Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Florida and cashless toll roads

Florida and cashless toll roads

We are planning a trip to Florida and I have some questions about cashless toll roads. I have been trying to research this online but am getting more confused so I thought I'd check with my helpful fellow padders. Itinerary - We are flying into Orlando, renting a car and going to WDW. After that we are driving to visit family in the Fort Myers area, then back north to either Legoland or Busch gardens, then back to Orlando for Universal and then fly home.

Questions- Are any of the roads "cashless" toll roads or can I pay cash on them?
    If yes, can they be reasonable bypassed?
    I know that I can buy in to the rental car companies toll paying system but they seem expensive per day item and we won't need every day.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. # ADS

Can't answer all of the questions, but here's a few tips:

1) Make sure the "Sun Pass" (EZ Pass) is swiveled so it is not active. Assuming the vehicle has a Sun Pass installed, there are instructions on the unit to say how to do this.
    1a) Make sure you veer off to the right for the cash lanes (looks like an exit, but you get right back on) when you come upon toll plazas along your route.

2) Some actual exits are "exact coins only", so be sure to bring at least some quarters with you. The alternative if you do not have the change is to take a form and mail it in.

3) Whenever paying tolls, ask for a receipt so you can prove you paid the toll in cash. I was on a trip once and didn't and somehow (I may not have properly followed rule #1, even though I went into the "cash lanes") I ended up with a single toll on the Sun Pass, and therefore had to pay the $3.95 fee for every day I was there, even if I did not go through tolls (exactly what you are trying to avoid). sinc eI had no way to prove I had paid in cash I just sucked up the 4 days worth of fees (and the one toll I paid double for) as a learning experience.

-Dave

We were there last November, and the car hire company tried to scare us into buying a Sun Pass because he said, "all the roads around are now cash free". He then showed us a laminated map on the desk, which showed the vast majority of these roads to be in Miamia and south Florida. I couldn't find one cash free toll around the central Florida area, where we were staying.

We visited the Disney parks, the Universal park area, Kennedy Space Centre, Sea World, and Legoland. Including the drive from the Orlando International Airport to Disney resort property and back again 3 weeks later, we encountered the grand total of ZERO cash free toll booths at that time.

Silvercat

(Enjoy reading trip reports? Why not try my books, "Tiggerific Travels" - all 4 books available now as e-books)

Happy Friday Everyone. I live here and I can tell you that all tolls in the Central FL area include lanes where you can use cash or something other than the SunPass. They are easily marked and you shouldn't have any trouble with them. Please remember to bring extra change with you though. Some of the smaller exits have just 1 or 2 booths. The booths are not tended by people during certain hours and you must toss your change into the plastic hopper. Then you can go on your way. There's no need for the SunPass since you pay extra. I DO have a Sunpass because it gives me a Sunpass account and I don't have to worry about toll money.

I hope you have a magical stay!
    GnP

Last edited by Goodnplenty; 01-16-2015 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks for all the replies. We will bring our cup o' change. I just wanted to verify that we could pay with money and not have to get their overpriced pass. They are charging 8.99 a day plus the cost of the tolls. Yikes! We will be sure to get receipts also.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do get receipts! Thats a great idea just in case there are any questions. Also keep track of your route just in case as well.

Now, I know a bit off topic... but for those who do drive their own vehicle to FL for vacations often, it may be worth it to get the SunPass or the SunPass Mini. It saves time and money in the long run. (And the funds never expire.)

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Google "shunpiking" and follow the leads to the area around Walt Disney World ( or whetever you're traveling). Someone's already mapped out toll-free driving, wherever possible.