Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Weekend After New Years - 2015

Weekend After New Years - 2015

I'm thinking of going January 1-4. I've read posts saying that the first weekend after NYE is crowded, though it is not a blackout on the Deluxe AP calendar. Can I go ahead and assume it will be busy, due to it being a weekend, and some kids haven't returned to school after Christmas break?

2. # ADS

This was meant to be in the crowd level questions thread. My apologies.

The 1st is still horribly crowded. You also have Rose bowl teams, their families, bands, rose parade participants, etc.... I can't remember if the 1st still reaches capacity and causes gate closures or not. I kknow the 31st does. Our kids go back to school on the 6th or 7th. The official Christmas time goes through the 4th, so expect really busy. I tried to warn my brother a few years ago and he didn't listen.
    So, assuming this is your available time frame, go with a plan. Top must do's, then work your way down. Use Fastpass, remember if one gate is closed for entry, the other park is usually still allowing entry, and typically, the gate reopens after the afternoon parade as people are exiting. Eat at off peak times. Shop during the day, as park closing time will pack people into shops. Look for less popular attractions for downtime.

Thank you, Candles. We talked about those dates because the Christmas decorations will still be up. I normally try not to go on holidays or weekends, but the person I will be going with has a scorching case of Disneyland fever. It's a double edged sword: enjoy the decorations, and ride a handful of rides (if that) each day. Our other option was go after Presidents' Day holiday in Feb. But the Christmas decorations and theming are so amazing.

Just for kicks, I sometimes read the Trip advisor ratings for Disneyland (Someone else here got me hooked). Especially the 1 star ones. Of course, then I am just yelling at my phone about idiotic people who don't plan, or ever look into what they want to do. The ones around New Years are the best.
    Just by being here on MP you are 12 steps ahead. Have fun, just know it will be busy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoseasev View Post
    Thank you, Candles. We talked about those dates because the Christmas decorations will still be up. I normally try not to go on holidays or weekends, but the person I will be going with has a scorching case of Disneyland fever. It's a double edged sword: enjoy the decorations, and ride a handful of rides (if that) each day. Our other option was go after Presidents' Day holiday in Feb. But the Christmas decorations and theming are so amazing.
    It will be very busy. Get in early and be prepared for heavier than summer crowds. Rose Bowl is Jan 1st. It will start slow (well, slow for that time period.) But once the parade ends, it will get more crowded. The 2nd and 3rd are still heavy.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Thank you both for the advice. I'm now seriously considering my other option, a trip after Presidents' Day weekend in late February. I think my love of riding/seeing the attractions might outweigh my love of the Christmas decor at DL.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Just for kicks, I sometimes read the Trip advisor ratings for Disneyland (Someone else here got me hooked). Especially the 1 star ones. Of course, then I am just yelling at my phone about idiotic people who don't plan, or ever look into what they want to do. The ones around New Years are the best.
    Just by being here on MP you are 12 steps ahead. Have fun, just know it will be busy.
    hey, I found them a few weeks ago looking for something else and I thought it was ironic that two posters know every hour of the park, 365 days of the year. But it does help the folks from Australia who use the sight more frequently. I was going to sign up, but then decided I better see how my apocalyptic forecast for 2014 holiday advice follows thru before stepping into the fray. Then I found another site, higher traffic then the rodent sites but very poor format, hard to read, hard to follow and my oh my, those folks are really looking at the holidays thru rose colored glasses. If I had known about that site, I would have up the ante on holiday visitors to the park

Before committing to the change, look at the 2015 refurb list thread, or in the park update. It is pretty heavy for the first part of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    It will be very busy. Get in early and be prepared for heavier than summer crowds. Rose Bowl is Jan 1st. It will start slow (well, slow for that time period.) But once the parade ends, it will get more crowded. The 2nd and 3rd are still heavy.
    We will be in the park January 4, 5 and 6. Do you think these days will be less crowded?

Quote Originally Posted by DebT View Post
    We will be in the park January 4, 5 and 6. Do you think these days will be less crowded?
    Was at the park on Jan 5 this year. Was insane due to people getting and renewing their passes that Sunday.

Sundays are busier than Saturdays any more. Because of local blackouts on Saturdays.

Blog Entries

We generally leave on the 3rd. BUT, it is usually still pretty crowd. 5th and 6th will still probably be crazy with people wanting to get a last view of Christmas. It won't be as bad as the 26th-2nd.

Planning 3 trips at once...