keeping stock (and make it look like it came from the DIsney store); and can respond faster to immediate want. However, as a customer who wants to look at the item, touch it, make a decision and then if I like it buy it - or if its event based to have it at the event or to commemorate it the next day - I am not happy. I can probably return it if I don't like it but what a hassle compared to "everyday" park merch. I wonder what will happen during the coming months - how much will be local vs online for special event/commemoration. It's just a growing trend I wish was not happening. To me - the should offer local and online, and then online can go on longer.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I guess I have to agree to some extent, but its a mixed bag, to be honest.

Some argue that Disney does special events at the parks or expos (D23, runDisney, etc) and offers merch only to those attending is not fair. (I mean, I would love to get a pair of the rD New Balance shoes, but Im not going to a rD event any time soon...) Worse yet, people get upset over the fact that people buy up merch that is there and then scalp them on eBay for a nice profit. This was a BIG complaint during one of the last runDisney events.

What does Disney do... offer some limited edition, online-only designs that may be really desirable. (Admittedly, I did partake in such a sale.) This gives an open playing field to everyone. It may also reduce scalping the limited edition merch because of accessibility to the masses.

Its a marketing dilemma for sure. Gotta keep it exclusive enough to drum up desire while still making sure that it is accessible enough to sell out of the limited edition run.

Would I rather see more adult options at the local Disney Stores? Sure. I think many adults would like to see that.
    Im just not sure if we will see limited release adult clothing to show up at the brick and mortar Disney stores anytime soon.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

For one of the 24 hour days, didn't they make the shirts available online, you could buy them and they printed your size for you after all the orders were taken? I'd guess if I really wanted the shirt, I'd pay a premium for that (by that I mean give up my AP discount.) I still remember the merch lines on the 50th. I'd rather not wait in line for hours only to find out that the shirt I wanted or my size is sold out by the time I make it to the front.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    For one of the 24 hour days, didn't they make the shirts available online, you could buy them and they printed your size for you after all the orders were taken? I'd guess if I really wanted the shirt, I'd pay a premium for that (by that I mean give up my AP discount.) I still remember the merch lines on the 50th. I'd rather not wait in line for hours only to find out that the shirt I wanted or my size is sold out by the time I make it to the front.
    yeah it was the monstrous summer party (with Mike Wizowski). the other issue I had with online was a 6-8 week delivery window after the event was completed. Its good to get a souvenir - but that's a long wait when you can get t-shirts from the super bowl, et. al, in 2 weeks. For something like the 50th (and I guess the 60th maybe) i halfway expected the long lines (but not as long as they turned out to be). That's why I say why can't they do what they did for the Monstrous summer - which was yes you can get one at the park you are visiting but you can also get one online. At least one merch item like that (and the remaining ones to be at the park).

I know its a selfish rant - but to me personally as a continuous consumer of Disney Parks' entertainment and merchandise I should expect some things to be done in my favor while I am willing to pay dollars to the Disney company. Oh well.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    yeah it was the monstrous summer party (with Mike Wizowski). the other issue I had with online was a 6-8 week delivery window after the event was completed. Its good to get a souvenir - but that's a long wait when you can get t-shirts from the super bowl, et. al, in 2 weeks. For something like the 50th (and I guess the 60th maybe) i halfway expected the long lines (but not as long as they turned out to be). That's why I say why can't they do what they did for the Monstrous summer - which was yes you can get one at the park you are visiting but you can also get one online. At least one merch item like that (and the remaining ones to be at the park).

I know its a selfish rant - but to me personally as a continuous consumer of Disney Parks' entertainment and merchandise I should expect some things to be done in my favor while I am willing to pay dollars to the Disney company. Oh well.
    Or some kind of print on demand like the design-a-tee shop at WDW. Where you pick which art you want on a shirt and pick it up later that day.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    This is another, though, in a line of shirt releases that are online and not in the parks. Now, mind you, I kind of understand doing retro attractions and designs online since you may not have anyplace to put them in the parks. However, the more recent HM, Pirates, and especially the 20th Anniversary Indy shirts could easily have been in the parks. Instead we get either generic merch or attractions specific but not unique or event based. AND - paying shipping and no AP discount is annoying as well.
    This is my issue with Disney Park gift shops in general nowadays. If I'm going to pass through a hundred different gift shops, give me a reason to stop at that particular one instead of making them all the exact same shop carrying the exact same things. Event items don't need to just be available during the event either. On the other coast, the retro EPCOT anniversary merchandise still seemed to be selling well when I was there. I'm sure 20th anniversary Indy shirts would do well at the attraction.