Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Frozen attraction coming to Norway Pavilion, Replaces Maelstrom

TAKE MORE PICTURES!
    Quote Originally Posted by oregontraveler View Post
    I went straight to the source wikipedia The ride will be down until early 2016, which is probably April-May-ish.

Which leads to a more likely option of a somewhat decent overlay over the original ride footprint. Or the insanle-ly Blue Sky option of complete overhaul in only 16-17 months. I'm guessing it will better than what they come up with to incorporate the Gummi Bears on the old Motor Boat Cruise at DL in 1991.
    Gummi bears? Have a picture of this?
    DLR:I go all the time, MANY MANY times a year! About 2x a month right now

WDW: I was there in 72, maybe 82, but I was definitely there 2006 and 2007!!

Bring back ElecTRONica!!

2. # ADS

TAKE MORE PICTURES!
    Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    i heard that they are going to put in a loop
    LOL! The classic, will never die, for any major ride refurb
    DLR:I go all the time, MANY MANY times a year! About 2x a month right now

WDW: I was there in 72, maybe 82, but I was definitely there 2006 and 2007!!

Bring back ElecTRONica!!

If I really had to be honest, even though I went on Maelstrom every visit, the expectation was always better than the actual experience. It wasn't actually that great an attraction. I did like that it tried to represent a thumbnail sketch of what and who the country and the people of Norway are, and I think I'll miss the movie most of all. It was outdated, but it was a great little film, and I never missed it! Now, that being said, I still haven't seen Frozen, and unless it retains at least a portion of cultural reference to Norway, I'll be a bit disappointed. Hopefully it will be a good blend of culture and movie tie-in. Let's face it, EPCOT word showcase needs updating, and perhaps this is where it starts. Maybe a Marry Poppins attraction in the British Pavilion next?

1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

I LOVE Frozen, but am still so bummed that they've closed Maelstrom. I'll probably love the new ride too, but my boys so loved Maelstrom growing up I'm sentimental about it - and lots of other lost EPCOT attractions.
    I'm still missing World of Motion.

~Annie

My kids who love Frozen are in mourning. They really loved Malstrom

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

They should at least bring back Figment.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    They should at least bring back Figment.
    I'd jump on that bandwagon!
    At least make that pavilion something more than what it has become. Youtube vids from the past make me envious as to what it was.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    I'd jump on that bandwagon!
    At least make that pavilion something more than what it has become. Youtube vids from the past make me envious as to what it was.
    Yeah it was fun back in the day, just a huge disappointment now.
    Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Are we still talking about Norway? Cuz I don't remember that many changes, other than making the wonderful Akershus restaurant into a meet & greet.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Olaf deserves a ride!

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Are we still talking about Norway? Cuz I don't remember that many changes, other than making the wonderful Akershus restaurant into a meet & greet.
    Don't even joke about that, I love that restaurant!
    Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

I guess meet & greet isn't the right term - it's a character meal place now, and no longer interests me.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I guess meet & greet isn't the right term - it's a character meal place now, and no longer interests me.
    Oh yeah, I guess that's the only way to eat there now then? Have been several times but hadn't thought about that. I like the place and the food a lot though.

Maybe you will be able to shoot frozen rays at things in the ride like on Buzz Lightyear

Re: Akershus. My boyfriend and I used to love it and it was a must-do for us. We haven't been since they went all character meals.

John

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    Maybe you will be able to shoot frozen rays at things in the ride like on Buzz Lightyear
    Also it should incorporate some sort of 3-D element.

Norway is one of the pavilions that has space next to it.. what are the chances that they clean out those smaller outbuildings between the current Norway footprint and Mexico? and go big with the new Frozen attraction? Looks like there is enough room for an entire additional country.

Untitled.png

I hope the ride keeps the water portion, it's always fun to go down a waterfall.

Making it a little longer would be a plus too.

Quote Originally Posted by yedliw View Post
    Norway is one of the pavilions that has space next to it.. what are the chances that they clean out those smaller outbuildings between the current Norway footprint and Mexico? and go big with the new Frozen attraction? Looks like there is enough room for an entire additional country.

Untitled.png
    I'm going to guess since there are no cranes visible at this point, probably not (only a little over a year for the rumored opening, right?).

A new building would likely involve some significant hardware that would probably be visible by now.

The front of the building looks relatively the same, less the Maelstrom sign missing and the Doors closed and opening above the waterfall boarded up. If they were planning something truly drastic, I'm guessing there would be construction walls up so the front of the building could be worked on. (unless they have appeared since last week)
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I'm going to guess since there are no cranes visible at this point, probably not (only a little over a year for the rumored opening, right?).

A new building would likely involve some significant hardware that would probably be visible by now.
    Who know how long ago that Google Earth shot was taken.. but one can hope.. they certainly have the real estate to expand it if they wanted to..

Quote Originally Posted by yedliw View Post
    Who know how long ago that Google Earth shot was taken.. but one can hope.. they certainly have the real estate to expand it if they wanted to..
    Sorry, my comments weren't based on the Google Earth pic (I know they are not necessarily current), I didn't mean to imply that.

I was there Friday, 11/7, and I took some pics of the closed attraction (which I meant to imply by the comments about the missing sign, closed front doors and boarded up opening above the waterfall).

There were no visible cranes (nor construction walls blocking the front of the building) last week .
    -Dave