Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Last Trip For A While - a WDW Trip Report 9-14

Last Trip For A While - a WDW Trip Report 9-14

It's been about 3 weeks since my last visit, so it's probably time to get it all down. Finances have really dried up in the last month, so this was my last trip for the immediate future. I hope for a springtime visit, but a lot will have to change for it to happen. This was my birthday visit - turned 58 in the World!

Saturday, 9/27 -

I didn't have a lot of time off like I had earlier in the summer, so I flew down instead of driving, scoring a cheap upgrade to 1st class on the way to Orlando (what a great way to fly!). I picked up my rental car from Budget and it was off to WDW. I wasn't sure the Pop would have a room for me this early, but they did, so I checked in without incident. I've had trouble in the past with linking my Premier pass to the Magic Band, so I didn't even try this time. I used my Band to unlock my room and to make purchases, and then used the Premier card for park admission and FP+ access. This all worked like a dream.

I had a lot to do on this first evening in Epcot -

I wanted to do the Maelstrom one last time, and used a FP+ for it with about a 5 minute wait (regular line was well over an hour!). Then up to the American pavilion and a set from the Voices of Liberty -

...followed by a viewing of The American Adventure. Next it was back down to Futureworld and a FP+ run on Test Track. I had a FP+ for Spaceship Earth for a bit later, but that was really gonna cramp the rest of the evening. There was only a 5 minute standby line, so I jumped on for my first SSE ride of the trip. And then it was back up to the American pavilion to see Christopher Cross -

Of the three acts I saw on this trip, CC had by far the best musicians, but unfortunately a lame sound person. Everything was very clear, but just not blended very well. No reverb at all, and it never sounded like a full band. Still a great show, however. Now I had to race back up to Futureworld (lots of walking!) and dinner at the Coral Reef. Being a creature of habit I had my usual Coral Reef Sriracha Shrimp -

...followed by my usual Seared Mahi Mahi with Laughing Bird Shrimp, Hearts of Palm, Jasmine Rice, Cilantro, and a Coconut-Lime Sauce -

I had to rush things much more than usual, as my next stop was the final set from Off Kilter. There were probably over 2000 people crammed into the little plaza, and the boys were very touched by the crowd response. I'll miss them greatly, and wish them much success in the future. From here I barely had time to zip into the Rose & Crown for a few tasty martinis. They were incredibly crowded, but by some miracle I was still able to land my favorite spot at the end of the bar nearest the piano. IllumiNations was at 10pm this crowded evening, followed by the standard cigar walk around the World Showcase and back to my room at the Pop. A very busy first evening, but I was able to accomplish everything I wanted to do - an excellent first day!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

2. # ADS

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

Happy Birthday Dan, looking forward to the rest of the TR.

Sunday, 9/28 -

Today is MK day. I made it for the entry show, which is always fun. I couldn't get a FP+ for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, so the only chance I had to ride it was to get there first thing. I made it with about 30 minutes worth of people in front of me, but I noticed right away that the line wasn't moving. A voice came over the P.A. saying that the ride was experiencing "technical difficulties", and they couldn't estimate when it would open. I just didn't feel like waiting for a maybe, so I got out of line and hit Mermaid. This turned out to be a big mistake. As I exited Mermaid I saw that the line was now moving swiftly, so I tried to get in line. I never did see the end of the line, but I got to a point where I knew I didn't want to stand in this much longer line than when I first got there. So no SDMT this trip. I now had a bit of time to kill before my first FP+, so I got a chocolate pastry and a glass of LeFou's Brew (yummy!). Time for my FP+ run on Peter Pan, followed by Mickey's PhilHarmagic and a quick ride on Pooh. I next headed over to Frontierland via the new Tangled pathway for a ride on the Haunted Mansion and then lunch at Columbia Harbour House. Time now for my next FP+, a ride on Big Thunder Mountain. I had a FP+ for Splash but it was down, so I enjoyed a ride on Pirates and then out to the hotel.

Evening was back at Epcot to catch the next show of the Eat to the Beat series - Hanson. Yes, teeny boppers Hanson.

They actually were pretty good, but the enthusiastic crowd was on their feet the whole show, meaning I had to stand to see anything ("Sit down, you wacky kids - and get off of my yard!"). Dinner was at the excellent Hacienda de San Angel -

I wanted to do the shrimp and pineapple appetizer that I've enjoyed before. But the menu has changed, so I had some type of shrimp cocktail (sorry, can't find a current menu anywhere) -

... followed by the always delicious Pollo al Pastor, achiote marinated chicken served with roasted vegetables, beans and pineapple relish -

It was now time already to head to the Rose & Crown, IllumiNations, cigar walk, & back to the hotel. Yeah, I've done exactly this routine many many times, but I really enjoy both my time at the R&C and the quiet walk around the Lagoon. It makes a nice end to a nice day!

- James Taylor

I really love reading your trip reports. I like seeing photos with reports and your photos are always wonderful.

WDW 2008 off-site, WDW 2010 Polynesian (Club), WDW Polynesian Dec 15-21 2011 (Club), WDW WL Nov 20-Nov 27 2014

Monday, 9/29 -

It's my birthday!!! Yup, I'm 58 years old, I'm alone, and I'm spending my birthday in Disney World! That can sound good or bad depending on how you take it.

This morning was early entry in Animal Kingdom. I had some FP+'s but I didn't really need 'em. I started the morning out with a rainy run on Kilimanjaro Safaris, and guess what? Animals don't like rain! Probably the fewest animal sightings I've ever experienced. Half of Pangani Forest was closed for refurb, so you had to enter through the exit, go as far as the gorillas, then turn around and head out the same way you came in. Gorillas don't much like the rain either, so this was pretty much a bust as well. Then I headed over to Everest, always a fun ride -

I did my normal 3 times with minimal wait, then over to Dinosaur. I had a FP+ for a bit later, but the standby line was only 5 minutes long. Next I took a ride on Countdown to Extinction, re-remembering how incredibly rough this ride is! I had time to see Bug before lunch. I was really happy to see that they've taken down all of that safety netting, and you now have beautiful, unobstructed views of the Tree of Life. Lunch was at Flame Tree, where I enjoyed my usual plate of ribs, baked beans & cole slaw while sitting by the water with Everest across the way - nice. And that was it for DAK this time - back to my hotel.

My birthday meal was at the California Grill, but due to the lousy weather, instead of a lovely view of the sunset I had a view of a soggy MK -

Being a creature of habit (have I mentioned that before?) I had my usual Spicy Kazan Roll -

... followed by the oak fired filet of beef -

Very tasty, but the crappy weather was starting to harsh my vibe. I had planned on sipping a couple of martinis at Mizner's Lounge in the Grand Floridian, and then into the MK for fireworks. But the rain was really coming down, and I just wasn't in the mood to fight it. So back to the hotel. Kind of a wimpy way to end a birthday . . .

- James Taylor

Tuesday, 9/30 -

It's already my last full day in the World (sob!). The morning was spent at the Studios, starting with the Mermaid show (nice as always), followed by a FP+ at Midway Mania (yeah, you miss Potato Head, but other than that FP+ is the only way to go!). Once around on the Great Movie Ride and it was time for my (unneeded) FP+ on Star Tours. Coming off of this ride the rain was really coming down. Have I mentioned that it rained a whole bunch this trip? This wasn't the normal late summer 20 minute shower every afternoon. This was major rain that lasted for HOURS. And when it wasn't raining it was 90 with a humidity real feel of 105. Totally crappy weather, probably the worst weather of any WDW trip I've ever taken -

I finally broke down and bought an umbrella, and made good use of it over the next couple of days. I had no real plans for lunch, so I grabbed a seafood plate at the Commissary, then back to my hotel.

My last evening was, as usual, spent in Epcot. Other than picking up rides that I'd missed till now, like Ellen, Test Track and Impresions de France, my main focus was on seeing Air Supply -

They did a pretty good show, with lots of audience interaction -

The lead singer, Russell Hitchcock, was in great voice, sounding just as strong as he did during their run of big hits. The band was kind of mushy, but overall I enjoyed their show. Of the three acts I saw on the American Gardens stage this trip, believe it or not the nod has to go to Hanson!

Dinner tonight was at the food booths of the Food & Wine Festival. Last year I started in Mexico and worked clockwise, so this time I started in the America pavilion, still going clockwise. I started with a tasty lobster alfredo and a glass of chardonnay from a booth called Hops and Barley in the American pavilion -

Next was a kefka sandwich and a glass of white wine from Morocco -

They've changed up the recipe for the escargot at the France booth. It's interesting, but I like the old style better -

I had a lobster and seafood fisherman's pie and a very small glass of honey wine from Ireland -

Canada was the big hit for me, with the beef filet mignon and a glass of apple ice wine -

This was a really excellent hunk of steak, perfectly done medium, about 5 bites of tasty beefy goodness! Next was the chicken gyro and white wine from Greece -

And finally I stopped at the Puerto Rico booth for a very tasty Carne Guisada and some mango rum -

I was by now both stuffed and pretty tipsy, but I couldn't let the night go without a trip to the Rose & Crown. This was the first time in my 3 visits where Miss Carol was playing, and she graciously invited me up to sing with her - big hit, of course! IllumiNations, cigar walk, and out the front for one last time. An excellent evening!

- James Taylor

Wednesday, 10/1 -

Wow - last day already! Like most trips, this one was over way too soon. Like most trips, I spent this last morning at my favorite park, Epcot. I did one run on Soarin', riding so early that they didn't even have the overhead monitor video running in the queue. I had a FP+ for Soarin' in about 1/2 an hour, leaving enough time for my usual Adult Breakfast from Seasons. After my 2nd trip on Soarin' (with the video properly running this time!), I did once around through The Land, then over to visit with Nemo at The Seas -

I went to see EO one more time (love this show - always have!), skipping the main Imagination ride (the lamest ride in all of WDW). Time for lunch at the Rose & Crown. Even with weather threatening I still opted to eat out on the patio, starting with a delicious scotch egg -

... and something I haven't had here before, Shredded Corned Beef on Toast - cabbage slaw, McCall's Irish cheddar, and Branston dressing -

Very tasty, but again the view of the Lagoon was marred by the lousy weather -

Time already to head out, but I had one last FP+ for a final ride on Spaceship Earth, a truly great way to end a visit. Rental car to the airport, and a quick, uneventful flight home. This will go down as a pretty bad trip, mainly due to the massively bad weather. And it's extra bad as I'm now pretty broke, with no WDW trip on the horizon. Hopefully things will turn around and I can do my usual springtime Flower & Garden Festival trip. Here's hoping!

- James Taylor

Maybe the rainbow in the last picture means better times are coming?!?

It really was a beautiful rainbow, that stretched all the way across the World Showcase Lagoon. Here's hoping you're right, rph!

- James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    .......... I was really happy to see that they've taken down all of that safety netting, and you now have beautiful, unobstructed views of the Tree of Life.....
    Good trip report, and this part about the Tree netting coming down is great news! I guess Disney analyzed the tree enough to determine that whatever caused that one branch to fall a while back was not an inherent risk for the rest of the structure.

Best wishes for upgrading your employment situation to help your future trip prospects!
    -Dave

Nice report as ever. I hope your job situation picks up soon. Think positive, I'm sure it helps.
    With regards La Hacienda. I'm
    Planning on eating here for the first time next summer. Can you comment at all in the rice they serve with the children's meals? My DD is horrendously fussy and the menus describe it as Mexican rice. I'm not sure how spicy that may be? I have told her if she doesn't like it I will buy her a head size donut after dinner instead which she's happy with!

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

I wouldn't say the rice is really spicy - just flavorful. You should be fine.

- James Taylor

Thanks

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Trip

Thanks Dan! As always, a wonderful report -- wowie! though, it did look very wet! I'm going to stop taking pictures as yours are so much better

will send good thoughts that you'll find a job you're a bit more happy with --

take care,

faith

I'm surprised they put no single riders with ya on Test Track!

John

Wonderful as always. Happy Birthday...........I can't think of a better way to spend it.
    Ellen

Last Trip For A While - a WDW Trip Report 9-14

Thanks for sharing, Dan. You know what they say... a rainy day at Disney is better than a day at home! (But I wouldn't like it either!) We need blue skies and lots of sun!!! Good luck with your job search.

[
    Followed by Mother/Daughter trip: POP Century - May 13-18

I was at the same parks the same time as you and the rain was horrible. But it did not stop me from from having a great time!!! I hope you are able to go again soon!!!

Great TR Dan. I'm sorry the weather was so lousy for you here during your trip. This summer, especially August and September have had the weirdest weather. I was at the park a week before you and the heat was brutal. And we had a record of 94 straight days of rain. Real hard, soaking rain. This is the weather we pray for when the wildfires pop up and the aquifer is low. I'm glad that you bought an umbrella and soldiered on.
    Happy Birthday!

I think I now have 7 or 8 umbrellas - I keep forgetting to bring one with me and always have to buy a new one at WDW!

- James Taylor

I can't think of a better place to be on my birthday but WDW! Although the weather didn't cooperate, it looks like you still had a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    I'm surprised they put no single riders with ya on Test Track!
    I was kinda surprised at that too, although that didn't keep me from spreading out a bit!
    - James Taylor

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Have they added Mole back to La Hacienda?
    I'm not a small person - but no way I could have had wine at all of the food booths you stopped at. ( even if they're small pours!)

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Have they added Mole back to La Hacienda?
    I'm not a small person - but no way I could have had wine at all of the food booths you stopped at. ( even if they're small pours!)
    No mole as far as I know. I think they serve it inside at the San Angel Inn. And as to the wine, well, that's a big part of the Food and WINE Festival!!!
    - James Taylor

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the mole report. Had it at a tequila pairing lunch a few fests ago and it was so good my toes curled, and then when we made it to a regular seating, they'd recently take but off.

I do the wine part, but I also have to be able to walk out the gates!

Cathy