Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows go on sale January 12 for existing DVC members

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Polynesian DVC details revealed

http://wdwnews.com/releases/2015/01/...ale-next-week/

We aren't DVC yet but we've been kind of waiting to see what they announce for the Poly... and they just did.

As you can imagine, THIS caught my eye:

A pull-down armoire bed showcases painted artwork from the popular Disney film, Lilo & Stitch.
    Oh my.

Oh my, indeed.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

2. # ADS

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows go on sale January 12 for existing DVC members

Current Disney Vacation Club members can purchase an ownership interest in the new Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows starting January 12, 2015. Sales will open to the general public starting February 9, and the first phase of the project is scheduled to open by April 1, 2015.

While point charts have not yet been released for the new property, Disney has said that there are only two types of rooms available - 360 Deluxe Studio Villas, and 20 Bora Bora Bungalows. There are no one-bedroom rooms, and no three-bedroom Grand Villas.

The Deluxe Studio Villas are said to be the largest at the Walt Disney World Resort, and designed to sleep up to five people. DVC rooms that sleep five people usually have one queen-size bed, one queen-size sleeper sofa and one pull-down bunk size bed. It is possible that these larger rooms will have two queen-size beds in addition to the pull-down bed.

These rooms will have one full and one half bathroom a new feature for DVC studios but will not have a washer and dryer. There will be a kitchenette and "enhanced storage space for convenience and comfort," which probably means an extra closet or built-in unit. The lack of the washer and dryer is likely to be a turn off, especially as DVC is marketed on the "home-like" experience.

The Bora Bora Bungalows are only two-bedroom units, not three-bedroom Grand Villas as many hoped. They have a capacity of 8, so we'd expect a king-size bed in one room, two queen-size beds in the second bedroom, and a queen-size sleeper sofa in the living room.

The over-water bungalows have a full kitchen, two full bathrooms, dining room, living room and come equipped with a washer and dryer.

For many, the missing bedroom is more than made up for in the other amenities offered in the bungalows, including the plunge "pool" on the private deck.

Despite the lower sleeping capacity of these bungalows, we expect them to be so popular that only DVC members who call the Polynesian their "home resort," (meaning they bought points at the Poly, instead of or in addition to points purchased at another DVC property), will be able to book them, taking advantage of the 11-month advanced booking window afforded to home resort owners. It's doubtful that there will be much availability at the 7-month window when all other DVC owners can make reservations.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

No 1-bedroom units, so no thank you.

DVC Mike

An introductory price of $160/point seems pricey, compared to VGF at $145 a short time ago. The conversion of hotel rooms to studios (on the cheap) and no 1-bedroom units makes this unpalatable to me.

DVC Mike

DVC Mike

Blog Entries

Wow. Guess we will never be staying in a bungalow. We only have 200 points and I can't see only getting a a night or two for what gets me a whole week at other DVCs.

Going on our first Disney Cruise
    Very Merrytime Cruise 12/5/2022
    ~Katrina

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know a lot of current and prospective DVC members have been chomping at the bit to stay at one of the bungalow.
    I think for many of us, it will never happen. I mean, even if you were able to pool points on the rental market, you are still looking at well over $1000/night, and in many cases, well over $1500/night.
    Hate to think what the cash price would be.

Hey Mike, did you sell off some of your contracts? Thought you pretty much had a contract at each location. (and thanks for the extra info..)

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    Hey Mike, did you sell off some of your contracts? Thought you pretty much had a contract at each location. (and thanks for the extra info..)
    Yes, I sold off my VWL, AKV, BCV and VGC points, but added on at VGF. I'm down to 3 home resorts.
    DVC Mike

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

Thanks for the info! Before we bought DVC, staying at the Poly was on my Disney bucket list. No way can we afford, either money or point wise, to stay in a bungalow. But, maybe we will stay in a studio for a few nights. We are 1BR people, so I don't think we could hang in a studio for longer than a few days. But, my kids are almost to the sweet spot where sharing a room is bearable for short periods. I consider this sweet spot like ages 5-10. So, maybe on a split stay. I like how they are super close to TTC. Seems to make more sense to walk over there than the Poly stop.

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post

I don't see in this floor plan how it could sleep 5.
    Do the current Poly rooms have separate shower and tub?
    Cathy

Blog Entries

The rectangle in front of the TV stand is a pull down bed. 2 in the bed, 2 in the pull out couch and one on the pull down bed.
    I don't know about the bathrooms.

~Katrina

Blog Entries

Thanks for explaining that. That's going to be a crowded room with everything pulled out for sleeping!

Cathy

Blog Entries

Yup. For that kind of money/points I dont want to be on top of every one else.

~Katrina

Blog Entries

It is tight... but it is also in response to a lot of families of 5 that were once stuck having to get a 1BR unit at some places* that sleep 5 or a 2 BR unit in order to accommodate the family.

*Not all 1BR villas across DVC resorts sleep 5. (BLT and AKV were some of the first.) I think changes are happening with different renovations that will provide accommodations for such.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Blog Entries

Oh, I definitely understand the need - and it's great when you do have a smaller kids -- but I was just imagining that for my sister who has 2 teens and an 11 year old (all boys) and how that would just be way too close of quarters!

Cathy

Yeah, I think smaller kids is the key. My thought upon seeing the room configuration is that each cub (3 and 5) could have their own bed, so there would be less fighting about who is on whose side or keeping the other one awake.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    ...but I was just imagining that for my sister who has 2 teens and an 11 year old (all boys) and how that would just be way too close of quarters!
    Yep, I know what you mean there. The good news is that since the sleeping arrangements outside of the queen bed can all be "put away" during the day does at least give some impression of extra room even with 5 people.

I know that in a 1BR at BLT, there was the fold out bed and a fold out chair. With them both folded out, the living room area was pretty much consumed. I would expect this to be similar, but it will depend on the fold down that is under the TV. I mean, the fold out chair at other locations was actually quite long, and comfortable, to the point where it would be ok for an adult.