Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Question about drinking water

Question about drinking water

I have read over and over that people get cases of bottled water because Orlando's water doesn't taste good.

I am wondering about drinking water in the parks. If you order a cup of water at a counter service or table service location, do they give you tap water or filtered water?

DL ~ June 1981 ~ March 2000 ~ Oct/Nov 2001 ~ March 2006 ~ Oct/Nov 2007 ~ March 2009 ~ Sept 2010 ~ March 2011 ~ Sept 2011 ~ Sept 2012 ~ Sept 2013 ~ Sept 2015 ~ Aug/Sept 2016
    WDW ~ March 2005 ~ Sept 2009 ~ Aug//Sept 2014
    DVC MEMBER since March 2011
    Next trip: WDW August 20-Sept 4

2. # ADS

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some of the parks have decent tasting water and its fine to order a cup of water, one of them and I always forget which until I am there has the nastiest drinking water and is a definate bottled water park. I know that really didn't help you since I can't remember the bad one, but maybe someone else does.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the time of year also has an impact, and then how different it is from your home water will also impact how "bad' it is to you. They do make small water bottles with carbon filters that you can bring into the park with you to not have to bring water (which is HEAVY if you're the pack mule for a family of 4) and not have to worry about how bad the water tastes to you.

Cathy

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I will say that the cups of water that we get from the counter service places have been pretty good. (flavor-wise.) Most likely filtered. We did it quite often at meals and also saved tons of cash vs buying sodas.

And no, you dont have to buy anything in order to get a cup of ice water. Ive often asked for just a cup of water.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I've just sucked it up and gotten used to paying $2.50 for a bottle of water. I'll take the occasional sip from a fountain, and it always convinces me to buy another bottle!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

This may be because UK water is different to US water? Not sure about that, but I cannot drink fountain water at Disney, it makes me heave. I can deal with the free cups of iced water you can get for free if I'm REALLY thirsty but tend to suck it up and start every August day at the parks with 4 bottles in my back pack. I take three nearly frozen. It is heavy but I find hydration the key to a happy August WDW trip. And I have kidney problems so have to be careful.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

I have yet to have a bad cup of water at Disney, either at a quick service or a sit down place. Remember that a cup of ice water is always free; it's a nice way to save if you don't have to have coke or tea at every meal.

Our water here in Pittsburgh is great, so bad water would really stick out to me. Now if you ever go to DL, bring lots of bottled water, if only just for making coffee when back at the resort; their tap water there is horrible!

1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

I always do cups of ice water in DL. I'm not a huge pop drinker. The water has always been fine.

Last time we went to WDW we had free dining and I used the little water bottles from the kids meals.

Sounds like I won't mind the ice water and will want the case(s) of water when we are in our room?

DL ~ June 1981 ~ March 2000 ~ Oct/Nov 2001 ~ March 2006 ~ Oct/Nov 2007 ~ March 2009 ~ Sept 2010 ~ March 2011 ~ Sept 2011 ~ Sept 2012 ~ Sept 2013 ~ Sept 2015 ~ Aug/Sept 2016
    WDW ~ March 2005 ~ Sept 2009 ~ Aug//Sept 2014
    DVC MEMBER since March 2011
    Next trip: WDW August 20-Sept 4

Blog Entries

In the room, you can also get a 1.5 or 2 L of Dasani from the gift shop. Or that's when a small britta-type carbon filter is super handy. We use the carbon filters to run the water through before making coffee in the room.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by jsilkey View Post

Sounds like I won't mind the ice water and will want the case(s) of water when we are in our room?
    I'm not a water person (I'm perfectly content filling my thermos from room tap or fountains throughout the parks), so take this as second hand experience. My sister (who generally does the bottled water thing) commented that she noticed a difference in the water between the Polynesian and Animal Kingdom Lodge. (AKL water tasted better to her)

I have no idea if it's relevant, but it occurred to me that the AKL is a whole lot newer than the Polynesian, so it may depend based on the age of the resort (a lot more people were concerned about water quality in 1998 than in 1971), or other factors only the water processing engineers understand. This was early August, a few weeks ago.

Summary, your mileage may vary.
    -Dave

I always drink bottled water at DL or WDW but every trip I HAVE to have a sip at the water fountains at La Fontaine de Cendrillon. It's nasty but tradition!

John

Another option is to buy a filter bottle and use that. The Bobble is a good one. They are sold at Target as well as online. It will pay for itself in a short period of time, and you will prevent a lot of plastic waste.

Blog Entries

That's what we use in the room to make coffee. Really does make a difference!

Cathy

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I dont even mind the tap water from the resort rooms... even without a filter. As long as I can get some ice, Im usually good with it.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I always make an off-property stop somewhere, like a CVS, to get room munchies. The last few trips I've also picked up a gallon of drinking water. Much cheaper than the liter bottles of Dasani, and just about as good!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    I always drink bottled water at DL or WDW but every trip I HAVE to have a sip at the water fountains at La Fontaine de Cendrillon. It's nasty but tradition!
    Yeah, now the fountains are a different story because it is never really cold water, but just a shade cooler than warm water which is yucky no matter hoe good tasting it might be when ice cold.
    1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime