Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone doing Weight Watchers?

Anyone doing Weight Watchers?

Hi. I got really fat in the last decade. Have put 5 stone on in 10 years. So I've joined WW. End of week one I've lost 4lb so many more to go but it's a start. Is anyone else on the plan to keep me company?

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

2. # ADS

Weight Watchers is a great program. It helped me take off about 20 pounds several years back. I'm not currently an active user though. Are you doing the online program, or in-person meetings?

I'm doing both. I really need to turn the fat curve it's been a terrible decade with the weight sliding on half a stone a year. I wasn't always fat though so time to get me back! I read people who use the on line tools and also go to meetings lose 50% more weight so I'm doing them both. And walking. I have a poor fitness level so I'm staring with something realistic so I don't give up so easily.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

I don't do WW, my DH and oldest DD do use WW. I've absorbed much of it over the years.

Twenty one years ago DH put on 80 pounds when I was pregnant with DD, twenty years ago when DH didn't fit into his suit he started WW, he lost a hundred pounds and is now a lifetime member! He has kept that weight off all these years and still goes back to the basics every few years when/if the weight creeps back up.

DD uses it more as a "this is a good way to eat" so she doesn't get stuck in the college routine of all pasta, all junk food or take out all the time. It works for her, she did not gain any weight her freshman year and I think actually lost weight.

Good luck! Treat it as a lifestyle change not a diet.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Doc has been more successful than I have been, because he's more disciplined than I am. He's lost about 50 lbs over the past year or two. He has a little more to go- probably 20 lbs. He's lost 12 lbs since January.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

I lost 30 lbs a year ago. I gained about 20 back so I rejoined. But... I wasn't very committed that time. I felt like if I just didn't write it down, it never happened. I stayed within my points though, ha ha! I plan on starting again in Sept now that I'm running some and more dedicated. It's nuts right now with school starting again and I know I would cheat bad, so I will wait a bit.

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Currently on WW and have lost about 30 lbs. Still more to go. We have an incredible leader who I just can't brag about enough. Just love him

A good leader makes all the difference. My last leader was meh.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkPearlCptn View Post
    Currently on WW and have lost about 30 lbs. Still more to go. We have an incredible leader who I just can't brag about enough. Just love him
    That's great 30lb is outstanding. Can't wait until I can say that. My leader is pretty good. Very skinny so I just keep looking at the before 'huge' photo of her when she is talking and telling myself she clearly knows what's she taking about because she was enormous and is now tiny.

Oh no I got moved out of the lounge to the ber fit forum. No-one's going to be round enough to be doing WW here are they?!!!!!! Anyway. It's Friday night and I'm into the extra points. Friday nights are going to be tough.....

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Are you kidding? This isn't the super fit. This is everyone just in this thing together - and at WW you'll see lots of people in various stages of working out. It's part of the journey.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

I've been successful with WW before, so now that its time to lose weight again I'm considering joining and doing meetings this time. The only thing holding me back right now is the money. But that being said I think I'm going to go in next week. Theres a Tuesday meeting that I can get to on my lunch break.

I am on the heavy side, i do go to gym but its going slow, is WW that good?

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Duane, it really depends on what you're looking for. It's not a 'diet' but a lifestyle change. The main ideas I get from it (when I was active) was portion control and making smarter choices, and eating a variety of food. As nutrition guidance changes, so does the plan. When my Dad did it in the 70s, they were supposed to have liver at least once a week, and had a huge list of 'bad' food that you couldn't eat. When I did it in the 90s, you weren't supposed to eat liver more than 1 time a week (if that) and nothing was 'bad' but you had to have the room in your weekly allotment of extra calories. When they went to the first points plan, any food could be converted to points, so theoretically, you could just eat ice cream, but with a certain limitation on portion size. (And you'd be really hungry the rest of the day!)

Cathy

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by duanecroc View Post
    I am on the heavy side, i do go to gym but its going slow, is WW that good?
    The key to any program is going to be "user compliance."

What I like about WW is a few things:

It brings user awareness. Things I don't think about or I fool myself into forgetting.

The current WW, in my opinion, is the easiest to follow and most realistic program they've had since I first joined in 1990. (So why am I so fat? See "User Compliance." Which is also why my husband has lost so much weight.)

For example: Fruit is now a "free" food. That means, *if you are hungry* you can eat fruit and you don't have to count it against your daily point total. In the previous version, a banana counted as much as a cookie, so guess which one I chose??? When we were camping, I was making some tostadas with tortilla chips. It's hard to have fresh veggies when you're camping. I didn't have lettuce. But I brought a can of corn. Corn is also a "free" food. So I was able to load my tostada with corn and jicama chunks to make my food "go further". That was a much better choice than adding extra chips to my plate. (Corn hasn't always been a "free" food, either.)

And finally: Tools. I really appreciate the meetings. I need the accountability and I only weigh myself at meetings because it made me crazy weighing at home. I pay for a monthly pass because that gives me access to E-tools for free on my cell phone. Boy that makes it easier to track what you're eating or to check the points value of foods. Doc also did better with accountability to get the ball rolling and he really uses the free e-tools a lot, too. In fact, he's the one who tuned me into their value.

Your weight loss may still be "slow" - I don't know what you consider slow. But With User Compliance, it works well, IMO. A lot of men in our life have noticed my husband's weight loss and asked him for advice and he's told them all to go to WW and exercise.

I'm on WW. Had used it in the past and lost bout 30# but have gradually put it back on so started up again in July. Been working so far. I use online exclusively, don't go to meetings. I think it's totally workable, especially with the app they have now.

Week two weigh in for me. Lost 2.5lb this week so 6.5lb total. Still a long way to go but I am finding the on line tracking tool a bit like the food conscience I lost about 5 years ago. Week three here we go..... Have not started with exercise. I am just too fat to be seen exercising.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good job! (Even just 'Moving more' is good for exercise - go for a brisk walk in the park, for example.)

Cathy

I will not eat cheese and crackers. I will not eat cheese and crackers.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    I will not eat cheese and crackers. I will not eat cheese and crackers.
    How'd it go?

I've been having terrible cravings lately.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Weigh in tonight I've had an awful week we have been away for three days. Hotel food!!!!

Well as of monday I'm officially back on the program! Happy I made the commitment.

Scoobydooby - I hope your weigh in last night went good!

Disaster. Put last weeks back on

So you could have not taken it off first. You're better off than you would have been. As a friend of a friend said on Facebook today "It's a marathon, not a sprint, sista!" You're in training. And sometimes it's one step forward and two steps back.

Well I'm back in the game friends lost 5.5lb this week Total loss in 4 weeks 9lb. I'm about an eighth of the way to goal.