Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Halloween, when to go?

Halloween, when to go?

There are so many events planned during the fall nowadays that it makes it difficult to find a good weekend to go to Disneyland. I know that Saturdays are busy, but we have APs and will likely go back before Christmas. In the past we took a long weekend and went for a few days on opening weekend for Halloween, but DH just started a new job in Modesto and he cannot take time off until after Halloween, so we can only go for the one day. The plan is to leave after he gets off of work Friday evening. The drive is now an hour longer (than Las Vegas), so we’ll be getting to our hotel pretty late, but we should still be able to get up for opening as our kids won’t let us sleep in anyway. We’re not expecting to do “everything;” we want to enjoy the Halloween atmosphere including Haunted Mansion Holiday, Ghost Mountain, the villains, and pumpkins. DH loves finding new/different characters too. Which Saturday would you go to Disneyland for Halloween time if you were looking for the least crowded park?

September 13-Opening Weekend, Dapper Day is Friday
    September 20-Probably the best choice, but we can’t go this weekend 
    September 27-No special events, but the first party is on Friday and Touring Plans shows this Saturday as an 8 where as the previous two show as 4.
    October 4-Gay Days
    October 11-CHOC walk is Sunday the 12th
    October 18-UEA
    October 25-Weekend before Halloween, Mouse Adventure on Sunday

2. # ADS

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When we go, WDW or DLR we always make sure not to go on a Friday or a weekend.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfPlanet View Post
    When we go, WDW or DLR we always make sure not to go on a Friday or a weekend.
    Obviously, but she said it is not an option for her family at this time.
    If I was choosing, I would go either 9/13 or 10/11. I don't think CHOC makes the park too crowded as most of the participants are locals.

CHOC Walk requires some advance planning, though. People caught unaware complain loudly about the long lines to the gates and the altered hours. The Sunday can be pretty crowded because of walkers using the discount tickets, but maybe that would be a good day for DCA and do DL on the Saturday? Dapper Day weekend can be crowded, too, but if the OP checks the Dapper Day schedule, then she can avoid certain areas during peak times (e.g. Mark Twain group ride, carousel for photo, etc.). I would totally avoid the Gay Days and UEA Saturdays because of crowds. Good news is that the lower passes are blocked on all Saturdays in October, so that should help a bit.

Thanks for the thoughts. We would only go on the Saturday, not the Friday or Sunday. I don't know if Dapper Day on Friday and CHOC walk on Sunday impact the Saturday crowd. I would imagine they'd have some impact, especially since Dapper Days draws people from out of town. Gay Days and UEA weekend are definitely not in our plans. I KNOW those two weekends will be busy. I think I'm leaning towards the 13th of September (sooner is better anyway, right?) or October 11 as suggested by candles. Is it likely to be less busy before the parties officially start? Or is Dapper Day and opening weekend going to make that Saturday unbearable?

Don't know about unbearable, but last year the fall Dapper Days event was very well attended (and super hot, to boot!). So maybe 9/13 would be the better bet?

Dapper Day is 9/12 (our last park day) and the day Halloween starts. I'm thinking (and planning) that that day willl be super busy, not Christmas busy but busy. Our goals will be to ride HM a few times, and hit everyone's favorites. People do come from out of town for it and get multi day tickets.
    The CHOC Day ticket, I think, is only good that day. That Saturday will be blocked to lower passes, and most walkers are locals. There are some, like Team MP, who support from far away but most would be local.
    ETA: You might compare hotel rates for the 2, that would probably give a feel for what the hotels are bracing for.

I was looking at hotel rates last night. Even though October is a month further out, the prices are already higher. Also, looking at historical opening hours, it appears that the park will be open more hours in October. Another sign it will be busier. We have little kids, so we don't need late hours anyway. It's looking like we'll likely go opening weekend then.

We went a few years ago on the first weekend of Halloween activities. The Friday was nice while everyone was at work/school. So get your rides in on Space and HM early that day. I remember the Saturday being busy, like Saturdays are. Sure we'll have fun regardless.

Space is still open our first day, so planning many rides. Sounds like you have a good plan in place.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    ...The CHOC Day ticket, I think, is only good that day...
    The CHOC Walk ticket is good for 2-3 weeks, I think, but must be bought that day with a valid wristband. The mass of walkers descending on the ticket booths is what causes much of the congestion in the esplanade on the Walk day. Just some more info in case others are following this thread.