Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Club 33 renovation - share your thoughts

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Club 33 renovation - share your thoughts

I'm sharing my thoughts on the Club 33 renovation in this week's Park Update, and inviting readers to share their here. Have you been to Disneyland since the walls came down? What are your thoughts about the expansion of the Club?

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Love it.

You drank my weights?!? ~MDM

Blog Entries

I really like it. I think they did a great job incorporating the old with the new.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Big thumbs up! Everything's great except (my opinion) the remnant of the elevator....

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRac View Post
    Big thumbs up! Everything's great except (my opinion) the remnant of the elevator....
    I have to agree with that. Its a shame they couldn't have figured out how to maintain that entrance if you wanted to use it. I guess that would be just one more headache to staff/maintain though. Too many ways in/out and all that.

I haven't seen any candid shots of the main salon, but salon noveau looks astoundingly great. Can't wait to see it with my own eyes.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well, I don't have access inside - but my only pet peeve right now is the very large windows on the main hallway. At night they are so open and bright it really draws your attention to it. I don't care about the arguments of it being secret or not - but I have to agree that it does not "fit" the rest of the facades. Otherwise its fine with me.

I know that the comments of "it's great on the inside" draws the ire of many who care about the outside - but I can't comment since I don't have access.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I was lucky to be able to visit Club 33 last week. And, it is simply gorgeous. I am glad I was able to visit before, so I could compare the old to the new. I think they have done a wonderful job of incorporating parts of the old with the new. The paintings lining the hallway to the Grand Salon are beautiful and remind me of France. The addition of the new windows really adds to the overall feeling of the Club making it much brighter and having a more open feeling. I also think it is fantastic that the vulture not only survived, but now talks! I was startled when I walked by the vulture and he said something, wish I had caught what he said. The Salon Nouveau is a great addition in that it allows a relaxed place to visit before and after meals. There are many small details that are easy to miss, such as the old chandeliers which are near the old lift.
    I'm thankful I was able to visit, and that I had my camera with me to take photos! I hope I am able to visit again someday!

The only issue I have, and it's really minor, is the area I call the shooting gallery. The floor to ceiling windows off the Grand Salon. I feel very conspicuous when walking through there. I try to walk to the other side of the hallway but curiosity gets me some times (I want to see what's going on). It does make the area feel bigger/lighter but it also awkward to have people looking at you and there's really nowhere to go beyond out of the hallway.

And I also have an issue with people tromping in from The Salon Nouveau into The Grand Salon, not dressed properly, talking loudly, banging open the balcony doors, or just standing there. Not cool.
    (^It's not really a remodel issues but I guess it's probably something the club is working on.)

You drank my weights?!? ~MDM

I am shocked and saddened by the changes, which have effectively altered forever what was once the most well-themed and evocative land in any theme park. The poor design of the exteriors, coupled with the loss of such charming areas as the Court of Angels, coupled with the loss of history and mystery of the club itself, coupled with the mish-mash or thematic eras and details, have combined to ruin New Orleans Square for me.

Steve

The second edition of my book on the history of the Disneyland Railroad, Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! - The Complete History in Words and Pictures, is now available! You can read more about the book and place your order here: Amazon

Blog Entries

After seeing Davelandblog's before and after pic of the window above Cafe Orleans - I want the faux balconies back - but I realize this would block the view of the river with the new picture window (and a key selling point of the interior). I think the best way to describe this whole thing is its a lot of trade-offs and the insiders got better deals in some cases than outsiders. Money does talk I guess (and yes, I get it, its a business). I guess my question is does AVPs article want to focus on the interior, exterior, or both? because not everyone can get to the interior and I would suspect a majority of those who can will love the new space - but that's due to better service lines, new designs, new food, new, new,new... No one here is wrong (or will be wrong with more posts), just different views.

longer term - I worry about entertainment on the French Market stage. If there is a jazz performer in the club above (if indeed that's supposed to happen) and say the windows are open - that means there won't be performers on the French Market stage. Hmmm. It could happen.

Last edited by olegc; 07-29-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: one more
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    After seeing Davelandblog's before and after pic of the window above Cafe Orleans - I want the faux balconies back
    I think they will be adding. They have said it isn't done.

longer term - I worry about entertainment on the French Market stage. If there is a jazz performer in the club above (if indeed that's supposed to happen) and say the windows are open - that means there won't be performers on the French Market stage. Hmmm. It could happen.
    That would be a rare occurrence. It is mainly the player piano.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I think they will be adding. They have said it isn't done.

That would be a rare occurrence. It is mainly the player piano.
    thanks for the info...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    thanks for the info...
    I've heard they've added the window box to the window over Cafe Orleans. Shutters, balconies and props should be added in the next couple weeks.

Honestly, dont really think it matters. I mean come on..99% of us will never step a foot iniside. So its like asking, what do you think of the new Disney Exec office update.

But the plastic Stain glass is cheap and not very well thought out.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenOnEarth View Post
    Honestly, dont really think it matters. I mean come on..99% of us will never step a foot iniside. So its like asking, what do you think of the new Disney Exec office update.

But the plastic Stain glass is cheap and not very well thought out.
    I don't know percentages, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that more than 1% of the active members on this board are also Club 33 members or know a member who can/will make them a reservation. This is one of the best Disneyland focused websites (I know we have WDW forums here too). Many of the members (including myself) have admitted to being annual passholders. That's not surprising. It's a safe place on the internet to be a Disney geek without feeling insecure. I would wager that most Club 33 members are super fans (who can also afford the membership).

That's not to say that everyone is or have access to a member, but I don't think it's fair to say that 99% will never step foot inside and so it doesn't matter. Many of us will fortunately never set foot inside the first aid building but I still thought it was worth reporting that it has temporarily relocated.

Plus, the view from the outside of the building is visible to everyone - whether or not they know who/what is located inside.

It's really amazingly beautiful and opulent inside. I also don't think that the outside is so jarring, as a lot of criticism would have you believe, although I am also saddened that the COA is no longer open to the public.

The Salon Nouveau has so many fantastic nods to Imagineering and magical touches, like the paintings in the booths, the stained glass skylight and the magical piano. There are so many details to notice and the food was great too.

The Grand Salon is so much more light and cheerful, although I'm not thrilled about the wicker chairs.

Overall the whole place has a lot more lightness and detail. I loved it.

DLR AP; go as often as I can! · DL Paris 2002 · WDW 2007 & 2013 · Tokyo DL & Sea 2009 · DCL to Alaska 2014
    To Do: Hong Kong Disneyland, Shanghai Disney, see you in 2016!
    GROUNDHOG DAY: WDW and DLR in the same day: 2/2/13
    My Stay in the Disneyland Dream Suite

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I don't know percentages, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that more than 1% of the active members on this board are also Club 33 members or know a member who can/will make them a reservation.
    I would have to agree.

As for the stain glass doors, I think glass would have been impractical. Too easy to break, too expensive to repair.
    Last edited by Malcon10t; 07-30-2014 at 05:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinksand View Post
    The Grand Salon is so much more light and cheerful, although I'm not thrilled about the wicker chairs.
    I liked them initially, but after sitting in them a while, they weren't as comfy as initially thought.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenOnEarth View Post
    Honestly, dont really think it matters.
    I have seen you post words to that effect in many different threads. I am curious, why do you read and post in threads that don't matter to you? If I see a thread about something I have no interest in, I skip it and read another thread instead. But that's just how I roll and probably many other people have a different way of rolling than me, so it probably doesn't matter.
    "Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not yet share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress." -Gandhi

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    As for the stain glass doors, I think glass would have been impractical. Too easy to break, too expensive to repair.
    That was my thought. As lovely as real stained glass might have been, the chances of someone "accidentally" breaking one was high, especially given the strong feelings some have about the expansion.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Real stained glass is also very heavy, and has lead. Is the area low enough for potential licking by kids? (I am picturing the old honey around Pooh's meet and greet. )

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    That was my thought. As lovely as real stained glass might have been, the chances of someone "accidentally" breaking one was high, especially given the strong feelings some have about the expansion.

AVP
    I watched a couple little boys have a light saber fight there 2 weekends ago, and one fell into the door. He didn't have enough weight to have broken even a real stained glass door, but if he had, it could have been serious.

My parents have stained glass inserts in their doors. One piece broke years ago. It is too difficult to repair, so they just have a hole in it now....

Good point about the lead. I know some activists groups a while ago were dinging Disney because of lead exposures. (See link). I can't imagine Disney deliberately adding more in today's sue-happy environment.

I watched a couple little boys have a light saber fight there 2 weekends ago, and one fell into the door. He didn't have enough weight to have broken even a real stained glass door, but if he had, it could have been serious.
    Yes, in addition to AVP's point up above about emotions running high, I also think having real glass doors is just a liability issue.
    DLR AP; go as often as I can! · DL Paris 2002 · WDW 2007 & 2013 · Tokyo DL & Sea 2009 · DCL to Alaska 2014
    To Do: Hong Kong Disneyland, Shanghai Disney, see you in 2016!
    GROUNDHOG DAY: WDW and DLR in the same day: 2/2/13
    My Stay in the Disneyland Dream Suite

Club 33 was named after its address. But it is no longer at that address. Kinda funny and annoyed that this fact is invalid now.

Also not a fan of the new logo. It doesnt look classy and elegant anymore. It is kinda cartoony and doesn't fit the new Orleans theme was well.