Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Is Memory Maker Worth It?

Is Memory Maker Worth It?

I ave seen a few people here ask this question. As it expands more and more, is this worth it?
    What's the deal with the videos?

If I understand correctly you just get the rights to the digital rights, yes? So in other words, if I bought from DIsney I would still have to pay the photo pass price, yes? And then of course the price of either walgreens or shutter fly, etc.

We were at DLR in October and I always handed our SLR to the photo pass assistant and they took photos while the PP person was taking pics as well. In a lot of cases, the ones with our camera came out better, we only bought one photo from PP but printed a whole bunch from our camera ourselves at Walgreens.

I personally think the new "animated" photos are goofy. I don't need Sven licking my camera screen. I want to see my family!

Anyone else with thoughts?

Also, this is for Marathon weekend. Those photos are handled by an outside group, yes? Not by photo pass, right?

Cool Runnings
    Doc

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson

2. # ADS

The only thing I can answer is that marathon photos are not handled by photopass.

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

The enhanced photos are so popular now. I think they're ok if used sparingly, but I don't need 100 photos of Stitch coming through the pavement.

I still like the photopass/memory maker, but it is an expensive line item in the budget. I use the photos in a digital scrapbook that it printed (Blurb.com) and I have them printed. Yes, you will still have to pay to have them printed, but a 5 x 7 from Disney is, what, $15? At WalMart it is $.99.

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The question "Is it worth it?" is going to be a personal thing.
    The question you have to ask yourself is - would you think that you would get at least 10 pictures taken in the parks that you would want to keep and/or print out for your own use.

Recently Mrs. GusMan had a friend that went to WDW and regretted getting the package because she really wanted the different pictures, especially some of the ride photos, which are now included.

However, some people dont want to take the time for those sort of pictures.

For my family, we have fun with it. We tell the photog's that we pre-ordered and many of them go crazy. There have been times where we would get our own little impromptu mini photo shoot. I think we ended up with like 350 pictures last time. By the time we were done editing, it was nearly 600. Now, will we use ALL of them? No. However, many of them will end up in our Blurb book.

Most of our blurb books consist of over 1300 pictures over 300+ pages in a hardback book. Thats for one trip.
    We use some of the pictures for our Christmas card and my Holiday Blog as well.

Yea, the animated pictures are goofy... but we can just ignore what we dont like. Some of them can be quite fun.

As you can see... the question is not so much if it is worth it. It's more along the lines of is it worth it to you?

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by TinaMouse View Post
    The enhanced photos are so popular now. I think they're ok if used sparingly, but I don't need 100 photos of Stitch coming through the pavement.
    Last time we got it, they kept trying to do the Stitch one.. it got old.. but we got some cool others. They rotate through the 'magic shots' periodically, so you there may be new ones next time from your last trip.

As far as 'is it worth it', if you are a regular visitor, not every trip. I like it, especially now that it includes the ride photos, for special trips (i.e. first trips.. anniversaries.. birthdays.. etc..). It is nice that it is for the whole party, so if you are going with a group, you can split the cost.

I like the frames that they added last time we went. It made for some fun shots. I think it would be cool if they added a prop or 2 at many spots (not too many.. it bogs down the process)

I am intrigued by the animated shots and the ride videos, and am looking forward to our next trip which will include my daughters trip (as an airbreather) and my parents' first trip in 30+ yrs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yedliw View Post
    Last time we got it, they kept trying to do the Stitch one.. it got old..
    When we suspected if the photog was doing the Stitch shot, we would ask if he could do something else.
    Because, yea... that one gets old.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Expensive and complicated and quite time-consuming. Just enjoy your vacation and take a few pix with your cell.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTwoCents View Post
    Expensive and complicated and quite time-consuming. Just enjoy your vacation and take a few pix with your cell.
    Why complicated and time-consuming. You go to photo pass photographers, and get your photo taken whenever you want. If the line is too long, skip it!
    Cathy

You don't HAVE to spend time adding the extras to the pictures. It doesn't HAVE to be time consuming or complicated, but it is expensive.

Blog Entries

Agreed with Cathy and Tina...
    Its an option. I know for me, if it was not for MM, I would have have any pictures of ME in our blurb book.
    (Im usually the one taking all the other pictures.)

If I hit my goal weight with the Weight Watchers programme a month before we travel, this is going to be my reward. I have lost 52lbs so far.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

I lied. 42lb......

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Congrats! I gained the 42 you lost....LOL

Visiting WDW Since 1982
    Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc07 View Post
    I ave seen a few people here ask this question. As it expands more and more, is this worth it?
    What's the deal with the videos?

If I understand correctly you just get the rights to the digital rights, yes? So in other words, if I bought from DIsney I would still have to pay the photo pass price, yes? And then of course the price of either walgreens or shutter fly, etc.

Cool Runnings
    Doc
    Not sure if you got this original question answered, but no, you do not pay additional for Photopass. You pay one price and for that you get four "types" of pictures:
    - wherever you see a Disney roaming photographer you can have them snap pictures of you. They usually do three or 4.
    - the above sots with animated characters pased in.
    - action shots on the rides
    - Shots of some of the attractions, like a full picture of Space Mountain

I didn't care much for the animated characters, but they don't take away from anything else, so what the heck! It really is no bother or fuss - I don't understand why anyone would post that. If it weren't for the photographer my lady and I wouldn't have any pictures of "us" -- full shots, not selfies, which I detest!

As for as I know there is no place to buy pictures of us on the newest ride, the Seven Dwarfs' Mine train. Yet they were included in our pacake, and they were some of the best.

All of the pictures are of very high quality - sharp, the right brightness, no blurs.

So was it worth it? For us, absolutely yes! For you? I can't answer that. Would I do it again? Probably not - no need to. But I sure am happy with what we got.

By the way, this sort of question will stimulate all kinds of answers. And you see the same thing with all kinds of topics: should I get a bigger room, should I pay for a better room view, should I get the dining plan, should I pay extra to stay on site, should I use Disney transportation, etc, etc. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer, just what's right for you.
    -
    Stan