Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Rock 'n Roll Series

Rock 'n Roll Series

My brother out of the blue last week asked me if I wanted to run the 2015 Chicago Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon with him. Those of you out there who have done a Rock 'n Roll, how was it? I am not expecting a RunDisney race, but was it worth it? My brother is geeking out on the bands, the Boulder Boulder is pretty much the same thing, just not a half. Is each race very different, distinctly different or cookie cutter?

Any info would help in the decision to take the plunge.

2. # ADS

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I've only done one Rock n Roll, in San Diego, which was my first half marathon. I thought the whole thing was run pretty well overall, registration, check-in, race, everything. I don't remember encountering any problems. The race support was great, between the official stations and the people of San Diego. I know some people are excited about some of the bands along the route, but I'll admit I don't quite get that because you're only going to hear them for a tiny bit of time as you run/walk past them. it would be different if they were giving the closing concert or something. The medal was pretty nice. I have a friend who's going to end up running 10 Rock n Roll races this year (they give extra medals for various challenges), and he seems to love them. I believe they're all slightly different though.

I'm actually enjoying trying out races other than Disney. Some parts are better, some parts are worse, but it's all interesting.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've done two RnR New Orleans halves and 1 RnR Portland.

I agree with cstephens about the bands/groups on the course - you are only near them for a very short time period.

the last RnR NOLA (2014) had some real negatives for me - ran out of medals (they did give us place-holder medals, and when they mailed the real one, it came with a really nice RnR guitar pin - which I have no use for) - the only carb at the finish was a bag of popcorn or 'popcorn chips' (which they had to search for for me, since my orthodontist says no popcorn with braces) - and there were some issues with the beer (I ended up not walking over that far to the finish line party to find out - my local track club had a 'tent' area with unlimited beer). They ARE making some changes this year to the beer based on complaints from last year. I didn't notice if the full marathoners had different food or not - but I'd have been deeply unsatisfied with that spread after 26 miles! (I don't remember if they were supposed to have chocolate milk or not).

PDX ran out of chocolate milk by the time I finished, which was disappointing for me. I also didn't care for the course/start line area -- I couldn't hear the National Anthem - at all (nobody in my corral could) and the elites were well past 5K before I was even close to the start line -- so much so that they released the last 3 or 4 corrals together to get us out of there so they could get the finish set up for the elites.

The first two NOLA expos I went to (I went to the first one they had because I'd registered, but wasn't able to participate) and the PDX one (2013) were pretty good - HUGE Brooks area and then quite a few other vendors. The latest NOLA one was pretty sparcely populated.

They do charge for runner tracking, too.

Will I do NOLA again? Maybe, Probably not in 2015 (it's in January, and I'm doing the WDW full in January - and I'm not sure how I'll be feeling - and I'm not signing up for a super expensive 10K, which they have added to race day here). They are HUGE events, and I'd rather spread my dollars elsewhere and in more local-ish events (or to travel to Disney events - though after Tink I'm probably done with them for a year or two, too)

Competitor Group that runs RnR HAS cancelled some races in the last couple of years - so unless it's a well established city for them, I'd make sure you understand their policies if they do (I think they were letting people transfer to any other RnR event, but you'd have travel cost issues to consider).

Cathy

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I spectated while my DH and DF ran RnR Seattle (DH the full, DF the half) and from my perspective it was a well run race. The expo was great and I loved that they had merchandise available for purchase AFTER the event. I was able to pick up a finisher tech shirt for my husband because I thought he would want a dry shirt when he finished. He did.

I ran RnR Las Vegas last year. The race was well organized, like the Seattle race, and I really appreciated that. I didn't like that there were 40 corrals. I'm not exaggerating. I hated the course and I really didn't get to hear the bands except for the moment when I ran by them. I loved the chocolate milk at the end. Best post race giveaway ever.

I would do another RnR event, but not Las Vegas. I just really did not like the course at all. There were lots of spectators on the strip, but unfortunately most of them were drunk/drinking and/or smoking. It didn't make for the best air quality while running. Then the middle of the course took you through the ghetto. I'm so glad that DH was with me. Coming back was pretty much the same as going out.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've run roughly 27 or so RnR Half Marathons since 2006 and have enjoyed almost all of them (Nashville and Providence were both in the pouring rain so hard to blame the race organizers). Over the years, I've been seeing fewer and fewer bands out on the course except in Seattle which still has great representation. Lots of course changes as well as Competitor has tried to improve the race experience (Seattle was a nightmare the first couple of years as they had to bus everyone to the start in Tukwilla).

Usually very good expos (runDisney even attends many of them). Good selection of official branded merchandise at the expo. Quality isn't bad although I do miss the specialty jackets by Sugoi from the first couple of years they were a sponsor. They were gorgeous.

Very different race experience than runDisney but the races are similar in size (or bigger as Fairest mentioned in Las Vegas) so you still have everyone from very fast runners to brisk walkers.

Medals have been on and off - some definately have better design than others but they have gotten better with age. Looking at my first one from AZ 2006 and comparing to the most recent in Seattle they are like night and day in size (bigger) and better design. Most of the RnRs have started putting more effort into the medal ribbon than just a plain one as well.

Love the Heavy Medal Series where you can earn an extra medal for doing two, three, four, five, six, seven, or ten races in a single year (and yes, you earn ALL the extras not just the top level earned). They are also getting into challenges and as Drince88 pointed out they have added 10ks to the mix. They are also offering more challenge medals for doing multiple events (3 out of the 4 CA events for example or both Portland and Seattle events).

Overall I would recommend giving them a try.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Thanks for the input. I think I will register not only so I can beat the snot out of my OLDER brother, but so I can experience racing in the Midwest again, especially another big city like Chicago.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewyswimmer View Post
    Thanks for the input. I think I will register not only so I can beat the snot out of my OLDER brother....
    That's a great reason in and of itself!
    Unfortunately, all my younger siblings would beat the snot out of me, no matter what we do! It's almost such a foregone conclusion, it's not that fun for them to finish before me!
    Cathy

It is always fun for me to show up my brothers. This one in particular said he could beat me in a 5k. We agreed on a 5k to run in Dayton, OH and I showed up for y pre-race routine. 5 minutes before the start of the race, he shows up. The race starts, I run, I finish, I wait. Beat him by more than 5 minutes. He had excuses. Next year same race, he could not run due to a broken leg. The year after that. He shows up a bit earlier, I still smoked him by 4 minutes. He conceded.

I will not be coaching him during the race since I want a really good seed time and a PR.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewyswimmer View Post
    I will not be coaching him during the race since I want a really good seed time and a PR.
    Just make sure he knows this. I'm always amazed on some of the running FB pages where people are offended that their friend didn't 'run with them' the whole time. I always wonder if they set expectations before they started. Though it's often different with siblings - but hurt feelings CAN last longer!
    Cathy