Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Trip Reports

2015 Trip Reports

We've never celebrated the a new year in the parks. To kick off our annual passes, we spent 4 days in Anaheim to do just that. Along with my family of 5, DW's parents and our nephew accompanied.

Dec. 30 & 31
    The kids know opportunities to ice skate are not frequent, so they weren't about to let the rain, wind, and cold stop them. Since passes weren't to be activated until the morning of the 31st, we spent a few hours the night of the 30th in Downtown Disney.

I was deliberate about getting little Walt (now 3yo and having just passed the 40 inch threshold) on Soarin' first thing since it'll soon be going away for a while. He wasn't quite as impressed as I anticipated. Or maybe he had Splash Mtn. on the brain - it's about all he's talked about for weeks leading up to the trip. We rode it next. Once wasn't enough for the little fella so once more into the breach we went. It's an instant classic for the little guy. He's going to have to go without for awhile because this one, too, is nearly in shutdown mode.

Since it also will be unavailable soon, lunch at Hungry Bear was a no-brainer. I spied the Florida State Marching Band on my way out of Disneyland and snapped a pic. This, the day before their Rose Bowl game versus Oregon.
    Back to the Anaheim RV Park for naps and dinner before heading to DCA for New Year's Eve festivities. Aladdin. Redwood Creek. Fiddler, Fifer, & Practical for some Starbucks, Frozen Fun, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. Was a great, albeit cold, night of fun highlighted by our stop at the Corn Dog Castle. This completed the return to Disneyland Resort for me. Sorry, it may not seem like much but devouring my second dinner (at 10:30 - a hot link dog) was like a welcome home. Father in law couldn't resist and got one too, and my oldest son and nephew each went for the non hot link variety.
    The non-night owls headed back around 11:00, when DD and I ventured to Disneyland at last. I had a pocketful of Space Mountain fastpasses good 11:30 to 12:30 that I had retrieved about 12 hours earlier. The walk from turnstiles to Space that usually takes 5 minutes took 15 - it was that crowded. People were camped on Main St. and not budging as they awaited fireworks.
    We rode Space both before and after the midnight festivities. We're tired by now but not about to let up. Disneyland stays open until 2 am almost never so we weren't about to call it a night. Pirates. Thunder - our first time on the refurbished; loved it. Matterhorn. Jingle Cruise, which I thought is really really cool and don't recall ever seeing this overlay before. A churro on the way out for DD at Main Street Square. Great morning and night, and morning again.

Let's see, and youngest rode a whole lists of firsts today: Soarin', Splash, Star Tours 2, Tower of Terror (check out the pic below, lol), Silly Symphony Swings.

The full photo collage is here

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

2. # ADS

I love that lillian will stay up with you. That face on Walt on ToT, oh my. I think that is the face I make. I can't believe how big he has gotten. Sounds like fun was had all around.

So glad you posted. I don't know you, but I love to read about your trips. We have passes until June, but the year we didn't, you were my gateway to the park.

Oh my! The kids have gotten so big (but I'm sure you already know that)! I still remember the baby in his stroller at the Halloween party. Love the ride photos and the ice skating photo, too. Wasn't the wind wild the night of the 30th? Doesn't look like the kids minded one bit!

Loved it!! Thanks for sharing and I have to agree with all the others, it has been fun watching your kids grow up. I wish we could find a way to make it not go so fast.
    Thanks again,
    Ellen

So glad your back! Love reading your reports.

Thanks everyone for the warm reception. It's good to be back both in the parks and here in the trip reports forum.

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Jan. 1 & 2

New Year's Day was a more relaxed affair than the day before. After ringing in the new year until 2:30am, there wasn't much choice but to sleep in and head in the parks midday even though it's the worst possible time to arrive. There's a different mindset to adopt when you arrive late. Since there are no short lines or fastpasses to be had, you take what the park gives so to speak. Things without lines, namely. Two such things we set out for today included Santa's Village (or whatever they're calling that area back by Big Thunder Ranch) and the Main Street Holiday Parade.

I talked everyone in to taking a whirl on the Jingle Cruise since I was so enthralled by it the night before and they hit up Astro Blasters too while DD and I held a parade spot. Speaking of holding the parade spot, we camped out at the base of the DL Railroad station steps and had a great view of the flag retreat while we waited for the 4:45 parade.
    The parade was entertaining, as expected.

We simply had to get father-in-law in RSR since he was on the second day of a 2 day hopper with no telling when he'd be back to the parks. He, DD, and I rode single rider. The two of them ended up one behind the other in the same car.

The one set of fastpasses I was able to get were for Big Thunder, so we returned to finish out the night at Disneyland Park for a ride on it. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is a family favorite. For nearly the entire year of our previous AP's, it was shut down, so returning as a family tonight was great. All agreed the modifications - particularly the blasts - are nice upgrades. We called it a night in the parks relatively early, headed back, and watched some New Year's night college football.

Dec. 31 and Jan. 1 the opportunity never presented itself to get the little guy on his first Radiator Springs ride. The 31st fastpass distribution (and the ride itself) were down when we stopped by; Jan. 1 we rode, but he's too young for single rider. So on the morning of January 2 he and I rose alone at 6:30am to be in the park at 7:45 for rope drop and a dash to the front of the line. It was well worth it. For days after our trip he'd tell people "I rode Radiator Springs Racers ... and won!"

The rest of the crew was sleeping in back at the RV Village. We didn't have long before having to be back for 11:00am checkout, but long enough to ride Mickey's Fun Wheel, Luigi's, Tuck n' Roll's, Francis's Ladybug Boogie 3 times (what a blast and, IMO, the most underrated ride at the resort), and Monsters Inc.
    When you head back to Toy Story parking at 9:45am, there's a good chance you'll have a bus all to yourselves:

photos

Of course, he won. So, cute.

Jan. 10

We would've stayed home to avoid the cold and rain, but with the closure of Critter Country a day or two away we braved the elements for the chance at a final whirl or two on Splash and Pooh. The little fella was unmerciful giving me the business last trip because we skipped "Mr. Potato Head" as he calls it (Toy Story Midway Mania). So against my better judgment we soldiered through the line tonight. It wasn't all that bad - about 25 minutes wait. Then Silly Symphony Swings. DD's bread and butter next - soft serve at Paradise Pier:

We weren't exactly efficient, going all the way across the park to Monsters before doubling back to finish at RSR. While in Hollywood a stop at Award Weiners was due:

Employed a strategy for RSR I learned on MP years ago. Entered the queue at 8:55 prior to a 9:00 close. With no Fastpass slowing down the standby riders, things move relatively smooth and quick.

For the record we did not win but the little guy insisted we did. Who'm I to argue? In Disneyland we hit up Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters, small world holiday, Pooh and Splash twice. A few more photos here.

Jan. 20

This one was very much spur of the moment. It could've just as easily not happened. I'm sure glad it did. The night was fun, peaceful, reflective. It was, in a way, bittersweet. Older two are old enough to ride alone and venture off for a bit, and did. They decided against the wait for IJA, instead opting for Jungle Cruise, Pirates, some beignets from French Market, Tarzan's Tree House, and Buzz's. While they were off adventuring, DW and I had some alone time with youngest through Fantasyland in a way we hadn't been alone there with a (nearly) 4 year-old since, well, six years ago when our oldest was 4. Our date with the little guy was nostalgic and reminiscent of a time that sure seems more recent than six years ago. Meanwhile, that former little boy is navigating the park on his own while just a day ago, it seemed, he was the one clutching our arms on the tight Thunder Mountain turns and belly laughing on teacups and holding our hands as second nature. Next thing is he'll be driving and off to college. I kid, but not really. His tenth birthday recently wasn't easy on his mom. I took it more in stride, but with nights like tonight I'm seeing things from her perspective.

Anyway, youngest has had a Astro Orbiter fixation so that was first up. ST2 and then some dinner. Four separate eating establishments for 5 people. Oldest got take out chicken fusilli pasta from Pizza Port and met us at Golden Horseshoe where daughter gets the nuggets, but not before we stopped off at Coke Corner to pick up a hot dog for youngest. DW and I had hearts set on baked potatoes from Harbour Galley but missed them by an hour so settled for bread bowls from that place next to Pirates. The bread bowls are not bad in a pinch, but we should've thought through plan B a little better. I mean, if we're paying that we might as well upgrade to a couple dinners - pot roast and fried chicken - at Plaza Inn. I digress. The kids ate well and all were happy, and then older two set out alone.

On DW's and my date with youngest we did Thunder, Pinocchio, teacups, Dumbo, Buzz, and Thunder again (this time as a fivesome). Youngest calls it "the dinosaur ride" because of its fossils sticking out of the mountain.

Feb. 3

The upside of youngest having a noon Dr. appt. is the remainder of the day is freed up for, what else?, a Disneyland run.
    High fives all around.

In order, we visited Buzz's Astro Blasters, Francis's Ladybug Boogie, Aeriel's Undersea Adventure, Toy Story Midway Mania, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, Monsters Inc., Turtle Talk w/ Crush, Pixar Play Parade, PotC, Haunted Mansion, and The Enchanted Tiki Room.

Much of it was standard fare with a couple exceptions. Enchanted Tiki Room was a first for the young fella - today he was trying to recall the tune and words to the Tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki room song. I helped him with that and we sang it together. The other revelation was Turtle Talk w/ Crush. On the drive home that night, from the backseat there were many of "You so totally rock! .... Duuuuuude."

Before heading into Monsters Inc. a visit to Award Weiners was due. The boy needed a pit stop for his DLR favorite - a hot dog. I only mention it because about two hours later we were heading out of DL and another pit stop was in order, this time at Coke Corner for what other than a hot dog.

more pictures

You have the best trip reports. I love living vicariously through you and your family. Your kids growing up makes me nostalgic too and reminds me when I stopped buying APs. My sons were beginning to be a little "Disneyland, again??" and I never wanted that to happen. Now they are teenagers and are wanting to go with all their friends.
    I think little Walt is just the perfect age to visit DLR.

Quote Originally Posted by josephfive View Post
    You have the best trip reports. I love living vicariously through you and your family. Your kids growing up makes me nostalgic too and reminds me when I stopped buying APs. My sons were beginning to be a little "Disneyland, again??" and I never wanted that to happen. Now they are teenagers and are wanting to go with all their friends.
    I think little Walt is just the perfect age to visit DLR.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoy the reports.

Feb. 7

Oldest and I had a night alone. I gave him carte blanche and, while he could've mentioned anything and I anticipated he'd want to invite over a friend, somewhat to my surprise he said "Well I'd really like to go to Disneyland if you're not too tired." Tired or not, we're going. To piggyback on what josephfive said, the days may be numbered that my ten year old is eager to go to the resort with his old dad.

First order of business once in the park was dinner. Me personally I carried my Del Taco in but the boy held out for his favorite thing in or outside the park: fusilli chicken alfredo at Pizza Port. It's your world, young. He's a big fan of the blasts on the "new" Thunder Mountain so we rode it.

Animation Academy was our next stop. He's always been a student of Walt Disney history (his current 4th grade biography is on Walt), particularly animation, and he demonstrates remarkable attention to detail and patience for someone his age. I'm always game when he's up for AA. Olaf was the subject. Afterward we hung around and chatted with the castmembers including the artist. We inquired when, if ever, they might restart drawing non-Frozen characters. It was simply out of curiosity, not intended to stir the pot. But boy, you should've heard the groans of exasperation from both ladies. They're over Frozen, you can tell. Please, please, please, they said, visit member services and ask for some of the old subjects (Goofy, Mickey, whomever) back or maybe even new ones like Beta Max. We did just that on our way out of the park later, and were told to use the 'contact us' website feature to be guaranteed feedback.
    Anyway, the castmembers invited us back to the next session and so we returned 10 minutes later to draw Marshmellow. The artist made her drawing a gift to the boy:

Next: Francis's Ladybug Boogie because, well, it's there and it's great. BUT, once it was over I realized time was really of the essence and we may not have time enough before DCA closes to accomplish our two to-do's: Screamin' -AND- RSR. We go to the Screamin' queue at 9:36 for what was purported to be a 25 minute wait, but 15 minutes later we were on. Once off, it's 9:55 and we're in a dead sprint to RSR and made it there. Annoyingly, they shut down the single rider line about 2 minutes before the standby (wth?) so standby was our only option and we took it.

The night rounded out with Haunted Mansion, Star Tours, and Autopia. Fun night. So much more low maintenance being w/ a ten year old versus the last visit w/ 3yo. No stroller tonight; no backpack. It was kinda liberating for lack of a better word. But no less tiring, apparently:

photo album

Oh my goodness, your reports bring me back to the Disneyland trips when our kids were young (and we were too I appreciate the fun you share with us.

Feb. 14

By hitting refresh enough times on the DLR dining reservation page, eventually I was able to get a 6pm table at Steakhouse 55 - and only about 48 hours in advance. Tea4two gave me some timely advice on the place and DW and I were off, after a busy day that included 2 kids' basketball games and two soccer matches.

I called ahead of time and was told although there were some special Valentine's Day menu offerings, the full normal menu would be fully available and we could order off it, which was a relief because I had my heart set on lobster bisque as a starter. It wasn't available after all, at least not in its standard form. Lobster bisque was on the night's prix fixe menu and, although anything on the prix fixe menu is available a la carte, this particular night's lobster bisque had three or so different things glazed and/or dalloped and/or garnished on it that aren't a part of their typical lobster bisque and weren't appealing. Thanks but no thanks.
    DW got hearts of romaine which comes w/ caesar and was outstanding. For an entree I got the NY Strip steak, DW and I split the garlic green beans and mashed potatoes sides and she ordered her all time favorite: salmon. The salmon comes topped w/ rye or some such. DW considered it remarkably bland. I tried it and agreed. My NY strip was quite good. The best thing at the table was the garlic green beans.
    Someone on Yelp described Steakhouse 55 as a 5 in terms of ambiance, 4 for service, 3 for the food .... all of which averages out to a 4 or so. Generally I concur with that assessment. DW and I agreed we'd like to visit again. Not giving up easily on that lobster bisque.

We monorailed into DLP. While there, we shopped a bit. In DCA we rode a few rides before calling it a night. Silly Symphony Swings, Radiator Springs Racers, and Francis' Ladybug Boogie.
    Great Valentine's Day. If memory serves it was our first alone trip to DLR since before the kids began arriving over 10 years ago.

It's nice that you got to go alone. DH and I have had a few trips without kids and it's a very different experience.

Feb. 23

It wasn't lost on DD that everyone in the family had made a recent trip to DLR w/ me with one exception: herself.
    A 10-pack of rides was among the night's fun. Except for the final ride - Indiana Jones Adventure - I snapped a pic of each one.
    Some are more obvious than others. With a little deduction and luck maybe you can ID all 9. Hint* they're in order. And, yes, we did a fair share of criss-crossing the park.

In hindsight I think she was more interested in getting in the vicinity of these than she was in actually riding 9. A bag of 6 beignets from the Mint Julep Bar. She saved the last two for her older brother's breakfast.

1. Heimlich (Whistler's favorite)
    2. Screamin'
    3. Ariel's
    4. Francis'
    5.Tot
    6. GSS
    7.SSS
    8. BTMRR
    9.HM.
    What do I win?
    Cute pics, I agree with her, everyone else has been with you lately.

March 11

Quite an eventful day. I'll get to that. First, what we rode: Gadget's Go Coaster (youngest told his preschool teacher this was his highlight since he got to do it w/ mom & dad WITHOUT big bro and big sis), Autopia, Nemo Subs, Space Mountain, Frozen Sing-Along, Turtle Talk w/ Crush, Francis' Ladybug Boogie, Tower of Terror, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, Radiator Springs Racers, California Screamin', and Wednesdays with Walt.

It's not often we get to do something new to us at Disneyland, and today we experienced two new things: the Frozen sing-along and Wednesdays with Walt. On our way into the Muppet Theater for the sing-along, some Debbie Downer was on his way out telling everyone "It totally sucks. All they do is play the movie and you're supposed to sing to it." OK, buddy. I counted 5 or 6 actors up there, some acting, some dialogue. Aladdin at the Hyperion -and- Broadway caliber it isn't, I'll grant you. But it's certainly not suckworthy, and the kids seem to love it which is what matters. My ten year old who's normally too cool for school was singing his tail off.

I managed to visit Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical -AND- Market House at times in the day when the waits in line were just a couple minutes. Picked up one of each of these little beauties for DW's upcoming birthday:

Meal time was an adventure as always. Once before, we visited four restaurants. Today we one-upped that and made it five separate eateries. Youngest: Coke Corner; DD: Stage Door Cafe; oldest: Pizza Port; myself: Harbour Galley; finally, DW got hers at Jolly Holiday and we all met up there to eat. It's cray, but at least no one has to settle for something that's not their first choice.

Wednesdays with Walt was a first for us that I wrote about here.

There is an album of the day's pictures here. Most of the trip our phones were dead or nearly dead, so that fact limited the pictures. Not only is the battery life on them a joke, but the picture quality is pretty pathetic by modern standards. Practically everything about our phone situation is absurd. The amount we pay monthly is unbelievably high, all for the sake of hanging on to unlimited data we signed up for back when we bought and activated these iPhone 4's (yes, they're 4's). All that to say we're primed to buy iPhone 6's very soon. We have the will and the resources; problem is I'm a little gun-shy worried about data limits (we've never had any) and which storage capacity to get and a few of the minute details that may make a difference over the life of a contract. One thing I'm pretty set on is sticking w/ Verizon.
    If you have any tips where/how to buy new iPhones /plans let me know. We need to get on with it. Thanks.

We have Sprint, which we've talked about before, but they really want to push their new plan if you go to the Sprint store. What we learned was Costco could give us the deal on the phone without changing our plan. Plus, the insurance Costco offers is better and cheaper than the monthly one through Sprint. HTH. Whistler's is through work, which made him wait a couple of days from when he first checked, and the phone he wanted dropped in those 2 days from $50 with a 2 year contract to $0 with a 2 year contract.
    Oh and Costco works with all the major carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    What we learned was Costco could give us the deal on the phone without changing our plan. Plus, the insurance Costco offers is better and cheaper than the monthly one through Sprint..
    Thanks. Costco is a great idea. Hadn't thought of that. Honestly we're not all that interested in keeping our plan. It's way too pricey. From what we've been told by some Verizon reps we're paying through the nose for unlimited data all while only using 3 to 4 gigs per month. For considerably less $, we can apparently get in on a 8, 10, or 12 gig plan.
    Not coincincidentally, there are many reports of users data usage increasing when they switched from unlimited data to limited. Imagine that. So I think we'll go 12 just to be safe.

I would track your data usage and see about getting the 3 or 4 gig plan. If you are close to going over you will get a text and you can always add on an additional gig. We only went over one time with 4 users on on a 3G plan. Recently they upgraded me to double the data for the same price, so I would definitely recommend starting lower.

Again Sprint, but I can look online and see what each of us is using each month. Boy child uses the most, as he streams Pandora at work all day.