Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: CRYING over Little Mermaid Closure

CRYING over Little Mermaid Closure

Wah!!!!We have waited FIVE long years to return to WDW specifically to see the new Little Mermaid ride and all the new Fantasyland improvements, I upgrade our trip last week to Beach Club, was starting to get so excited, so I hop on here for the first time in years and see that they are CLOSING the new Little Mermaid ride for the ENTIRE TIME we will be there. I am so devastated and mad! My kids will be heartbroken! I'd cancel and rebook but we already bought our non-refundable airfare. Sorry to vent but I am so pissed that they would close a new ride during the peak February vacations!!! ARGH!! *sob sob sob* #firstworldproblemsiknowbutstill

2. # ADS

I feel your pain. At least in these days of the internet, you can find out way in advance what's gonna be closed, and make adjustments. Anyone remember the olden days when you didn't know what was closed till you got to the park? It used to just KILL us when we'd hit the gates of Disneyland and find out that Pirates or the Haunted Mansion was closed for refurb!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Believe me, you ain't missin' much! The entire ride's on youtube if that's any consolation.

John

I agree it's not that good. I'm sure it's not worth changing your plans for!

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Aw, I thought it was cute!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

It is a cute ride and it seems soon for it to be having a refurb. But it's not in my top 5 rides, not even in MK.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by pixiepower View Post
    ....close a new ride during the peak February vacations!!!
    February is traditionally slow and thus a prime season for refurbs. Scheduling a trip in February pretty much guarantees a host of closures. If you go mid-summer, you will have more crowds but less refurbs.
    DL ~ June 1981 ~ March 2000 ~ Oct/Nov 2001 ~ March 2006 ~ Oct/Nov 2007 ~ March 2009 ~ Sept 2010 ~ March 2011 ~ Sept 2011 ~ Sept 2012 ~ Sept 2013 ~ Sept 2015 ~ Aug/Sept 2016
    WDW ~ March 2005 ~ Sept 2009 ~ Aug//Sept 2014
    DVC MEMBER since March 2011
    Next trip: WDW August 20-Sept 4

Quote Originally Posted by codewoman View Post
    It is a cute ride and it seems soon for it to be having a refurb. But it's not in my top 5 rides, not even in MK.
    While it's not in my top 5 either, still I can understand the priority of wanting to see a new-ish Disney attraction for the first time. The only time I've ever stood in line for 2 1/2 hours was when Indy opened in DL. Long wait, but it was my only chance to see it that trip, and thus it was well worth it!
    - James Taylor

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jsilkey View Post
    February is traditionally slow and thus a prime season for refurbs. Scheduling a trip in February pretty much guarantees a host of closures. If you go mid-summer, you will have more crowds but less refurbs.
    Check out the upcoming refurb schedule in this weeks DL Update. You could theoretically show up in Disneyland this coming January and find, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, the Bobsleds, Pooh, Peter Pan, all closed! And over at DCA, Soarin', Luigis, and no World of Color!

Mid winter is tough!

Thanks for making me feel better guys! It's not the end of the world I know, but we waited so long for Fantasyland to be completed, and it's my youngest's first time. Cinderella's Royal Table is closed and now Ariel her favorite princess. February is big vaca time for us New Englanders with school vacation weeks, and usually the refurbs are posted before we book. This one came as a surprise. Wamp wah.

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Thanks for making me feel better guys! It's not the end of the world I know, but we waited so long for Fantasyland to be completed, and it's my youngest's first time. Cinderella's Royal Table is closed and now Ariel her favorite princess. February is big vaca time for us New Englanders with school vacation weeks, and usually the refurbs are posted before we book. This one came as a surprise. Wamp wah.
    I'm not sure if Ariel's Grotto will be closed simultaneously. Hopefully they're just working on the attraction and not the adjacent meet and greet. Your daughter might be able to at least meet her if it's open. That might be even better than her going on the ride. How about a meal at Akershus in Norway? We've met the non-finned Ariel there several times.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    It used to just KILL us when we'd hit the gates of Disneyland and find out that Pirates or the Haunted Mansion was closed for refurb!
    Daniel Clark Griswold?
    Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Park's closed, folks - the moose out front shoulda toldja. . .

- James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Park's closed, folks - the moose out front shoulda toldja. . .
    Mr Candy made some the greatest movies. Uncle Buck, classic!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    Mr Candy. . .
    's best work was on SCTV. He was also excellent in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles," "Only the Lonely" and "Stripes."

But, yeah, I can't put my finger on why this ride is so underwhelming. It just is. Like the expensive Mission Space I think it just didn't turn out to be as cool as most expected. I bet that Soarin' and The Haunted Mansion turned out to be better than almost anyone had expected.

I completely get Pixiepower's disappointment. Expect a similar thread from me if the Peoplemover, Hall of Presidents, American Adventure or the Carousel of Progress are closed when we visit. I'm going to show my youngster attractions we don't have a Disneyland--and, of course, to see all of Universal Orlando's Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

I dunno, I really like the full size Ariel animatronic about halfway through on the left.

I book Wilderness Lodge way back in March for 11/20-11/27, it wasn't until June that I got a letter telling me they were refubing the main pool and it will be closed until 11/27. I'm hoping they will get finished early. I tried to book some where else, but since I have the free dining, (rebooked in May to get that) I would end up having to pay more. So I'm stuck at DWL. So I totally understand your frustration. This was a very big trip for us as 11/25 is my 25th wedding anniversary and my oldest son is a senior this year and will be going into the USMC making this our last family trip while it is just "us".
    WDW 2008 off-site, WDW 2010 Polynesian (Club), WDW Polynesian Dec 15-21 2011 (Club), WDW WL Nov 20-Nov 27 2014

Be upset about teh pool if you want, but WL is the best place on property as far as I know. I love that place. Need to swing by the shop there and get me a shirt! And I need another t shirt about like a hole in the head.

Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20

Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    Be upset about teh pool if you want, but WL is the best place on property as far as I know. I love that place. Need to swing by the shop there and get me a shirt! And I need another t shirt about like a hole in the head.
    Considering that there could be construction walls and such ruining the view of the area and that I really wanted to enjoy sitting in the hot tub while looking at said view, wanted to enjoy a drink from the pool bar and I have a son who loves the water, the pool is a big deal. Trudging over to another resort to use that pool is not what I paid for, if the closure had been posted before I booked, that would be one thing, but I booked based on not only location and style of the resort, but also the pool. Yes I know the other pool is open, but if I wanted to use that kind of pool I could just stay at Holiday Inn.
    WDW 2008 off-site, WDW 2010 Polynesian (Club), WDW Polynesian Dec 15-21 2011 (Club), WDW WL Nov 20-Nov 27 2014

Yeah the hot tub there is nice. Especially if you get to watch the others get soaked by wind-blown cold geyser water!

To OP, I'm so sorry about your disappointment. I've seen the DL Mermaid ride and the WDW one. I think they are installing the DL upgrades to our Mermaid ride just as they did at DL. Still your princess can see Ariel at several places in the park. I'm sure there will still be a Meet and Greet for her. Also, there's a show at DHS, Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Nope, it's not a ride but I'm sure she will enjoy it!

GnP

I've never seen that show at dhs. Maybe the girls will want to see it this time.

CRYING over Little Mermaid Closure

Oh you must see it. Even my 15 year old lad will watch Voyage of the Little Mermaid it's a lovely show. Try and sit as close to the middle as possible and several rows back. It's not a show to be seen from the last three seats on either end of the row and the front couple of rows are not on this occasion the best. Neat puppetry.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    Oh you must see it. Even my 15 year old lad will watch Voyage of the Little Mermaid it's a lovely show. Try and sit as close to the middle as possible and several rows back. It's not a show to be seen from the last three seats on either end of the row and the front couple of rows are not on this occasion the best. Neat puppetry.
    What, me see a show about a pretty redhead? That won't take much arm-twisting...