Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Trip Reports

April 11

Since we were bound for dinner at Earl of Sandwich in DTD, we parked at Mickey and Friends and walked over. The kids humored us and ordered their dinners from Earl. Although the wife and I are big EoS fans, no doubt the kids would rather hit up their favorite spots in the park. To their credit, they didn't mention eating elsewhere and I appreciated their willingness to accept that once in a while it's not about them. In retrospect, oldest rather enjoyed it - he inhaled all his Italian and nearly half his sister's Club.

On the other hand, youngest had no qualms making it clear he desired a hot dog. Accordingly, the 5 of us sat to eat at Coke Corner. Crowded as it was, we navigated to spots with lines just a couple minutes or so: iasw, DLRR boarded at ToonTown & exited and NOS, Splash twice, Pooh, BTMRR, and Pirates. Youngest was over the moon for the reopening of Splash, so much that once wasn't enough. Oh, and while stopped at Main Street Station the conductor coaxed youngest into announcing "All aboard!" in the P.A. Made his night. Happened so fast there wasn't time to snap a pic, but as you can see he was glowing afterward:

album
    Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

2. # ADS

Love the photo! Wish I could have heard his announcement. Goodness, it wasn't that long ago that he was trying to pronounce, "To Infinity and Beyond!"

April 15

Making time to get to the resort with two busy youngsters in the middle of a weekday is not easy. Both kids have to finish all homework and chores, do their independent reading in the car on the way to Anaheim, and DD has to dip out of her hour horseback riding lesson 15 minutes early just to ensure we make it in time for the 7pm Wednesdays with Walt show. All the while my mind is filled with thoughts of "Is it worth the trouble?" -AND- "What if the show is a dud? and for all this?"

Resoundingly I can say the evening's show was absolutely beyond a shadow of any doubt worth all the trouble and then some. Tonight we viewed a tribute to the Golden Horseshoe Revue, which aired Sept. 23, 1962 and honored the 10,000 performance of the show. The kids' eyes were opened to an entire world of entertainment they'd never imagined. Wally Boag and Betty Taylor: incredible performers. They just don't make 'em like that anymore. We laughed almost to the point of crying. It's the best time I've had with the kids in a while. The show also featured (who I think was) a young and very striking Annette Funicello. But Wally Boag absolutely steals the show. He arrives in the third act and it's one continuous laugh after another from there. My kids have known Golden Horseshoe as host to both Billy Hill and Laughing Stock Co. and more recently as the place we occasionally eat chicken nuggets ... oldest captured a feeling shared by us all when he said "Man, I wish they still had this show at the saloon."

We got on 6 rides (two w/ fastpass) before heading home. Space Mountain, Dumbo, BTMRR, HM, Splash, and Jungle Cruise.

photos
    Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

When do they announce if the Wednesdays with Walt is a 45 minute show or a 65 minute show? The week we're there Goofy is the topic, and he's my favorite. But I don't think my kids could sit through longer than the 45 minute one, unless it has a good amount of Goofy cartoons. And most likely I'd at least have to bring the youngest even if my husband and DD chose to do something else.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebeeonarose View Post
    When do they announce if the Wednesdays with Walt is a 45 minute show or a 65 minute show? .
    I've wondered that, myself. We find out when we show up. Perhaps there's a way to get the info in advance though ...

I'd ask in this thread: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/show...days-With-Walt

When do they announce if the Wednesdays with Walt is a 45 minute show or a 65 minute show? The week we're there Goofy is the topic, and he's my favorite. But I don't think my kids could sit through longer than the 45 minute one, unless it has a good amount of Goofy cartoons. And most likely I'd at least have to bring the youngest even if my husband and DD chose to do something else.
    You can leave early from the screening. Just sit at the far end of the Opera House by the exit doors. Then you won't have to squeeze by anyone else.

May 6

It intrigues me that Walt Disney's intentions and how he'd feel now about the make-up of the current park are never far from my kids' minds. Making our way up Thunder Trail, daughter spied the remains of Mine Train Through Wonderland and said it'd probably break Walt's heart that his old ride is no longer operating. Not so fast, I told her. I think Walt would understand. He said as long as there is imagination in the world, Disneyland will never be completed. It's evolved. It's evolving as we speak. What would Walt think? It's food for thought. It's a question will probably be examined with regularity in the coming year as the 60th is celebrated and "To all who enter this happy place: welcome" is replayed.

The Disneyland Showtime featured at Wednesdays with Walt certainly had a post-Walt turn of (60's to the 70's) decade vibe to it. Sure enough, when I got home and researched it, it was filmed in 1970. With the Osmonds and Kurt Russell, corniness and subpar music abounds (including a Russell rendition of "Sugar Sugar"). It was cute and playful and innocent - Walt's spirit lived on in the episode in those regards even though Walt himself was noticeably absent.
    The final 10ish minutes were devoted to featuring the newest DLand ride: Haunted Mansion. This spot was narrated by Kurt Russell. Far and away this was the best part of the show. Daughter enjoyed it too.

Daughter also enjoyed Smokejumpers Grill in DCA. It was our first sampling of the place since it reopened. Taste Pilots was a family favorite and had the unique appeal of being a place everyone could get something and be happy. That's true of the new menu (which is nearly identical to the old menu) and I dig the theming and layout as much if not more than before.

These were the rides: Pirates, Indiana Jones Adventure, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Big Thunder petting zoo, Wednesdays w/ Walt, California Screamin', Jumpin' Jellyfish, Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, Tower of Terror, Francis' Ladybug Boogie, Heimlich's Chew Chew.

And daughter traded some pins throughout the night. Here she's doing just that and being gregarious with a CM:

These are the pictures.

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    May 6The Disneyland Showtime featured at Wednesdays with Walt certainly had a post-Walt turn of (60's to the 70's) decade vibe to it. Sure enough, when I got home and researched it, it was filmed in 1970. With the Osmonds and Kurt Russell, corniness and subpar music abounds (including a Russell rendition of "Sugar Sugar"). It was cute and playful and innocent - Walt's spirit lived on in the episode in those regards even though Walt himself was noticeably absent.

The final 10ish minutes were devoted to featuring the newest DLand ride: Haunted Mansion. This spot was narrated by Kurt Russell. Far and away this was the best part of the show. Daughter enjoyed it too.
    I would have LOVED to have seen this episode on the big screen, as I have fond memories from when it originally aired (I was a pre-teen and developed a crush on Donny Osmond that would take me through to...today - LOL!); unfortunately, I couldn't swing the trip! I'm glad you and DD got to see it and had an overall great time at the parks as well.
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

May 9

We made it to see the Hatbox Ghost and I managed a better than average picture. Once we mentioned it to youngest and showed him the video online, he was bound and determined to ride Haunted Mansion. Somewhat to our surprise, oldest two used our last hour at the resort to attend two Animation Academies and Grizzly River, so they missed HM.

Earlier that evening, sometime in the hour between when we arrived/rode Mater's to when we rode Francis' Ladybug, DW managed to lose one of her silver hoop earrings.
    It's only worth mentioning because it's prologue to Disney Lost & Found in particular and Disney service in general proving to be among the greatest in the world. I insisted DW fill out the lost and found paperwork; the CM made detailed notes about the earring, it's size, clasp, etc. Two days later, in the mail we received the earring, unharmed in perfectly wearable condition. Incredible. We've lost/left something behind on an airplane once that should've been perfectly findable/ returnable but you get the sense in the lost & found process that the employees don't give a rip about you or your item. We ended up never seeing the lost item again. And it wasn't a small item, either, which is why I'd insist it should be returnable. I'd guess that scenario is similar many places. Contrast that with Disney who takes the time effort to get an item as small as an earring in the right hands ... and mails out all the found items at no cost to the customers, no less. A few years back oldest lost a beanie in DCA and, sure enough, there it was in mail less than a week later. Always, always, always report your lost items. We're 2 for 2 getting them back.

The crowds and the kids sucked the life outta us adults so the trip, for the most part, is forgettable. With a few exceptions - like this little fella getting his first Mickey ears.

He never asks for anything so when he did we were more than happy to waive the one-trip waiting period and get them. (since the older two got in the habit of asking for EVERYTHING, we make them wait one trip before we even consider letting them buy it. 9 times out of 10 they forget about it).

only 4 pictures this trip

Such a cutie, love his ears.

Great pic of Hatbox Ghost!

Amazing they found her earing! Like a needle in a hay stack.
    We left pillows at a hotel once. Called that day and told them. They "couldn't" find them! Really?

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Such a cutie
    His mom concurs, not that she is partial or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by josephfive View Post
    Great pic of Hatbox Ghost!
    Thanks. I meant to mention I found a new (to me, at least) Haunted Mansion t shirt at ToT and bought it. Hatbox Ghost is featured on it. Here, see for yourself. It's this design.
    That's from a page about new HM merchandise (dated August 7, 2014) for the 45th anniversary of HM. Not really new stuff, but we didn't have AP's in 2014, so, new to me nonetheless.

Amazing they found her earing! Like a needle in a hay stack.
    I know, right.

May 20

It's a my three son's trip. Since I only have two, dear nephew serves as the third.

Here they are on Screamin', at Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, in line for RSR & BTMRR, and finally seated for Wednesday's w/ Walt:

Every time I think Wednesdays with Walt can't get any cooler, they go and have a night like tonight and completely top themselves. For tonight's "A Goofy Celebration" they had none other than the voice of Goofy himself, Bill Farmer, on hand as a guest speaker. It was fantastic. Oldest got to ask him a question. Unfortunately my phone died right before he took the stage, so no pic. One of the Disney big wigs also spoke (I did get a picture of this gentleman). For the final 20ish minutes we screened some classic Goofy animation footage. My kids eat these Wednesday with Walt up. Even youngest. Thanks, AP Events! Big hats off to ya' for dreaming up these shows.

Since the May 22 twenty-four hour party isn't my scene, this was our calm before the storm excursion to the park. The older boys got in Soarin', Challenge Trail, Screamin', Francis, Tower, RSR, BTMRR, Big Thunder Petting Zoo, Haunted Mansion, Splash, Wednesday's with Walt, Indiana Jones Adventure, and PotC. With the exception of Screamin' and Indiana Jones (which youngest is too vertically challenged for), the little fella rode all those rides with 'em. To fill the void youngest and I rode Silly Symphony Swings, King Triton's Carrousel 3x, and BTMRR 3x.

all the pictures

Question what was Woody doing in his boot?

Keep a cap on your radiator & a smile on your bumper

Quote Originally Posted by letshavefun View Post
    Question what was Woody doing in his boot?
    When the little guy says to Woody "there's a snake in your boot", Woody pretends to chase his tail for a second, then bends down to check his boot. He also reacts to stuff like "somebody poisoned the water hole" and the such, but the snake/ boot one is funniest.

Aww that's awesome.

Keep a cap on your radiator & a smile on your bumper

Quickie Review...

we went to the resort the last two weekends to see the new shows at both parks...We absolutely loved the new electrical parade and fireworks at Disneyland. Yesterday we went to see World of Color at DCA which was underwhelming after having see last weeks shows at the Disneyland park. It didn't help that there was alot of fire effects in the show which upset our 11 year old autistic child. We knew there would be some stuff as we had gotten a review from another person, but we didn't know how much it would affect our son. If you have a pyrophobic child, stay in the back area of WOC.
    On the other side,, we were able to to Radiator Racers (with fast passes), and almost all of the attractions he likes.

With all the fun and excitement (and crowds) of our trip I forgot to go to the Wednesdays with Walt. So bummed to hear I missed the voice of Goofy. Glad you enjoyed it.

June 3

At about 4:25 we checked in and got our wristbands for the 7pm Wednesdays with Walt show. DD was insistent on making a fastpass run alone while I stayed put and waited. She found the Space Mountain passes tapped out and Indiana Jones Adventure not operating (hence no FP distribution). It was loud, crowded, and in the middle of a Soundsational parade when she called with the news. Instead of pushing luck and going for a BTMRR pass, I told her to come on back and meet me by the turnstiles to head over to DCA. The message got lost in all the commotion apparently. Panic set in when DD couldn't find me near Main St Square in the parade crowd - since I was waiting by the turnstiles by then. Eventually we met up, but bless her heart it wasn't easy. She had a phone and knows almost any spot in the park to meet and how to get there, so I wasn't concerned about getting separated ... but we didn't anticipate being unable to hear one another above amplified parade soundtrack. Lesson learned.

From there the evening went smoother. I knew going in it's a grad night and what to anticipate, and so my expectations were tempered. We did what we could. Screamin', Francis' Ladybug Boogie, Tower of Terror, Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. An early evening vanilla cone at Paradise Pier, a later evening dinner at Golden Horseshoe, and the Walt show.

Wednesdays with Walt wasn't bad, necessarily, but it didn't live up to others we've seen. Here's the "Man and the Moon" wikipedia page. I grew up on Twilight Zone re-runs and this had the feel of a Rod Serling production in a way. In that regard it took me back. The audience got a kick out of the hardware (i.e. phones, computers, mechanical stuff) made to look futuristic, or what passed as "futuristic" then. Bear in mind this episode is from 1955. That said, I'd guess for that day and age it was quite cutting edge. These days, it's comedic judging from the audience reaction.

At the store in Critter Country I picked up this 60th T for dear wife:

photo album

Can she text? We find texting helps in that type of situation. Sometimes you just can't hear.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Can she text? We find texting helps in that type of situation. Sometimes you just can't hear.
    She definitely can text on my iPhone 6, which (had we anticipated the noise) I would've given her and kept the "kid phone" for myself. The kid phone is a basic non data LG with a traditional keypad. It makes/receives calls and texts but the texting on it is a chore. Her older brother recently figured it out.

Ah. I figured it was a pretty basic phone. I hated t9 so I always turned it off on my phones. It was easier for me to hit the number extra times. G could t9 text one handed without looking. (That's when you type the number for the word.) My mom started texting when I told her she could turn it off.

June 15

We made a full night of it. Good times. Let's see, DW and the littles hit up Redwood Creek Challenge Trail while oldest boy and I attempted to get a DL fastpass for later. No luck. This was 6pm and they were gone, gone. I presume a couple could've been had: BTMRR (which we tried and it was down) and/or Splash Mountain which I elected not to hike back to and ended up regretting later. Aerial's we rode. Oldest two rode Screamin' while DW, youngest and I hit up Maters Junkyard Jamboree - over time that ride has really grown on us. We met back up and rode Francis' as a party of five.

Turtle Talk w/ Crush is always one our favorite things to do as a family, but tonight was a cut above the usual. First of all, the Crush had a remarkable sense of humor which can actually make or break the show, IMO. DW and I laughed so hard we cried. I swear this comedy routine - when done right - is by far funnier for the adults than the kids. Second, the show was so sparsely attended all five of us got to talk to Crush, although the two adults didn't do so by choice. When oldest asks him to name all 65 of his kids and he delves into it, it's hysterical. You probably have to be there but it goes something like this:
    "Let's see, there's Michelle, My-shell, His-shell, Her-shell, Their-shell, Your-shell, Our-shell, Slater, Zach, Screech, Kelly, Lisa, & Jessie, then there's Mary, Kate, and Ashley, Chandler, Joey, Ross, Rachel, Phoebe, & Monica, and let's see John, Paul, George, and Ringo .... Michael, Tito, Jermaine, Randy, LaToya, Janet. Then I have Crush, jr., Crush, jr., Crush, jr., Crush, jr., Crush, jr., Crush, jr., Jeffery, Crush, jr., Crush, jr., Crush, jr., Crush, jr., Crush, jr., Crush, jr., Crush, jr., .... and our newest family member: Keanu."
    Oh, I almost forgot to mention, the question youngest asked was completely out of leftfield (by this I mean usually the kids prep their questions ahead of time or ask us what we suggest they ask, but he thought of this on the fly I think). He asked, "What's your favorite song?" to which Crush went into an inspired rendition of "Hey, Dude" to the tune of (you probably guessed by now) "Hey, Jude".

Soarin' over California capped it off for our night in DCA. At 10:15 when we got into DL, Main Street and the square were already impacted with parade-goers for the 11:00 evening parade. I spoke with a CM to inquire which end of the park the parade would end at, Main Street Square or it's a small world? "it's a small world is where it ends. I highly suggest you find a spot back there - it's a lot less crowded there." Say no more, we'll do that. And we did. DW was more than happy to hold the spot, which we found between Storybook Land Canal Boats and iasw, but much closer to the canal boats. DW & youngest each got a churro; oldest two split a popcorn bucket and I was happy to get the souvenir. Most of the buckets I have at the house and in my classroom are several years old. The one I got tonight has 60th anny decor on it. Yay.
    While DW held down the fort and read her Kindle, the kids and I made a failed attempt to get on Splash, which to my surprise had a 25-30 minute standby wait ... at 10:30 on a fairly cool night, wth? Perhaps this is the new normal and I'll have to retrieve FP's to board Splash late at night, although I've never had to before. The lines for Pooh and Pirates: too long. HM and BTMRR: both down. Enough of this, I thought. I'm going to sit and wait for the parade.

The parade was good. Oddly, I don't have a lot to say about it. Except maybe this: for my and older generations of Disneyland veterans, Disney has a tall order to produce a night parade we'll be wowed by. Fair or not, any and every night parade will be held up to the standard of Main Street Electrical Parade. Fair or not, I'm partial to Main Street Electrical if for no other reason than nostalgia alone. On technical merit and artistry who knows which parade is better? ... you can have all that. I'd take Main Street Electrical Parade over this one eight days a week. Shoot me. I like what I like. That said, the parade was good.

The kids and DW stayed in the park to ride Casey, jr. and Buzz's while I fetched the car. A great first trip of summer vacation.

The photo album for the night has 27 pictures in it.

July 6
    The Mouseplanet DLR Update detailing the weekend of Independence Day noted "As it happens, the holiday crowds were much lighter than expected". We found the same to be true Monday evening of the 6th. Youngest is now precisely 42 inches tall and that can mean only one thing: Goofy's Sky School is the next DCA ride to check off his list. Well, one of two but we'll get to the other in a minute. Not only did we ride Goofy's, we walked off and right back on for a total of 5 Goofy rides. Before Goofy's we rode Mater's; after Goofy's we rode Toy Story Midway Mania and Radiator Springs Racers. Exiting RSR we noticed the hole in the sky left by the World of Color pyrotechnics:

We finished out the night in Disneyland on Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, Dumbo, and Mr. Toad's.

July 6 photos

July 11
    The other DCA ride with a 42" height requirement is Grizzly River Run. I happened to grab the ponchos heading out the door and that's ironic because we NEVER bring the ponchos to DLR. Last time we travelled anywhere with them probably was when we went to WDW 16 months ago. The line was about 10 minutes so we figured: why not?
    Given the weather and time of day, the ponchos were a must for GRR: it was just about dusk and fairly cool. He was a little freaked out for a short second but overall it was a fun ride.

For the second trip in a row, we made it on Toy Story Midway Mania with less than a 15 minute wait. That's unprecedented. Radiator Springs Racers last and over to Disneyland. DW and older two hit up Starbucks and Jungle Cruise while youngest and I rode Splash and Haunted Mansion. We 5 rode together BTMRR. I headed to get the car while they stayed and rode Buzz's.
    The castle looks incredible these days:

July 11 photos