Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Fire at Disneyland's "it's a small world" Saturday, 2/28/15

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Fire at Disneyland's "it's a small world" Saturday, 2/28/15

Update: March 2 - Here are two photos of the charring on the ride exterior. You can click on either one to enlarge.

Update: 12:20 - Disneyland spokesperson Suzi Brown tells MousePlanet that the fire was in "foliage in a backstage area adjacent to it’s a small world," and was extinguished by the Disneyland Fire Department. There were no injuries or apparent damage, and the ride reopened Saturday night. Brown says the cause is still under investigation.

Update: 11:10
    - KABC7 reports that the ride was not damaged, and is expected to reopen tonight. (Note, Disneyland closes at Midnight).

Update 10:40 - KTLA reports the fire was reported at 9:19 pm and burned for about 30 minutes.

There has been a fire at "it's a small world" at Disneyland. We are waiting for official information from Disneyland, but video and photos have been posted all over social media, including this Twitter photo from @DisneyExaminer and an Instagram video posted by Cavin Hawkins.

I've seen lots of social media reports saying that the fire was possibly sparked by fallout from the nightly fireworks show, and that a well-timed downpour likely played a role in helping prevent the spread. The fireworks began at 9:15 tonight, and the fire was reported at 9:19.

Another Twitter photo from the @GreatFoodTruckRace5 account shows the view from the Disneyland Railroad. They also said they have video, which we're hoping they share:

KABC7 reports that the fire is out and that there are no injuries. We'll update this top post as we know more; you can post your comments below.

AVP
    Last edited by AVP; 03-02-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

That is so sad! What part of the ride is this? I can't tell. I hope there wasn't too much damage. How long did it take to put out?

Hope the ride is ok!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Totally can't tell for sure - but it looks like the scaffolding and the tarps were what was burning (and probably the front facade). Wow -sad.

EDIT - After watching the Instagram movie that MP posted on Facebook - its is more of the Attraction facade, behind the tarps. WOW!!!

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

The news reports are now saying the fire was in a nearby tree and the attraction was not damaged.

"You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

Blog Entries

BTW - after this - who still wants to put Star Wars Land back in Toontown (unless, of course, you eliminate Fireworks altogether).

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    The news reports are now saying the fire was in a nearby tree and the attraction was not damaged.
    great

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    I don't know about that. A video I saw sure seemed to show fire on some scaffolding on the facade. I agree that the attraction itself (as in, the part you go through on the boat) might not have been damaged since it reopened that same night, but I don't think damage was just limited to a tree.
    Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!

I was there and looked insane. We quickly got used out of the area & then it started to pour rain!

DLand/DCA-9/17,5/16,9/15,3/15,11/12,9/10,4/09,4/06,7/00
    1st time cruising ever was "Cruise to Nowhere 1/2011"

Is the Crab ok?

Blog Entries

Definitely not backstage based on some of the very close videos that were posted. Glad no one was hurt and the ride inside suffered no damage.

Quote Originally Posted by moofeet View Post
    Is the Crab ok?