Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Disneyland Paris Half: September 23-25, 2016

Disneyland Paris Half: September 23-25, 2016

RunDisney announced the dates of the race at the start of this morning's Princess Half. More details to follow, and hopefully soon!

Sign up to receive information on registration announcements at run.disneylandparis.com

2. # ADS

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Done and done!
    I received the green light from the hubs long ago so now I just need a roommate!

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

I may need to do this!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    RunDisney announced the dates of the race at the start of this morning's Princess Half.
    Except that it wasn't announced by runDisney and certainly not at the race itself. It was announced by Disneyland Paris. I've heard that runDisney will not be handling the event, and that the race won't be in the parks at all. For me, that would be two strikes that would make me hesitant to go.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

2016?! drat, I was really hoping it was this year!!

"If you can dream it, you can do it."
    "You can't run from trouble, there ain't no place that far."

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Except that it wasn't announced by runDisney and certainly not at the race itself. It was announced by Disneyland Paris. I've heard that runDisney will not be handling the event, and that the race won't be in the parks at all. For me, that would be two strikes that would make me hesitant to go.
    Thank you for the correction. I was initially posting what I read on social media, which was that it was announced at the start. I was not personally there. As you can see above, I shared the relevant link.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I e-mailed runDisney's press relations contact to ask about the event, and today got a call from a Walt Disney World spokesperson. I asked if he had any additional details to share, and he replied, "All we have right now are the dates." I specifically asked if this was a runDisney event, and his response was again to say, "All we have right now are the dates."

So, there you have it. runDisney won't answer any other questions about the race, and won't even discuss whether they are involved in it. My two best guesses as to what this means:

1) It IS a runDisney event, but Disneyland Paris jumped the gun in announcing the dates and runDisney isn't ready to talk about it right now.

or

2) It's NOT a runDisney event, they didn't know Disneyland Paris was making the announcement, and they haven't decided on a consistent brand message to deal with it.

Either way, this is an embarrassing situation for everyone involved, and points to a major communication problem with Disneyland Paris. If they jumped the gun, then that's one thing - we've certainly seen various divisions of the company make premature announcements before.

But my suspicion is that this is not a runDisney event (supported by seeing that they are building their own interest list rather than using runDisney's mailing list system), and that DLP is going rogue. That is... interesting, to say the least, and a major break in the "One Disney" facade. I could see Tokyo Disneyland running their own event, since they are their own operating company, but Disneyland Paris is still under the same Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Operations, U.S. and France umbrella headed by Meg Crofton.

I am very curious to see how this plays out. No matter who was originally planning to host this, I could see runDisney being saddled with the operation of this event to preserve the corporate branding.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

AND NOW, having said that, I'm still planning to go. I've been hoping this event would eventually happen, and it's a great excuse to go back to DLP.

Adrienne

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for the correction. I was initially posting what I read on social media, which was that it was announced at the start. I was not personally there. As you can see above, I shared the relevant link.
    It was announced at the start of the half. Can't remember the woman's name who made it but heard it loud and clear. Also saw the video they showed prior to the announcement with the 'hints' on what was coming.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    AND NOW, having said that, I'm still planning to go. I've been hoping this event would eventually happen, and it's a great excuse to go back to DLP.

Adrienne
    I'm going, too! Regardless of who is operating it.

I spoke with someone today who has a conference call tomorrow with regards to planning this race. She currently has no information but hopes to be able to pass some along soon.

BTW- Charity groups have been sent nothing on this event.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    It was announced at the start of the half. Can't remember the woman's name who made it but heard it loud and clear. Also saw the video they showed prior to the announcement with the 'hints' on what was coming.
    You actually heard them announce that they were doing the Disneyland Paris race? If so, then my mistake and I owe Steph an apology. I didn't hear anything, and I was in my corral about an hour before the official start time of the race. Granted, I was very far back, but I could hear all the announcers and the national anthem and as each corral was released, and I didn't hear anything. I would have also thought that if they announced the DLP race, there would have been a reaction from the runners in the earlier corrals, and it would have trickled down as those of us in the back heard the cheers and screams and whatever, and we would have known we'd missed something. I would have also expected to have heard people talking about it on the course or after the race, but I didn't know anything about DLP's announcement until I saw MousePlanet's retweets on Twitter from DLP. When did they make the announcement, and what was the reaction of the people around you? What was on the video about the DLP race? Weird that runDisney hasn't posted anything on their Facebook page or Twitter that I've seen about it and that they're refusing to answer AVP's inquiries.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    You actually heard them announce that they were doing the Disneyland Paris race? If so, then my mistake and I owe Steph an apology. I didn't hear anything, and I was in my corral about an hour before the official start time of the race. Granted, I was very far back, but I could hear all the announcers and the national anthem and as each corral was released, and I didn't hear anything. I would have also thought that if they announced the DLP race, there would have been a reaction from the runners in the earlier corrals, and it would have trickled down as those of us in the back heard the cheers and screams and whatever, and we would have known we'd missed something. I would have also expected to have heard people talking about it on the course or after the race, but I didn't know anything about DLP's announcement until I saw MousePlanet's retweets on Twitter from DLP. When did they make the announcement, and what was the reaction of the people around you? What was on the video about the DLP race? Weird that runDisney hasn't posted anything on their Facebook page or Twitter that I've seen about it and that they're refusing to answer AVP's inquiries.
    Yup. I was in G and heard it live. There was a 'whoop' that went up but oddly I heard more of "gees, that's going to be pricey" from those around me. I believe she made the announcement between introductions of Miss America and Children's Miracle Network CEO but not sure of the exact order. It's the one time I wished I carried my phone with me or I would have sent a note to AVP and company when it happened (although hearing it at 2:20 or so in the morning PST probably wouldn't have gone over well).
    RunningFool

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    It's the one time I wished I carried my phone with me or I would have sent a note to AVP and company when it happened (although hearing it at 2:20 or so in the morning PST probably wouldn't have gone over well).
    I wish you had because it would've bumped down my Sunday morning text from Wyoming a few years ago.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    I wish you had because it would've bumped down my Sunday morning text from Wyoming a few years ago.
    I'll remember that next time.

Rudy and John, the race announcers, were also making jokes about how many people were already on their phones to travel agents after the announcement.

Laughingplace and a couple other sites also reported it from the Princess as well.
    RunningFool

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    I believe she made the announcement between introductions of Miss America and Children's Miracle Network CEO but not sure of the exact order.
    Then that's really weird that they've gone radio silent on social media and otherwise about the race. I guess we'll see when other announcements come out.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Alex and I will mostly likely go.

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries
    Then that's really weird that they've gone radio silent on social media and otherwise about the race. I guess we'll see when other announcements come out.
    I'm guessing the big thing they are avoiding as AVP discovered is the question will this be a runDisney race or not. Not sure if that will be a real deal-breaker or not for many planning on attending but could be. Will be interesting to see if there is a negative impact on other 2016 /2017 races as far as registration and I hope it doesn't impact the return of ToT.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Alex and I will mostly likely go.
    Fun! Dan will most likely not be going. Between kid logistics and taking over a new company, I just don't see it happening. That's fine though, when I thought it was happening in 2015 I had planned on coming with just a roommate.

I'm guessing the big thing they are avoiding as AVP discovered is the question will this be a runDisney race or not. Not sure if that will be a real deal-breaker or not for many planning on attending but could be. Will be interesting to see if there is a negative impact on other 2016 /2017 races as far as registration and I hope it doesn't impact the return of ToT.
    I honestly will not be surprised if it's not a rD event. I think they are stretched pretty thin as it is. Plus, the fact that there was so much Disney Paris presence at SWHM weekend it makes me think that there was a lot of training, observing and planning.

One of the issues could possibly be with getting permits etc. as an outside, non-French entity.

I will most likely be going too.

Blog Entries
    One of the issues could possibly be with getting permits etc. as an outside, non-French entity.

I will most likely be going too.
    True. I hadn't thought about that.

Oh I'm totally in. I already have my name on my work time off calendar

"If you can dream it, you can do it."
    "You can't run from trouble, there ain't no place that far."

Just sent a text to the husband and the response was "So, we're not going to Key West in October 2016 then?" So that settles that

Blog Entries

For your listening pleasure. Some Disneyland Paris HM speculation starting at 13:45. If nothing else, it's fun to hear.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/a/d/2/ad2f32a...7&c_id=8450739

I was also in Corral G when the announcement was made and immediately posted the news on FB that I hoped to go. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized I'm not certain I want to attend the inaugural race, regardless of who is putting it on. Since it will be the first time, there may be many kinks in the event and that's a long way to travel to be frustrated by race logistics. My friends think we will wait a year or two to let them work out the details before we sign up.

But I can't wait to hear the details from those who do attend!

Blog Entries

This logo looks a lot like runDisney is involved.

And based on how early they've given us 2016 team numbers, I'd say they are shifting their focus to Paris soon.