Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Race Plans

I have to take some time off after RnR SF in March but I'm thinking I want to do The Giant Race 10K in August. I did it in 2012 and it was my very first 10K. I think I'd like to go back and try to PR.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkmom View Post
    I have to take some time off after RnR SF in March but I'm thinking I want to do The Giant Race 10K in August. I did it in 2012 and it was my very first 10K. I think I'd like to go back and try to PR.
    I like the Giants races, but I haven't done the 10k distance (I did their last two half marathons). I just found out (and will most likely register today) that my beloved Athletics have a 5k run in April. Starts on the field, goes somewhere, and then ends in the parking lot, and you get a ticket for that afternoon's A's game.

So that means my races for this year looked like this:
    January - Rebel Challenge
    April - A's 5k
    August - Giants Half
    November - Maybe Wine and Dine, maybe Avengers.... haven't thought that far ahead yet.

My scheduled is a bit light this year compared to last, but other things (like work) have taken up all my time/concentration. But, some exercise is better than none at all.
    - Spring MouseAdventures: Decades advanced: our goal? to finish. mission accomplished!
    - december 09 reindeer games: 26th place, & drenched all the way through!
    - spring 09 mouse adventure (train, trams, and monorails): advanced division, with a newbie! the dominoes and the jigsaw puzzle nearly killed us!
    - fall 08 mouse adventures: third place in the 101 division!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I was looking around for a race down near my mom's place while I'm down here this month. Conveniently found a half-marathon for yesterday (the New Balance Palm Springs Half Marathon) so I did an in-person registration on Friday for the race. Oh my goodness, there are some amazingly fast women runners here! Managed to finish in 1:53:30 and came in sixth in my age group (old geezer lady category).

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I was looking around for a race down near my mom's place while I'm down here this month. Conveniently found a half-marathon for yesterday (the New Balance Palm Springs Half Marathon) so I did an in-person registration on Friday for the race. Oh my goodness, there are some amazingly fast women runners here! Managed to finish in 1:53:30 and came in sixth in my age group (old geezer lady category).
    I'm going to do the relay with my running group next year. They all had a blast (and took 1st, 2nd & 3rd!).
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Did you get a look at 1-5th placers??
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll be at RnR SF as well. I have a horrible fear of heights and bridges so this is a 'I will conquer this sucker' event for me.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    I'll be at RnR SF as well. I have a horrible fear of heights and bridges so this is a 'I will conquer this sucker' event for me.
    Oh that is me too! Terrible fear of bridges and one of the reasons I signed up was so that I could overcome it. Or really because I didn't want to let my fear stop me!
    We can do this! Can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

I was considering doing RnR SF as my "training run" for Tink (the Galloway training plan has a 13 mile run that weekend...how convenient). So, this would technically be my first half marathon. But, after looking at the hill profile and the map, I have a great fear of the HILLS!

It also has a 3:30 time limit, and I'm not sure I'd make it. Did I mention the HILLS {shudder}. Anyone have any sweep experiences with RnR events? It looks like they might just redirect you or bring you up to the next sweep spot if you fall behind. I'd hate to be swept early and transported to the finish and miss all the fun!

Congrats! (You are also one of those amazingly fast women runners, ya know!)
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgood View Post
    I was considering doing RnR SF as my "training run" for Tink (the Galloway training plan has a 13 mile run that weekend...how convenient). So, this would technically be my first half marathon. But, after looking at the hill profile and the map, I have a great fear of the HILLS!

It also has a 3:30 time limit, and I'm not sure I'd make it. Did I mention the HILLS {shudder}. Anyone have any sweep experiences with RnR events? It looks like they might just redirect you or bring you up to the next sweep spot if you fall behind. I'd hate to be swept early and transported to the finish and miss all the fun!
    I don't have any experience w/ RnR but I did read on the website that they are offering a 6:15 start (official start is 6:30) for anyone who is worried about the 3:30 time limit. I'm actually thinking of using it because if i'm in the last corral Im worried it will take too long to start I wont have enough time to get to mile 4 (the bridge) by 7:50. (If you're not to the bridge by that time they divert you to another point on the course)

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I'm registered for the Pi Day 5K virtual run. I'm thinking after the race, I'll go to a favorite cafe and have pie after breakfast/lunch, depending on what time I do the run. Not sure if I'll be able to manage it at 9:26am.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

I signed up for the Long Beach half a couple days ago. I really enjoyed it last year. So my year looks like this:

January - Rebel Challenge (done!)
    March - Knott's Coaster Run (5k)
    May - Pixie Dust Challenge
    September - Dumbo Double Dare
    October - Long Beach half marathon

Registered for the 10K so heres my schedule

January - Rebel Challenge
    March - RnR SF Half
    August - Giant Race 10K

Then my maybe's are

Sept/October - RnR San Jose or Nike SF
    November - Avengers

Could end up being a pretty light year for me.

I don't have any experience w/ RnR but I did read on the website that they are offering a 6:15 start (official start is 6:30) for anyone who is worried about the 3:30 time limit. I'm actually thinking of using it because if i'm in the last corral Im worried it will take too long to start I wont have enough time to get to mile 4 (the bridge) by 7:50. (If you're not to the bridge by that time they divert you to another point on the course)
    That's so interesting; I wonder if they will limit the number of people who can start at 6:15, and how that will impact the elites (will they have to run around people or will part of the course be roped off for them).
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    That's so interesting; I wonder if they will limit the number of people who can start at 6:15, and how that will impact the elites (will they have to run around people or will part of the course be roped off for them).
    Our local track club (who's race is no where near the size of a RnR event) gives anyone a 1/2 hour early start on longer races (and mandatory for racewalkers). The Full I did had a 2 hour early start! (And they gave out small flashing lights to affix to ourselves, just to help with the visibility at 4:30am a wee bit!)
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    I'm sure they have some sort of "solution" but I'm also wondering if they even care too much about the hindrance on the elites? A couple of years ago they dramatically reduced the prizes for the top finishers. When they did that it also reduce the draw for the seriously competitive elites. A friend of mine placed 3rd female at RnR Vegas full in 2013 and I don't think her "prize" was that outstanding.
    Anywho, that totally got off topic, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJones View Post
    Longer Distance:
    January: WDW Half Marathon
    May: Chicago Spring Half Marathon
    August: Fort 2 Base 10 Nautical Miles
    Sept: DL Half Marathon (or a certain unannounced rumored oh dear I hope it's true race, in which case I'll also shoot for Avengers to get C2C)

Plus likely a ton of local 5ks and 10ks like every year

I think this is my final list....

January: WDW Half Marathon
    March: Shamrock Shuffle 8k
    May: Chicago Spring/Michelob Half Marathon
    August: Fort 2 Base 10 Nautical Miles
    Sept: DL Half Marathon
    Sept: Chicago Half Marathon (special medal for completing both May & Sept races)

I know there are 5ks thrown in there too (one in April for sure) but those are my big races for this year.

Looking to 2016.... Tinkerbell Half, Cedar Point Half (Run & Ride), Southernmost Half Marathon Key West, +/- something in the Atlanta area. Phew!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    I have issues.

January: Rebel Challenge and Star Wars 5k
    February: California 10/20. Diva Temecula Half Marathon (how could I not, it's in my own backyard?)
    March:Wicked Wine Run 5k (trail)
    April: Hopefully some beautiful runs through Tuscany (not races)
    May: Pixie Challenge and Neverland 5k and Mountains to Beach Half Marathon
    Sept: Disneyland 5k and 10k

I picked up a San Diego Half Marathon relay spot from one of the ladies in my running group. I even told her I'd run the "hard" leg (1 mile straight up Washington) if she wanted me to. The first half is super flat.
    Thanks to some influence here, I now have an October race.

Ragnar Trail Vail Lake!!
    Go team "Just Keep Running!"

I am now officially registered for the Kaiser Women's Festival Half Marathon in June, the Dumbo Double Dare in Sept, and the Wine and Dine in November!!!! Time to get serious about training!

Churros anyone??

Snakes, why did it have to be snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Thanks to some influence here, I now have an October race.

Ragnar Trail Vail Lake!!
    Go team "Just Keep Running!"
    Woohoo!

I'm filling in some shorter local races here and there.

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Goldhaber View Post
    OK, so family considerations have me dropping any distance training this spring, so Raleigh is out. However, I do have the OK to go for my Coast-to-Coast! Now we'll have to see whether I can get in for the Dumbo (might as well), otherwise I'll have to go for Avengers. Dumbo would work out well within my training if I decide to go for the Mohawk Hudson full.

I'm also going to try to get into the Boilermaker 15K in Utica. It's supposed to be an awesome race, and it'll be something to shoot for over the summer. Also doing the final Everest (or, as I'm now calling it, "The Last Expedition") in May. Still undecided whether I'm going to go for broke and shoot for Wine & Dine again this year or stay home and run the Stockade-athon 15K. We'll have to see what I can or can't get into.

Plus, of course, lots of shorter local races.
    After extensive family discussions, Wine & Dine will fall right in the middle of the last-minute "get the college applications in" frenzy here, so I'm going to skip it this year and plan on running the Stockade-athon. I'll probably run it again in 2016. Instead, I'm doing my first full marathon (Mohawk Hudson River Marathon) right here on rails-to-trails that I run all the time. I'm also doing the Disneyland 5K, 10K, and Half for Dumbo weekend to get my Coast-to-Coast. That's five weeks before the MHRM, so it'll make for a good training weekend.

Boilermaker registration opens (and probably closes) two weeks from Saturday, so we'll have to see about that.

So, so far:

March - Runnin' of the Green 4M (3/14), Delmar Dash 5M (3/29)
    April - Rabbit Ramble 4M (4/4)
    May - Expedition Everest Challenge (5/2), either Mastodon Challenge (5K/15K) or Fleet Feet Classic 10K (5/9), Bill Robinson Masters 10K or SPAC Rock 'n' Run 10K (5/16), CDPHP Workforce Team Challenge (3.5M) (5/21)
    July - Boilermaker 15K (7/12)
    September - Disneyland 5K/10K/Half (9/4-9/6)
    October - Hudson Mohawk River Marathon (10/11), Great Pumpkin Challenge (5K/10K) (10/17)
    November - Stockade-athon 15K (11/8)

Plus whatever may get posted between now and the end of the year.

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If anyone is interested in running the inaugural Nike Women's Toronto 15k, the random draw for registration just opened.

Gather your crew and join us, as thousands of women take over the City of Toronto
    for a three-day weekend of Nike Women experiences.

The Nike Women's 15K is the culminating event of this unforgettable weekend on
    June 14, 2015. Enter now and Come Run With Us. We'll be with you every step of
    the way on your journey to your fastest 15K.

You have until 11:59 PM EDT on Sunday, March 29, 2015 to enter the
    Random Draw.

Enter here.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

I would be signing up in a minute if I still lived in the northeast. Now I don't have enough time off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    I would be signing up in a minute if I still lived in the northeast. Now I don't have enough time off.
    I thought about it for a minute. Then I looked at my calendar and realized that my next "free" weekend is Father's Day Weekend. I decided against the lottery. Plus, I need to save my destination race budget for Paris.

I'm "running" in the Irvine Lake Mud Run this Saturday.

Also running in the Laguna Hills 10K (there's also 5K and half marathon) on Memorial day.

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013