Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: pre-cruise lodging and transportation

pre-cruise lodging and transportation

We'll be arriving a day early for our cruise to the Bahamas and wonder what hotel would be convenient. Is there a hotel in or near the airport? If so, does that mean we could utilize the Disney transportation from the Orlando airport to the terminal? I guess the other option is to make transportation arrangements on our own and go to a hotel near the cruise terminal, but I'm thinking I could save money by utilizing the bus service provided by Disney and included with our package price.

We don't know the area at all so any advice is appreciated.

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

While only one option, I have stayed near the airport and then the next morning used DCL transfers to get to the port. It was easy especially since we were getting into MCO rather late.

I know others that have stayed at the airport hotel and have had very good experiences.

ETA: I also know that others have gone right to a hotel near the port and got a shuttle to the port the next morning. I will allow those who have done that to chime in.

Last edited by GusMan; 08-31-2014 at 02:24 PM.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

When we cruise, we prefer to stay on WDW property the night before. We have stayed at POR and POFQ and gone to Downtown Disney via the water taxi - it's great fun.
    Taking the transport from WDW gets you to the port later than from the airport, but we never have to wait. Our bags are taken from our room and delivered to our stateroom.

Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

I am in the same position as JJS. We are weighing the advantages of staying in Orlando pre-cruise and utilizing Disney transportation to Port Canaveral vs. finding transportation to Port Canaveral on our own and stay there the night before.

Can somebody confirm that Disney transportation to the Port is free if I stay at a resort hotel? (I'm pretty sure there is a fee to get back to Orlando, so if somebody can conform that for me as well.)

I know there are pros and cons of both, so if others could provides insights as well, I'd appreciate it. As I said in another thread, I am totally out of my element on this one...

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woody9six View Post
    Can somebody confirm that Disney transportation to the Port is free if I stay at a resort hotel? (I'm pretty sure there is a fee to get back to Orlando, so if somebody can conform that for me as well.)
    It is free to get to and from WDW and the airport. However, to and from the port (to either airport or WDW) there is a charge.
    Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

I have done both (stay at Hyatt in MCO using DCL transportation and staying near port with private transfers). I definitely preferred staying at the Hyatt.

With the Hyatt, they will come pick up your luggage right from your room and you won't see it until you get to the ship. The first bus to the port leaves a little after 9 (check in starts at 9 so as soon as the first one fills, you will be on your way). We were on the first bus and arrived at the port about 10:10 and were checked in and seated in the waiting area before they even opened the terminal to the people using other means of transport. This was so easy but costs $35 per person per direction ($70 round trip). So if your group is large, it can add up.

On another trip, we had a limo pick us up and we stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Port Canaveral. This was nice because the limo included a grocery stop and we were able to pick up some alcohol to take on board, etc. Then the next morning, we used the hotels shuttle to the port for a small fee. I don't think there was that much of a cost savings (but the limo was a splurge) but lugging around the bags from airport to car to hotel room to shuttle to port was a little draining. Also, you are at the mercy of the hotel shuttle availability as to what time you can get to the port. You can also call a cab and it would just be a short ride.

You can also stay at WDW and take the DCL buses from there. They pick up a bit later (start around 11:30 or 12:00, I believe) so that won't work if you are looking for an early port arrival. But staying at WDW definitely gets you in the mood more You can also arrange for private car service from WDW to the port if you want to get there earlier.

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."
    -Walt Disney
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by woody9six View Post
    I am in the same position as JJS. We are weighing the advantages of staying in Orlando pre-cruise and utilizing Disney transportation to Port Canaveral vs. finding transportation to Port Canaveral on our own and stay there the night before.

I know there are pros and cons of both, so if others could provides insights as well, I'd appreciate it. As I said in another thread, I am totally out of my element on this one...
    DCL transfer are $35 per person per direction ($70 round trip). That is for both WDW and the airport.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."
    -Walt Disney
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~