Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Race Plans

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2015 Race Plans

Being it's already October (!) it's time to start looking at race plans for 2015.

We've got several big runDisney events coming up in 2015:

• the 10th anniversary Goofy Race and a Half Challenge
    • the inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend
    • the inaugural Pixie Dust Challenge (part of the Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend)
    • the 10th anniversary Disneyland Half Marathon

What does everyone have planned for the upcoming year?
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I'm doing the Inaugural Rebel Challenge with Steph. Alex and I have also signed up for the Grizzly Double -- Grand Teton Half Marathon then the Yellowstone Half Marathon the weekend after that. That will be in July.

Depending on how my Achilles tendinitis heals up, I might also start training up again for full marathons and getting my time back down (surprise! Reducing your running by half and not doing any speed workouts will make you way slower), and picking/choosing some full marathons for next year.

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

I'm registered for the Rebel Challenge and the Pixie Dust Challenge. I also intend to register for the Dumbo Double Dare.

I'm registered for the Knott's Coaster run in March. I did it last year and really enjoyed it.

Otherwise I'm thinking of maybe doing the Long Beach half or the Nike Women's half in San Fransisco.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So far, just Mickey one semi-local (driveable, but get a hotel) half, and the Pixie Challenge to get my C2C. Probably not going to do RnR NOLA this year because it's so much earlier - and I'm not overwhelmed by their 'after party' and post-race ammenities. If something happens at Mickey (catching a cold before the race, etc) - I have the Louisiana Marathon as my backup, which I believe is the weekend after Mickey (and also has a 7 hour limit) - provided they allow late sign up!

I haven't decided if I'm going to do the short-race series with the local track club (all between 2 miles and 5K) next year, or stick to their longer races (which aren't as plentiful) and volunteer at the short ones. If I do it, it will be to help them keep the racewalking division. I have yet to not finish last in the division amongst people who are members of the track club (though there have been a couple of female racewalkers that have finished after me, plus some casual walkers - just not members of the club so not eligible for the series awards)

But before that I have 2 or 3 half marathons, a 10 mile race, a 10K and a 5K - and maybe a 5 miler. I'll decide closer to the event date about the third - because it involves crossing the Mississippi River - and that bridge is NOT flat! So I just have to decide how ready I am for that slope. I don't know if that race has a racewalker division - it's honestly such a slope (both up and down) that I'm not sure how easy it would be to keep form on it.

Cathy

So far the plan is the Star Wars inaugural half in January and the Wine and Dine half in the fall. I'd like to add some local races in there too and the SF Giants race.

Headless Chicken

Cool

My plans:

1. Star Wars 10K (January)
    2. Coaster Run 5K (March)
    3. Pixie Dust Challenge (May)
    4. Disneyland 10K (September)
    5. Wine & Dine Half Marathon (November)
    6. Hard Rock Cafe 5K (November - depends on the dates of our WDW trip)

And, of course, I will totally do another Beat the Blerch race should it come to San Diego, as presently rumored for the spring.
    First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So far:

January: Rebel Challenge and Star Wars 5k
    February: Diva Temecula Half Marathon (how could I not, it's in my own backyard?)
    March:Currently nothing but considering San Diego Half Marathon Relay
    April: Hopefully some beautiful runs through Tuscany (not races)
    May: Pixie Challenge and Neverland 5k
    Sept: Disneyland 10k (NOT doing DDD or the HM this year)
    -and perhaps one more race that's just a rumor currently

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Planned so far:
    WDW Marathon
    Star Wars 5k (with the 5 year old)
    Surf City Half Marathon (it's my home race, I need to run it at least once)
    Race on the Base 10k
    Coaster Run 5k (with the 5 year old)
    OC Half Marathon (if MouseAdventure isn't on May 3, I will earn the Beach Cities Challenge medal)
    Huntington Beach July 4 5k (our company gets free entries so this will also be an annual race)
    Dumbo Double Dare (haven't done it yet so the Disneyland Half 10th anniversary is as good a time as any)
    LA Kings 5k (if they do it again)
    Long Beach Half Marathon

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

2015 Race Plans

Donald
    Rebel Challenge/C2C w Team Muscle Makers
    Pixie Challenge w TMM

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Force is strong in this one

Ironman Lake Tahoe is the biggest one for me!

Other than that, I'm going Dopey at WDW, 10th anniversary Legacy runner at DL Half, a couple of century rides in Wisconsin and maybe a 2 mile swim in Lake Superior.

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Longer Distance:
    January: WDW Half Marathon
    May: Chicago Spring Half Marathon
    August: Fort 2 Base 10 Nautical Miles
    Sept: DL Half Marathon (or a certain unannounced rumored oh dear I hope it's true race, in which case I'll also shoot for Avengers to get C2C)

Plus likely a ton of local 5ks and 10ks like every year

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am still on the fence - depends how I do/feel after these races coming up (Avengers and Rebel) but..

January - SW Rebel Challenge
    Aug - Disneyland 10K
    Nov - ?

I may try one more there. Not in my budget to travel anywhere else outside of SoCal these days. Maybe someday....

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I am still on the fence - depends how I do/feel after these races coming up (Avengers and Rebel) but..

January - SW Rebel Challenge
    Aug - Disneyland 10K
    Nov - ?

I may try one more there. Not in my budget to travel anywhere else outside of SoCal these days. Maybe someday....
    TECHNICALLY, next year's DL 10K will be 9/5. Sept.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

All I have on the books so far is the Rebel Challenge.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    TECHNICALLY, next year's DL 10K will be 9/5. Sept.
    oh yeah, thanks. All I know is its some awful hot month where I don't want to run.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I'm afraid to even put anything here. I think I initially said that 2014 was going to be a quiet year with only the Tink 10k & half. Let's see, I added halfs in five states, two full marathons and a host of local 10 & 15Ks. Right now, the only thing officially on the 2015 calendar is the Austin Marathon. However, who knows where the year will lead.

2015 will be a big year!

Rebel Challenge in January.
    Dumbo in August.
    Definitely traveling outside the country in September if that rumor is true.
    Wine and Dine in November
    Avengers in November (if done again)
    **hoping to get the C2C and global medal

And who know what else I'll get sucked into!

"If you can dream it, you can do it."
    "You can't run from trouble, there ain't no place that far."

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Doing the WDW Half in January (couldn't let my local teammates go down without me now, could I?)

I just found out tonight at our workout that our 10K/15K coach will be running the Half/Full training program for spring, with a goal race of the Raleigh Rock 'n' Roll Half/Full, so that may be my "gateway" race to a full marathon (need to negotiate with the wife for that one).

I'll probably also try to get the OK to fly cross-country to earn a C2C at either the Disneyland Half or Avengers. We'll see how negotiations go.

I'm sure that there'll also be a mix of local races. I'll probably try to run the Mohawk Hudson River Marathon or Half Marathon next October (working the finish line all day this Sunday for this year's race), but nothing is set in concrete yet.

My plans so far for 2015 are:

Inaguaral Rebel challenge
    RnR SF
    Avengers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    So far:

February: Diva Temecula Half Marathon (how could I not, it's in my own backyard?)
    March:Currently nothing but considering San Diego Half Marathon Relay
    I added a race today. The Wicked Wine Run in Temecula. It's a trail 5k that I did this year, and despite their freshman year mistakes, I'm willing to give it another go. There was a great coupon code that made the race only $20. Not bad. The "medal" is a wine glass and some tasting tickets. This year they had food trucks at the winery so you could buy dinner and wine taste when you were done if you wanted. I did it with some of my MRTT Mommas.

Kaiser Women's Festival Half June 7
    Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare Sept
    Hoping to be able to do the WDW Wine & Dine.

It would be the first ever WDW trip for the family. I Really want the C2C.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    So far:

March:<snip> Wicked Wine Run 5k, Temecula
    I added the California 10/20 on February 15th. I need a long run for Diva that day anyhow. Why not hear 20 great bands and get some bling while I'm running along the coast (Del Mar, Solano Beach, Encinitas).

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, here's one if you're in the Philly area. The 0.0 Mile Instant Gratification Run. Seriously.

http://philly0dot0.com/

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Ok, I think my year is starting to shape up. I have the Austin Marathon on Feb 15, Marine Corps on Oct 27th and then, I am SO EXCITED about the North Olympic Discovery Marathon in Port Angeles, WA on June 6th. The NODM is billed as the best boutique run in North America. It's a local group who wants to really be amazing. You have your own personal volunteer who meets you at the finish line and then helps you with anything you need. They have the Y open if you want to shower afterwards, all the townspeople sponsor the aid stations and compete for the best one. They look like a true hoot--especially the one by the senior citizens home where they all wear costumes. They have a half as well.

Anyone want to join me? NODM looks amazing.

Jan: Rebel Challenge
    Feb: Surf City
    March: Georgia 1/2
    Sept: DL 1/2

So far....