Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: The Wilmot November Report - LIVE.

The Wilmot November Report - LIVE.

Larry's "You're going to Disney Again!!..... We must pay you too much" - Live Trip Report.

Introduction.

All Star Music - November 8th to 16th.

Cast of Characters.

Larry Wilmot - Probation Officer, Award Winning Photographer, Writer.
    Robin Goble - Accountant, Writer, Always Right.
    Wes Hanna- Insurance Big Wig. Medieval Lord.
    Paula Hanna - Graphic Designer, Artist far too brilliant for words.

Thursday 6th November - Two days to Go.

Hey there Disney Folks,
    It's been about 10 years since I posted a live Trip Report. So I decided that it was time that I did so again, it's time to give a little British/Texas perspective on Walt Disney World, raw, live as it happens. Mind you it may be something to do with that I have really bad handwriting that even I can't read. So even if I take notes, I can't read them three weeks later when I sit down to write. That's probably why I have a reputation for making things up. Actually I have a reputation for making things up because I did rather in the past go off on flights of fantasy reporting on the Disney World more in my head than Florida. I rather regard it as poetic license so if I do a bit of "fancification" in this report please forgive me.

I recently read the whole of the last live trip report that I managed to write, it was in 2004, my first trip of that year, A red hot burning Premium Annual Pass in my hand. I read it to see if there are any of my old reliable jokes that I could steal and use again. This was on the grounds that If I had forgotten them, then so would you. However, I didnt find them all that funny except that I called the Rivers of Time ride in Mexico "It's a small burrito." Which is a pretty funny quip even if I say so myself. So that didnt help too much, I'll have to try to think of a few new jokes. I think Robin will tell you that that's impossible.

I'm figuring that a lot has changed, even the Rivers of Time has mutated into a new version a lot less "It's a small world" and a lot more "the three Mexican Ducks." Much amusement is to be had by all and it still provides an entertaining sit down in the dark and cool. This is something to be dearly treasured in the baking hot environment of Epcot.
    You may remember if you are an old hand at this Trip Report malarkey, that I always used to sign off, "Cheers Larry, your Pal from Scotland" Well now I have to be your Pal from Texas because I moved here in 2010 to live with my wonderful Texas gal and wife Robin. I'm no longer managing nursing homes, I'm a probation officer. Yes it shocked me too, given five years ago I didn't know the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony!

I also wanted to thank those of you who bought our books "the Disney Diaries." thank you so much for that, we have sold I guess around 2500 copies which is not too shabby. They are our old trip reports collated together and sold as e-books on Amazon for the Kindle. Anyway, to thank people I thought it would be nice to post a Larry Trip report the old fashioned way on the internet.

I also miss the Disney Forums as a way of posting my TRs. I've met so many lovely people through writing Trip Reports. You all know who you are. It's been a pleasure to spend time hanging around with quite a lot of the Disney Trip Report writing Glitterati. One person that Robin has known for 12 years or so and me for about 8 is Carolyn Brooke Millward and we really looking forward to meeting her and her husband this trip. Robin said that we magically arranged to be in the same parks several times, good old Fastpass+
    I've enjoyed the feedback you get from Amazon reviewers. Even if it's not always quite as positive as the Disney forums. I've had some stinker reviews on Amazon,

"This is the worst book I've read in my life and I'm 61."

"Only buy this book if you want to be bored"

"I much prefer Robin's chapters." (Mind you so do I.)

Some of them seem to say nasty things about my Grandma, or it may be my Grammar. Robin my co-author calls me the comma king as when she proof reads my work she deletes about ten commas per line.

My particular favorite review. "I haven't read this book yet, so I give it three stars, I may rate it higher when I've read it." They didn't.

So off we go to explore all that is Disney World in 2014. I'm going to miss American Idol, not that I've ever watched the show on TV but I did love the stage version. In my last non live trip report I explained that we had such great fun watching my Nephew singing on stage in the show in 2012.

No more Catastrophe Canyon, in 2012 I missed it because I stared as a Deck Hand in the pre-show and I got so wet I had to go dry off and so never got as far as a tram!
    And a much bigger loss, no more Maelstrom. I loved the ride particularly the drop to the oil rig and the Polar Bear with the almost permanent slit throat.
    But we have FROZEN to look forward to................. Oh that Tune is in my head so bad, I wish I could Let it Go, Let it Go!! See I told you I could write new jokes. I didn't say they would be funny jokes did I?

This year has been a pretty good Disney Year although it's two years since were in Walt Disney World, we've been to Tokyo Disneyland Resort, wow is that place cool or what? We loved Tokyo Disneysea. It's amazing so much has been spent on making the atmosphere perfect. It's wonderful, beautiful, thrilling and enchanting all at the same time. If you get an opportunity to go there then do so. Also, make some time to see Tokyo it's a cool town. We have decided, God willing, to go and see the Tokyo Olympics in 2020. That will be my retirement present to ourselves. Both Robin and I love the Olympics, Disney and Tokyo so it will be a incredible trip for us.

We also got some special Disney Magic by visiting The Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. That was a great weekend too. We went specifically to see the Mary Blair Exhibition, she was a brilliant artist and Imaginer and it was terrific seeing the development of her work, I can't wait to go and find examples in the parks.
    Well that's about it for an introduction. I hope you enjoy the report. I know I shall enjoy reading it, well I will in about 10 years time. I'm going to have such a busy day tomorrow, tons of work things to do I might not have time to post this introduction, so I'm posting it today. So look out for a posting of day one late Saturday night or more likely Sunday morning, I don't think we get to the All Stars until about midnight. Robin has told me a few times, but I rather forget things of any actual use but I am amazing at remembering totally useless things. Hopefully she see's it as the charm of being married to me. Errr maybe not!!

Cheers your pal from Texas, Scotland, Yorkshire........ just about everywhere!
    Check out my Disney Blog - Photographing Disney, Mainly Photos but some of the old Larry Humour/Humor - http://www.photographingdisney.blogspot.com

2. # ADS

Friday 7th November - The day before.

Well, I've nipped home from work for a long lunch so I can do some packing for the trip tomorrow. So I've got my zillion camera batteries on charge, and my ipod, and my PC laptop. Not taking my tablet as things are starting to get heavy. I'm hoping to take a lot of photos for the Photographing Disney Blog. Plus I want to add photos to the Trip Report I've never done this before. But with wifi in the hotels and parks it should be a lot easier than last time I did a live report. So just to practice here is one showing you just how I feel right now.

Cheers Larry. Your Pal from Texas.

Tigger (1 of 1).jpg

Check out my Disney Blog - Photographing Disney, Mainly Photos but some of the old Larry Humour/Humor - http://www.photographingdisney.blogspot.com

Hi Larry and Robin!
    Looking forward to your trip and photos. Don't forget to take pictures ofthe food!

TulaBelle
    Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever.

Saturday 8th November.

About a week ago, I asked Robin what time our flight left Lubbock. She said errrr about 4.30, so I said, oh that's good I can go into work for a bit then and she said "Sure". Well that was a crazy decision if I ever made one. So this morning when I should have been sat watching Frozen or something to get me in the mood. I went to do some probation field visits. I also wrote two court reports and a monthly statistics report. About as un Disney as you can get. I guess it was ok but it's not the best preparation for visiting the happiest or most magical place on earth. (I always get the two mixed up.)
    Having said that Paula said that her and Wes, watched TV, had naps and emptied litter boxes and their day was a non day, so finding out that made me feel much better.

So at three ish we set off for Lubbock International Airport. I think a small plane once flew to Canada so that makes it international. We have a rather interesting route, get your maps out. Lubbock to Dallas, to St Louis to Orlando. Two steps forward and one step back. Which is why we won't be in Disney World until almost midnight. (Actually we didn't go to St Louis!)
    On the way to the airport we were talking about me posting a live report. In 2012 I tried but the wifi was flakey at the All Stars, so I'm hoping it's going to be a bit better. I actually gave up after a couple of days and did it the old fashioned way.

Paula suggested that I do it really live, like write things up on Space Mountain and post when we get off. I pointed out that I'm taking my laptop to write it up. It's a heavy laptop.

"Here I am getting off Space Mountain, my face as purple and blue as the entry corridor as my laptop pounded my face as we made the first drop." Perhaps not.

Last night when packing I was not sure which Magic Bands to bring. So I have one trip to Disney World and I have three bands. One came the first time we were supposed to go. This was postponed as my dear Robin was what we would call in my native Yorkshire "Proper Poorly" But I had gotten my first band. Then we booked this trip in November which was the same trip, same booking number and everything. However, we had to add an extra day because of the flights. (Shame!!) So Robin booked a new day at the same hotel. Which is supposedly linked. We could, however, pick a new Magic Band. I picked the name El Poco and Robin picked Mimi, which is all to do with our new granddaughter in Scotland, but I'm way too lazy for me to want to spend too long typing it all out for you. Except to say She's beautiful and wonderful too, we spent a week with her two weeks ago in Bonny Scotland oh yes and with my son and his wonderful wife.

So that's two magic bands - Larry and El Poco. However, I was fiddling with mydisneyexperience.com and it gave me but not Robin an opportunity to pick new magic bands for the rest of the trip. That would be the old rest of the trip which I have a band for. So I picked a new one - Back to Larry again. So the upshot is I have three magic bands and Robin has two. I have no idea which one should I use, I guess that's what reception is for. I've decided take them all just to be on the safe side.

I have the attitude that "Planning is for Wimps". I would famously not plan much on my visits but would use the general rule of staying on site, getting in to the parks early using Extra Magic Hour, use Fastpass and get out when the parks when they got hot, crowded and definitely when both. Go back in the cool of the evening for some fun. That's all I needed, worked like a treat for me.

Well that's a pretty useless system now given the need to book Fastpasses well in advance. So I gave the entire trip planning job to my wife Robin, and Wes and Paula pretty much handed her the keys to that concept too. She is brilliant and has got us Fastpass+'s, dining reservations you name it, she has sorted the trip out perfect, so much so that I need three magic bands to hold it all. One would just burst at the seams all on it's own.

Talking of Magic Bands, I find mine a little uncomfortable. It's kind of like wearing a strange watch, which begs me to make a couple of comments. Number one is- I don't want to wear two watches so I've decided to take off my normal watch. Secondly I now can't actually tell the time anymore due to the lack of watch on my left wrist where the cuckoo Magic Band is residing. So why don't Disney put a little LED watch in the magic band, it would cost them like five bucks and be really practical. Just a little thought for them to think about.

Well as we sit at 32,000 feet we are blasting towards our hotel for this trip which is going to be the All Star Music, it's probably not my favorite, but it has come to the rescue, we were originally booked in the All Star Sports. As we had to cancel our trip at very short notice due to our problems a few weeks ago, they kindly let us re-book without penalty if we moved to the All Star Music. I guess because they are re-furbishing the food court it's not the most popular resort at this time. We were so glad that we didn't lose our stay so happily bit off Disney's arm at the prospect of going at all. I would have slept on the hammocks on the beach around the 7 seas lagoon, if it got me here. So I'm not going to grumble once about being there. (Well I might if they put me in Country Fayre!!)

Well it turns out that we are in Rock Inn, not too bad for a non preferred room.

That's all for today as it's almost 2am. We were delayed at Dallas Love Field due to an emergency that one of the flight attendants had and had to return to the airport after we had started to taxi. We are here now and I for one am very excited about the next seven full days. Catch you all tomorrow.

Cheers Pal Larry.

Monday 9th November.

Good morning dear readers.

I hope you are having a lovely day. Well after a night of blissful rest which lasted about five hours, we are ready to hit the parks with a vengeance. So I've checked my Disney app and we are due to go and visit Disney's Hollywood Studios. Now I think I said that I would never call it that because I always think of it as MGM Studio's but hey I can bend, I can be flexible and I can move with the times. It's DHS for me from now on....... See I'm not a stick in the mud. The next big test will be can I call Countdown to Extinction - Dinosaur? Probably not.

The first job, however, was for me to go and re-check in, we have two reservations, one for just one night. That went well and the Magic Band is modus operandi. There was a wee line and it wouldn't be Disney if there wasn't four people at the station with just one person actually doing the checking in. Obviously the other three were doing vital humanitarian work that I just didn't know about.
    Then I went to pick up the re-fillable mugs. Hey I have a re-fillable mug. I now know I really am at Disney!!

One of my big dilemmas for this trip is. Do I take my cameras with me to the parks every day? I don't know if you know but about three months ago I started a Blog on Blogger called Photographing Disney. I've always fancied myself as a photographer. I got my first SLR in 1982, I used to take artistic photos of spanners in a line, hay bales and glasses on glass coffee tables with ice in them. Frankly I was pretty rubbish.

However about four years ago I got a bit more serious thanks to blipfoto.com where I started posting photos every day, I did this for over a year and it was a great learning experience. For the past few years I've entered a few photographic competitions and had some luck at getting photos exhibited at the Buddy Holly Center and the Texas Tech University International Studies Center. I even won a blue ribbon for first prize in the "Cute" section of the South Plains Fair. (Hence my little comment about being an award winning photographer. The award being $13 LOL.)

However, things step up a little in June because I am having 25 photos exhibited in the Buddy Holly Center, with an whole gallery to myself of images from the Japan Trip in May of this year. So as you can imagine I'm pretty excited about this. June 5th to July 5th 2015. In the unlikely event you are in Lubbock pop in to the Gallery, let me know and I'll give you a guided tour!!

Anyway I thought I would take lots of photos this trip for the Photographing Disney blog. My son Greg has lent me a really cool wide angled lens for a couple of months. He actually gave me my first serious digital SLR a few years ago and I am really grateful to him for helping me out like this. The bad news is that serious camera equipment is pretty heavy. So I need to find a bit of a mixture of having fun in the parks and photographing them. Not to mention finding time for writing my live trip report. So if I put too many commas in and my syntax is terrible just put it down to tiredness.

Hands up anyone who's spent a week at Walt Disney World and didn't get exhausted. Nope can't see any hands.

OK enough of my personal ego trips lets get down to the fun we had today.

Paula and Wes are staying at the All Star Sports and we are at the All Star Movies, so we decided to go to meet them at Disney's Hollywood Studios. We arrived about five minutes apart. I took a few snaps for the blog and then we all headed over to Pixar Courtyard for our first Fastpass+ of the trip.

So the big question is why oh why am I so rubbish at Toy Story Mania? Robin beat me by thousands, she was just about twice the score of me. I think that I've come last every time. The only time I won was when I did it in Japan and Robin didn't do it. I try to go for the high score targets and then I miss. No strategy and no ability. It's a pretty fun ride though. I had more glory when Who Wants to be a Millionaire was in the building, I ruled that little game.

Paula and Wes went off to see One Man's Dream. We skipped that as it's pretty similar to the Walt Disney World Family Museum that we recently did. Robin and I went to Starring Rolls where we had some breakfast.

The next Fastpass was for Tower of Terror. I tried the single rider line at Rock and Roller Coaster but there were about 50 in line by the door so I decided to back track and meet with the others for Tower of Terror. I think we enjoyed watching the Twilight Zone TV pre-show, well we all seemed to chant the words along with it anyway. Obviously using our own version. The Hollywood Tower Hotel, 1939- a beating for the rich and famous.

I have for some reason brought my Aussi Hat with me, so I'm rather looking like Harrison Ford, so I started to play with it in the shaft making it levitate and rise and fall. I used to do that with Re-Fillable mugs but frankly it was a bit dangerous and I wouldn't want to brain damage Paula or Robin with one leaving blood and brains on the elevator floor.
    After our appointment with fear, we went over to Star Tours where we met both Darth Vader and Yoda, it was a name dropping kind of ride today.
    Then it was a visit to the Muppets 3D Extravaganza which is always fun in a "The machine has gone fluemmy fluemmy" kind of way.

As we only had five hours sleep we decided to that the intellectual rigors of the Muppets was enough for us and we went for a 30 minute sit down on the ride to Epcot on Friendship 3. It's quicker to walk between DHS and Epcot but it's a lot easier sat on the boat.

Ok now we go over to our Reporter at the Food and Wine Festival, Mrs. Robin Goble Wilmot............

Hello, everybody. Robin here. I told Larry I was at a bit of a loss because it feels like I don't have anything to do. I usually write a trip report after we get back from any Disney trip, so I take lots of notes while we're there, but, this trip, since Larry's is doing a live report, I don't really have to take notes and so I don't know what to do with myself when we get back to the resort in the evenings. Larry graciously asked if I would write a word or two about the Food and Wine Festival (F&WF), mostly to make me feel useful, I suspect.

Actually, the REAL reason I'm writing about the F&WF is that it's just so not Larry. He's a really good sport about it and he goes along with it to please me but paying upwards of $5 for little plates of food is just not something he particularly enjoys doing.

We had originally planned to use our Disney Dining Plan snack credits for our F&WF purchases, but some of the items are fairly low dollar and, according to the thrifty Yorkshire man, "not a good use of our snack credits." So, we decided we'd use snack credits for the items that we wanted to try that were over $5, and pay cash for anything that cost less.
    Our first stop was France for some Sea Salt Caramel Crme Brulee and their Mushroom and Gruyere Gratin (basically, mushroom macaroni and cheese). Both were very good, but I have to give the upper hand to the crme brulee because, hey, crme brulee.

Paula and Wes also got the Escargot Tart (under much protest from Wes who had gallantly agreed to try everything that Paula wanted but forgot that there might actually be snails involved). It was actually very good and Wes manned up and sampled it and agreed that it really didn't taste of snail at all.

Up next were the booths of Brazil and Belgium. We decided to divide and conquer here with Paula and Wes going to Brazil to get the Fried Pork Belly and a piece of the Coconut Candy for me, while Larry and I went to Belgium and got one of each of their waffles (Potato and Leek for Larry, Berry Compote for Paula, and Chocolate for me). We met up in Brazil's excellent dining spot and all sampled each other's items. Everything was quite good although Larry swears the potato and leek waffle was false advertising because it seemed to mostly consist of beef and carrots. Also, it did not photograph well and looked unfortunately like something that our cat might have hornked up on the carpet.

We were all grumbling about starting to get full already so we decided to skip Morocco and Japan and head for the Lobster Alfredo Macaroni and Cheese and warm Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese icing from Hops & Barley in America. Our resolve held through Morocco, but we waivered at Japan with Larry saying he'd like to try the Churashizushi (salmon, shrimp, crab and egg over seaweed salad and ginger rice). He had no sooner gotten in line than I decided that the Gyoza Bun looked good, so I joined him. Then Wes decided that the Spicy Hand Roll was calling his name, so we basically bought 75% of the country's offerings. Nothing like sticking to your convictions.

We did eventually make it to Hops and Barley where Larry declared the Lobster Alfredo Mac and Cheese his favorite offering so far and I licked the warm cream cheese icing off the Carrot Cake plate.

Back to the Studio......

Thanks Robin,

After all that eating of food, I decided that I needed a little walk. Robin headed towards Britain and our meeting with Carolyn and Charlie Brooke Millward. So I went to the Test Track Single Rider line. Wow doesn’t the building look more posh inside now. It's rather like watching an episode of Fringe, the ride seems the same as before, yet it's all different. Like there is an Epcot in a parallel universe. Sorry about the spoiler but I'm glad they kept the truck avoidance swerve in. Though putting blue neon on the old truck doesn't really Tron it up that much. Had great fun on the outside loop as normal. That car does pull a few G's which is cool.

I walked over to the UK. Shocked myself by not eating any Fish and Chips. There we met the Brook Milward clan. We had a great time, we've known them for many years and haven't ever met but it was like we had known each other for ever. They are a sweet couple. Robin kind of blurted out, what I had said this morning. "Well if we don't like them, we can leave and never see them again." Thanks Robin for telling them that. Actually we left making arrangements to see them tomorrow. Varolyn once sent me a consignment of Brown Sauce, so deep down I knew she was a good un.
    Wes who doesn't know that "sleep is for wimps" slept most of the hour, including through British Revolution on the concrete floor in his shorts in basically what had recently been a puddle. He really can sleep anywhere.

Talking of rain, we explained to our new/old friends that I have a jacket with me, which is not waterproof at all, yet when I wear it I just sweat and the water won't wick away. I thought I should buy a new one as this is more Gore Blimey than Gore Tex. Robins solution, wear it inside out!!

Well after that we were cream crackered so we left the park, via Mouse Gear where we bought an antenna topper for a dear old chap at church. We got the bus to All Star Sports and had our evening meal there. We all got something different. I got the Turkey Dinner. Then Robin and I walked from the ASSports dining room to the ASMusic, Rock Inn, which wasn't too bad a walk and crashed out here to write trip reports etc.

So that's all for this evening folks. I'm planning on at least 8 hours tonight. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Cheers Your Pal Larry from some Mid Atlantic Point I haven't worked out yet.

Larry Indy Hat.jpg

Monday 10th of November.

Today's plan is to go to the Magic Kingdom and to check out the new parts of Fantasyland that we haven't visited yet. So we being the rather keen types that we are decided to skip breakfast today. We arranged to meet Wes and Paula in the park a little later on. We rushed down to the bus stop and got one kind of quicker than we should as two arrived at the same time and we did a swervey chicane maneuver and got on the second bus without queuing. In our defense the driver encouraged us to do so.

Once we got the Magic Kingdom bus stop it only took a couple of minutes to get through security and the gate. It was nice but rather early in the year to see the park dressed up for Christmas. Though the tree was not yet up. Today is a Very Merry Christmas Party, so we knew that we wouldn't have a full day there. That's why you buy the park hoppers I guess. The Christmas stuff in the parks wasn't overpowering at all though, which I had feared in advance.

I took a few photos on the way to Belle's Enchanted Tales. I asked a couple of cast members if I could photograph them working, one was cutting out silhouettes and the other dipping apples in chocolate. I took snaps throughout the day. I think about 250 in all. I just took one camera and lens because carrying the big photo bag of doom yesterday was way way too heavy and hard work.

Even though the park had opened there was a massive queue at the Mine Train, we were glad we had fastpasses for later in the day. We went to Belle. Now those of you who know me know that I love to be in the show. I've been in Doug, on stage at the Adventurer's Club and the Comedy Wearhouse, I've had 6000 gallons of water thrown at me on the deck of a PT Boat. I've done just about everything on stage, you can do at WDW. However, today I wasn't trying to get picked. It's a kids show, I wanted to take some photographs. You guessed it, they picked me to be a soldier guarding Belle. I had to march up and down a bit, shout out Eeeeeaaak but best of all, I got to link arms with her and have a photo taken. I'm dreading having to tell Ariel about it.

After Belle we decided to get a Sherman Brother's tune stuck right in our heads and did It's a Small World. I actually got a bit of a buzz about it. Sometimes some people have read my trip reports and said that I'm a bit negative. OK I may joke a little about Disneyworld, but I love the place and what can be more Disney than IASW??? Loved singing along, taking some photos and waiting for seven hours to unload from the boat sitting by the Adios, Toodle Pip, arrivederci signs.

We met up with Wes and Paula and went of to use a Space Mountain fastpass. Again loved everything about this ride. I like walking down the long tunnel. Although I was in the fastpass lane I liked that they have games to entertain the regular line folks. Paula talked me out of the front seat. But even from the third seat it was a thrilling and fun ride. Apart from the two re-fillable mugs on my belt sticking in my hip and loosening the joints in there.

Then the best moment of the day. Snogging with Robin in the dark parts of the TTA, nuff said.

We went off for lunch at the Be our Guest Restaurant, wow this is a counter service during the day and a sit down at night, getting reservations is pretty tricky too. Robin and Paula had worked hard on these and ours got messed up due to the change of dates. However it all worked out OK in the end.

The restaurant is in the Ballroom of the Beast's Castle. They use two anti rooms too. We sat in the Ballroom. The food is brought to you on trollies by the staff. How they find you is pretty impressive, Wes speculated that it's an RDF Scanner linked to Electron Pulse Rapid Neuron Advancement Equipment. I personally think it's indoor GPS systems. When I asked our server how they do it, she said "Magic."
    I had the braised pork, which was a bit fatty for my tastes. This was compensated on by the yummy mash and veggies. The others seemed to have various sandwiches and French fries. As always I ate most of Robin's fries. For pudding I had a Orange clair which was lovely. Robin had the Grey Stuff, it's delicious if you don't believe me ask the dishes. It's probably the most amazing restaurant that I've ever been in, I mean when you look out of the window, it's snowing! They have spent trillions on theming this little snackery and it's wonderful. It's pretty obvious why you have to sell your Granny to get a reservation.

Woops time now for a trip on the Little Mermaid Omni Mover ride. I'm sorry about the Belle thing, Ariel. She didn't seem to mind, actually she was fairly occupied with some kind of Prince or other. It's a fun little ride, I liked the effects of going "under the sea." And who doesn't enjoy the tunes from the show?

We had fastpasses for Big Thunder Mountain. Now it's a long long walk from Fantasyland to Fronteirland, well it is if you are getting on in years like I am. So I being the most brilliant and modest mind in the group thought that letting the train take the strain was a great idea. So we popped past the many Dumbo rides to the station and Chooo Choo'd it to Big Thunder. This took quite a time because we stopped for 30 minutes to let the parade pass, but it was at Main Street Station, so we could look out, saw Mary Poppin's back and generally chilled out for a bit. Robin stayed on the train, her Dad loved trains so it must be in the blood or something. The other three of us rode Big Thunder and walked back to meet Robin outside Gaston's.

Then we rode the Mine Train. That's the new Big Ticket ride in the MK. Actually I think it's fair to say that we were a little underwhelmed. It's really smooth and lacks a little anxiety as you move around. It's got great theming. Loved the Jewel Section. However, it's really short, no I mean it really short. It probably doesn't help that we had just rode the similar Big Thunder. The line earlier in the day had been 100 minutes, I would have felt very short changed if I had waited that long. OK you all hate me now, I'm sorry.

Paula and Wes fancied Haunted Mansion, I wanted to do some photography and to see the Hall of the Presidents, which seems to have a new show to me. Robin wanted to, as she calls it, "take care of my social network needs!" So that's what we all did.

It was time then to move on to Epcot. We rather enjoyed the double monorail trip over there. We did Spaceship Earth, and finished off part of the Scoffing Around the World Festival. It's four in the morning so my reporter from the FAWF is actually asleep, wimp so you don't get a detailed itemization of what we ate except to say I rather cheated and had Fish and Chips. (Woops fall back to type there I'm afraid.)
    Well thanks for reading this far.

Cheers Larry, your guy in Orlando.

Be our Guest (1 of 1).jpgTrain Station (1 of 1).jpg[attach=confcastle (1 of 1)-2.jpgig]8322[/attach]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuesday 11th November 2014.

First of all Happy Remembrance Day. I was thinking how wonderful the moat at the Tower of London must look with all those poppies. I like to think of my Grandfather, gassed and shot at Ypres lying in no mans land. Grateful that he lived or I wouldn't exist at all.

So this morning we set off for breakfast at the All Star Sports. We were not taking our own advice and we were running about an hour or so late. The place was mobbed. We had to share a table with an older group. One of the guys was so annoying, speaking like one of the Soprano's Gang, he chastised his comrade for not using up his dining plan for breakfast and for having the audacity to buy his own food. I think the word "Schmuck" may have been used. Then he ranted on for about 20 minutes for being charged a dollar for having a piece of bacon that was not covered by his own dining plan. At least he had used it unlike his friend. He had the most strong New York accent I have ever heard. The funny thing was he had previously told me, when we were at the table alone that he was from Dorset in England and he came to America when he was 28.

We checked mydisneyexperience and apparently we had appointments in Animal Kingdom this morning so we felt it best to head there. The All Star Sports may be pretty close to the AK but it took us an hour to get there. I've decided that they don't load wheelchairs in an efficient way. The driver took four on board two scooters and two folding. There was an Animal Kingdom bus behind for 10 minutes that was sat doing nothing. It strikes me that there should either be a helper for the driver when it's busy and lots of wheelchairs will be traveling to the parks and or, they should limit the loading to say two when there is a bus stuck behind. That would keep the busses moving faster but still provide a good wheelchair service. They should hire me as their ideas man.

Our first port of call in Asia was to the region around Everest, where we undertook a lengthy but very rewarding expedition. Base camp was around 12,000ft with the low levels of oxygen and us all being not of the best health at our age we decided to take the train into the area around the Mountain. Unfortunately there was some disruption and we heard a roar both primeval and intense. What seemed to be a rather large ape, ripped up some of the track, the train had to reverse and return to the station. I would affirm in court that I saw the beast briefly. No longer will I mock the locals tales of what they call the "Yeti."

Following our daring do, we went for a little rest at the Flights of Wonder show. It seems to be something we do every time and always enjoy. The birds are so amazing that you don't mind the hokum story of Guano Joe. Afterwards I went up to him and said "Kungaloosh" as he was a former member of the Adventurers Club, he gave me the traditional salute and we went our separate ways. It was nice and it gave me a little buzz that the A.C still lives on in the people who enjoyed it so much.

This morning seems to be one rather wonderful adventure so we decided to travel further and took the train to Conservation Station. Robin who seems to have a thing about trains skipped the long walk to the center and went right back to Harambe. Wes, Paula and I went into the station. I was a little bit disappointed with it as there is not much there any longer. The petting station is closed, the Grandma Willow Booths have gone and the outside murals are really shabby.

I decided to return and I found Robin on a bench, I was commenting on the decline and a cast member came up and said in an excited and proclaiming way, "How long are you staying at Walt Disney World." We thought she was going to invite us to a special event, maybe Morgan Freeman was visiting, or we were going to be Grand Marshalls of the Parade. Then she said "the petting area is due to open on the 13th." It was a bit of a let down to find out all it was, was that we can stroke a goat on Thursday.

It really is an adventurous morning befitting a fully fledged Member of the Adventurer's Club because the next stop on our itinerary was a trip across the African bush. I actually like Kilimanjaro Safari a lot more now they have gotten rid of the Big Red story. The guides have much more time to tell you about the animals and it feels more relaxed and enjoyable. It may be less Disney than before but is that necessarily a bad thing? I don't think so, sometimes you can benefit from being a little less sugar coated.

There also seems to be way more animals there than there used to be. We certainly came across them in abundance. Robin helped me take photos on her side. There was a lovely giraffe about three feet from the side of the truck. She took the camera - snap, snap, snap. Three lovely photos of grass. I'm not saying she has a bad aim or anything!

I did the half of the forest trail that is open, must have closed the rest due to the high African winds this year. I bumped in to many exotic creatures including the Millward family who we arranged to have a civilized afternoon tea with tomorrow. Spiffing.

Time for some dramatic arts. Oh gosh what a lovely job they have done in theming the outside of the new Harambe Theatre. I loved the new section in Africa. Took lots of snaps. I also liked the little Simba sign taken from the Broadway version of the Lion King they have hung outside the theatre. The show was exactly the same, no exactly. I wondered if they would up date it, but nope. Still if it's not broke etc.

We had lunch at Yak and Yeti in the dining room part. I had beef and broccoli stir fry and it was very good. Ate it with chop sticks, I've been showing off my new found chopstick skills I developed from two weeks in Japan. One day there I spent 20 minutes practicing picking peas out of a rice bowl. Woops I dropped a bit of Dim Sum on the floor, it was the shrimp thingy so I used the 5 seconds rule and ate it anyway.

One small bad comment about Animal Kingdom, there are lots of areas boarded up at the moment due to the building of the new show around the river and Avatarland. It did spoil photography and was slightly obtrusive.

We went for a nap for a wee while back to the room.

We spent the evening at Epcot, our third in a row. Gosh there was a LOT less people there now that the Food and Wine Festival has finished. We got to Mexico and camped out there for an hour before the show eating Mexican food. They had run out of Churros, so I got the job of picking up French Pasties. It's rather a long way from Mexico to France. However, in the 30 minutes before the show they play a rather jaunty number, which I used to march at a rapid pace there and back.

The show was as wonderful as ever and I got some pretty nice photos I think.

Well time to go and develop them in my field laboratory, until tomorrow, comrades.

Toodle Pip. Larry. Your friend from the Adventurers Club.

Enjoying reading along in live time and your FB pictures are lovely too

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Wednesday 12th November.

Hi folks,

I'm sorry I'm a wee bit late posting this exciting installment in the Wilmot Disney Trip Report Live. Make that Almost Live. A late night at the Osborne Lights wiped me out. You know you are getting old when a late night means leaving the park at nine pm and you have to rush off to bed.

The day started with a trip to Disney's Hollywood Studios. Got the bus there with no problems. At park opening, Robin went off to get us some breakfast at Fairfax Fair. Am I right in thinking this was Fairfax Fries in the McDonalds era? I went through the regular line and asked to take the front row, which being a Larry No Mates on the ride got on my own. The single rider line hadn't kicked in to life yet. There was a delay at the starting point. Then a cast member came and told me I couldn't film the ride, they could see me with my camera all ready for action. This may not be the first time I get told off today, camera wise. I really shouldn't have bought a bright white camera. The thing is on Amazon it was a full $100 cheaper than the black one but for incognito shooting it's rubbish.

We ate our breakfast which was quite yummy though the omelet was a bit watery. Paula rang and she was at Toy Story so we moseyed over there. Wes was a little delayed as he was having a lie in not feeling too great. We had to wait 10 minutes to get on the ride in the fastpass line. I did the best I've done so far zapping those balloons and hooping those aliens. Well I think I was doing really well, I don't actually know. That's because the ride broke down and we had to be evacuated. YES, I've always wanted to do that and It's taken 15 years. Robin was lucky and had it happen on the Tower of Terror in the past, but I was a ride breakdown virgin.

They came and had to lift a panel to get to the door release button, then they unloaded a set of steps. The ride cars sit on a dolly which is the shape of a playstation controller. You alight on to the ride floor. Looking up you can see all the gubbins that is hidden from view by overhead canopies over the shooting areas. The floor goes for another 12 feet. The projectors that show send the image to the walls are tiny. It was really interesting. There is also tons of Toy Story art on the walls that you just whizz by. I love the attention to detail at Disney and it's great to get to see it close up. I managed to get told off for taking photos err 3 times. Mind you it wasn't totally my fault because one of the other cast members told me it was ok if I turned the flash off. Her colleague was pretty snotty about it. Anyway I don't want to get banned from the parks like "Adam the Woo", so I'm not posting any of them, they can go in my secret personal Disney vault.

The nine year old in me kicked in and I wanted to go to the Frozen Sing a Long but there was standing room only and I didn't want to see it that much. Though the others may have teased me a little just because I wanted to go. They just don't see great art when it crosses their paths.

Next was Star Tours - About 10 people behind us were the Milwards, I took a photo of the crowd in the queue and I didn't know they were there. In the subsequent perusal of the snap you can see clearly that Charlie is trying to strangle Carolyn. Not only do they stalk us all over the parks but I think that they are a bit dodgy especially that Charlie character. We let people through and got together with our friends. We went past a Speeder Robin and Carolyn picked up the 3D glasses, when they got to the next Speeder Robin put hers back and swapped out for a different pair, (because she had seen them swapped back after sanitization.) Carolyn asked why she had swapped them. I said because they only worked with the Star Tours Speeder that they are picked up from. She said "really?" and swapped hers too.
    After the ride we chatted for ages and Wes came and joined us feeling a bit better.

Lunch at Pizza Planet, gosh it was mobbed in there. Robin snagged a table while the three of us queued up, in the wrong place accidentally it appeared that we had gone in the exit to the line and pushed in. My fifth telling off of the morning, that's a record even for me. We then had to uncerimoniously go to the back of the line which was actually outside of the building.

We had been given old fashioned fastpasses when we were ejected from Toy Story this morning and we tried again. It was still down so we did Voyage of the Little Mermaid. I actually like this, it's looking a bit dated, the puppets are great but the Laser technology looks a bit 90s. Though I'm sure they keep finding new colored lasers every time I do it.

We finally go to do Toy Story in it's completion and I scored 127,000 which was 40,000 better than the other day but still the worst of the four. One day I promise I will not come last.

I went back to the room to swap for my night time camera. Yes I have a day time and a night time set up. I'm that dedicated to the Photographing Disney Blog of mine. Robin, Paula and Wes - Did Beauty and the Beast, Tower of Terror and the Great Movie Ride, whilst I was gone. Wes probably claims he has never done the rides, he does that a lot. I think he has fridge magnet photos of him in his Kitchen of him on rides that he is claiming he's never been on!

After another chat with our chums the Milwards and some food at the Backlot Express we went to the Osborne Lights. Oh I can't describe how happy it made us all feel. It was such a joy. Everyone was dancing to the music, having fun. Taking selfies. It was really great. The lights look wonderful, the dancing portions are well designed, the lighting is clever as well as advance. We stayed there from 7pm to throwing out time at 9pm and it was the best time on the trip for me by far. I took 189 photos and I think Paula took 784. She has posted them on Facebook and they look great.

Robin says that Disney keep saying that this is the last year. Try and catch it if you can it really is wonderful.

OK, that's my 1000 word limit reached. So b,b,b byee.

Larry from Scotland etc.

We know where you live.

Your "chums", the Millwards ........

Silvercat

(Enjoy reading trip reports? Why not try my books, "Tiggerific Travels" - all 4 books available now as e-books)

Really enjoying your report, thanks for sharing!

TulaBelle
    Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever.

Hanging by a thread here!!!!

Enjoying the trip report!

Thursday 12th of November. Larry Not Very Live at All.

Whoops OK - I said this was going to be a live trip report. Errrr, so I did good for half a week. But you know how it is. You spend the night out at the Osborne Lights and you stay up late to write your trip report. And then the next day you are tired. You've hit the Wall, you look at your live trip report and no one seems to be reading it much and then the next night you say, hmmm write up trip report verses GO TO SLEEP, and suddenly your live trip report isn't live at all. So I apologize. I am a slacker and I didn't get the thing finished on time. Bit hey I've suddenly found the energy to finish up writing the last three days. It's called not having to go to work for Thanksgiving. Yeah. I don't even really celebrate Thanksgiving being all British but if work are going to give me two and a half days off work to participate in this festival of turkey who am I to say no. OK take your self back in time a couple of weeks to Thursday the 13th November.....................

Well today is the day we go back to Epcot. This trip seems to have been an Epcot and Magic Kingdom sort of trip. Only one visit to Animal Kingdom despite wanting to go and photograph it in the dark it never happened. I think all the barriers up there put me off. So we get a bus to Epcot without much of a fuss and get there for opening time. We decide to head up towards the Land so we can do soaring. We find by the time we get there the wait time is 20 minutes and that's not too bad. We are not over fast across the ground after we got into the long walk from the attraction entrance to the waiting area we are walking steadily if leisurely when a family of a couple of kids and a mom and dad come steaming past us at a rapid rate of knots, the dad leading the route march and the mom looking sheepish as they bundle past us. Obviously when we get to the head of the line they have gotten exactly in front of us and have to stand with us while I rant on for the whole 20 minutes how this is the trip of rude guests and how standards are slipping these days. They pretend that they can't hear me.

Soarin is as much fun as ever. Though we were on the back row and the dangling legs kind of get into my vision. I reach down to the sack below my seat and pull out my Australian floppy hat which has a wide brim and that shields my eyes from the seaming millions of crocs and sandals in my periphery vision. Got a thrill out of flying over the Holiday Inn, always gets my heartstrings that one, dunno why.

We went to ride It's a small lettuce. We asked for the front row so that we could have a bit of leg room for our dodgy knees and the Cast Member said and I quote. "We would like to offer you a Disney Magical Moment" "Cool" we replied. And what it was, was that we got to ride in a boat with two cast members one regular and one an intern from the agricultural research staff. This was I must admit rather nice, as she gave us a running commentary on what was growing there, her work, the last unit you pass through is hers and tons of very interesting info. She was sweet and the other guy was quiet but a nice chap. All in all it was a very nice thing that they did for us. In the unlikely event that someone from the Land is reading this, pass on our thanks it was all rather spiffingly super.

We met up with Wes and Paula in the Food Court in the Land where we had a very healthy I'm sure breakfast, actually it was pretty much the same stuff you get everywhere in Walt Disney World for breakfast. Apparently the health food in the Land starts at 11am before then you can die of a heart attack like everyone else.

We went and did a second run at soarin using our Fastpass+ by then the queue was around 45 mins so the old system seems to work, go to a big ride first, do it then use FP. The only difference being that you have to sort it out 15 months or so in advance. Love that orange scent though!

I went off for about 20 mins to do some blog photography SAM_3365.jpg and have a little Larry time. Robin sat on a stone wall to catch some people watching time and Wes and Paula went and did the Living with the Land boat tour sans special Disney magic. We then went to the Living Seas and we skipped the little ride, well Robin and I did, Wes and Paula rode it. We mainly went to watch the Manatees which is something I like to do. I also took a few fishy photos.

We went over to the World Showcase. I may have gotten a little grumpy at this point because we went shopping for Christmas stocking gifts, the plan was to get gifts from each land. However, I figured that as there are many lands it would take forever to do this unless we limited the time. So I suggested 20 minutes each land. I think we gave up after China it wasn't working for us. We had lunch Paula and Wes went to Germany. Robin and I went to France. Any little problemettes we had about the shopping were fixed by the magic of French Baking. Vive la France, Vive la Patisserie.

We took the boat over to MGM. Or well Robin did and I sort of did. Robin stayed on the boat for the whole trip. I got off at the Boardwalk and took about 50 photos of the boardwalk, across the water towards the Y and B club, and of the Swolphin. The boat is so slow that I had time to do this and get on the same boat that Robin was on at the Swolpin Stop. Though I may have had to run the last 50 yards to catch it. Still for some reason I found the whole deal highly entertaining. I'm easy to please.

Into MGM studios. (I know DHS!) We went and did the Beauty and the Beast Show, which I rather enjoy. It's always the same but always somehow good. Must be a France Appreciation Day or something today. Afterwards it was almost dark. Wes and Paula had gone ahead and saved some seats at the Fantasmic Show. These were on the very back row. Which wasn't great for viewing but they did have a back rest and hey that's a bonus when you are on a bleacher for an hour or so. The show is as always wonderful. I still find the water projection screens a wee bit long. (Oxymoron there.) And it might be a tad anti British but I love the sound track and the puppets are great. Love the snake with the mega light beam eyes. Malificent is Magnificent. All in all a super show.

Well that's about it for Thursday, i was dog tired so off to bed we went when we got back to the room.

Thanks for reading sorry it's a bit late in arriving.

Cheers Larry.

Larry, even though most of us aren't posting, we are reading. Please keep it up and finish!!

Kevin

Larry, where are you?

He's starting a new job, so that is probably taking up much of his time ......

Silvercat

(Enjoy reading trip reports? Why not try my books, "Tiggerific Travels" - all 4 books available now as e-books)

Friday 14th of November.

Well the trip is heading towards it's end. I always get a little low feeling at the end, but somehow, it didn't feel quite so bad this time. I decided that today was going to be a day that I concentrated on photography but still managed to have lots of fun too. I think I took about 750 photos today. I'm using them as visual clues as to what I did today. As you might have noticed, I rather dropped the ball on this trip report but I'd hate for it to languish unfinished. As my good friend Silvercat said, I've just started a new job and I've been rather busy in getting my head around this. But it's time to get this thing done as Buddy Holly would say, Take it home Larry.

Today we had a really long day at the Magic Kingdom, When we went in, I took some photos of the Christmas Decorations on Main Street for the blog. I had decided to do a December Advent Calendar which has been fun. I could rather have done with a few more seasonal pictures as it turns out but we were in WDW a little too early. Still I managed to get the 24 I needed. See blog http://photographingdisney.blogspot.com/ I also took some photos over the walls of the re-modeling of the park. That seems pretty extensive and it was basically leveled dirt and a bridge or two so it's hard to kind of picture it in your mind yet. But I guess things are going to look a little different.

We went into to Tomorrowland where I took some snaps of course and through into the Haunted Mansion which we rode, having tried out the rather nice toilets under Repunzles Tower. Flushtastic. The tour of the 999 ghosts was fun as always. I was hoping it would stop at some point to make it easier to take photos but sadly not. I enjoyed finding the gravestone which says - In Memory of our Dear Departed Patriarch Grandpa Marc. Which is a tribute to Marc Davis who was the chief imagineer on the ride, it is his paintings you see in the stretch room. We saw a lovely exhibition of his work in the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco this year. If you get a chance to go there it's well worth while.

I sneaked off to do some photography from the elevated position of the Swiss Family Tree House. First time I've been up there in eons but with a telephoto lens you can take some unusual angle shots of Space Mountain, the Castle and Big Thunder.

We met up for the Jingle Cruise, which is the Christmas version of the cruise. Just as corny and bad taste as the normal Jungle Cruise, so if you go at that time of year you will still have had the same experience only different.

Robin stopped to take in the atmosphere and Wes Paula and I rode the Pirates of the Caribbean and boy was that a mistake, we sat in the front row and down the drop, there was an almighty splash and we all got very wet, and it wasn't a hot day, I was squelching for some hours, rather miserable for a while. I had left my cameras with Robin so I was glad about that at least.

Went for a ride on Big Thunder, at least the centrifugal force spun some of my excess swamp water off me. Then I went for another ride on the hot ticket, the Mine Train, I enjoyed it more this time because I knew what to expect and and I decided to upgrade it from Short and Pointless to Short and Fun. There you go, see I'm a fair man after all. Took some nice photos on the ride too, it's smooth so the cameras didn't bash my head in.

We went to see the castle show, which was kind of fun in a "I don't watch the Castle Show EVER, but I've seen it twice this week" kind of way. You all know that I used to be really bad at acquiring illicit fastpasses, then I saw the light after I helped Disney tweak the system to cut down the abuse and stopped stealing them. Well the new system has blown all that away, it's impossible to steal Fastpass pluses. Hmmm. Robin had problems with ours which caused our park tickets to disappear from out tickets tomorrow, so she rang up Disney during the show and they gave her new ones and suddenly the old ones came back. So we had five or six Fastpasses on our bands at the same time. Even when I'm not trying to steal them I seem to do so. Whatever.

We went on the boat, past Discovery Island to the Wilderness Lodge where we had lunch at the Whispering Canyon, gosh we had a weird water. I know it's fun and they play jokes but he was strange. The food was ok except for Paulas Quesodilla - Sorry can't spell it - But it was smokey chicken, it was un-edible it should have been re-named Crematorium Chicken. Robin was using gift cards, bought with the Target Red Card discount to pay for the lunch, He processed them in the wrong order and didn't think he had been given a tip, which he had and he came literally chasing after us to complain, catching us at the entryway. He was something else. Maybe it was a bad day, so Merry Christmas to him, we all have bad days. We liked the tomato ketchup joke though.

We went back to the MK for the 3 o'clock parade, which was really good, Loved the Steampunk Dragon. Best thing I've seen in a parade anywhere. Robin got us the Fastpass+ viewing area which is a really good idea if you want to take photos. I stood at the point where the parade meets the roundabout by the castle and it's a great shot spot. Lovely parade, well done Robin good FP+ choice.

We left the park after that, and went for a little rest. Then we went back to Downtown Disney, Robin had some last minute gift shopping to do, I went for a wander around to take some photos and to mourn the loss of the Adventurer's club. I'm still pretty sore about that one. Thanks Obama! (Oh it closed down and it was during George W's time, and it had nothing to do with the Presidential Office. - So it's not Obama's fault. Hey I watch Fox News, obviously it's his fault - THANKS OBAMA!)

We ate at the Duke of Sandwich. Where you can buy the sort of British Sandwiches that aren't sold or eaten in Britain, all well, there tasty so who cares.

Well that's all for this installment.

Thanks for reading, Cheers Larry.

Larry and or Robin,
    Please please please don't leave us hanging here. I would love to see this one finished.

Did I say PLEASE??!!

Ellen

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ4Disney View Post
    Larry and or Robin,
    Please please please don't leave us hanging here. I would love to see this one finished.

Did I say PLEASE??!!

Ellen
    Ditto!
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021