Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Flag Retreat - can you sign someone up?

Flag Retreat - can you sign someone up?

Good morning all,

My father and I will be going out to Disney World later this year, and one of the topics I read about at Magic Kingdom was the Flag Retreat ceremony where they lower the flag each day and present it to a veteran in attendance. Since my father is a veteran (air force 20 years), I thought this would be a great surprise for him. So I was wondering, is this something you sign up for, or is it all completely random? I mean, in a very unfortunate sense just about anyone can show up claiming to be a veteran when they're not just for the sake of getting a free flag, so was wondering, is it like something you sign up for, can you call the WDW number to try scheduling it or something and provide information, or is it just they pick whoever happens to look like one?

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS

In 2010 at the suggestion of someone here that knew my DH had been in the USMC, I went to the town hall to find out how to nominate him for Veteran of the Day and to participate in the Flag Retreat. They told me that they pick from the people waiting to watch the retreat. I told to have him at the Flag pole at 4:30 the retreat was at 5:00. I was able to surprise my DH and have him honored. They do not let you keep the Flag. He carried it in a short parade. He was given a certificate and a special pin with a free 5x7 photo holding the flag. Our sons and I walked in the parade too at the back. This is the link to the digital scrapbook I posted with photos of the retreat. http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/show...ook&highlight=

WDW 2008 off-site, WDW 2010 Polynesian (Club), WDW Polynesian Dec 15-21 2011 (Club), WDW WL Nov 20-Nov 27 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    In 2010 at the suggestion of someone here that knew my DH had been in the USMC, I went to the town hall to find out how to nominate him for Veteran of the Day to participate in the Flag Retreat. They told me that they pick from the people waiting to watch the retreat. I told to have him at the Flag pole at 4:30 the retreat was at 5:00. I was able to surprise my DH and have him honored. They do not let you keep the Flag. He carried it in a short parade. He was given a certificate and a special pin with a free 5x7 photo holding the flag. Our sons and I walked in the parade too at the back. If you look at my past post you will see a thread where I posted a digital scrapbook. There are photos from the retreat there.
    Ok cool, thanks for the information. For some reason I thought I read they gave you a flag, but I guess I was mistaken. Still obviously the point is to honor the veteran in question.

So get him out there by 4:30pm and he could get picked, I'll make a note of that. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by xezat View Post
    Ok cool, thanks for the information. For some reason I thought I read they gave you a flag, but I guess I was mistaken. Still obviously the point is to honor the veteran in question.

So get him out there by 4:30pm and he could get picked, I'll make a note of that. Thanks again!
    You were fast on the response. I posted from my Kindle HDX and didn't know how to put in a link for the scrapbook, but if you look at my last post you will see I edited it to put in the link. Good luck I hope he gets picked. I don't know if they change the time for the Flag Retreat at different times of the year so I would check the time when you go.
    WDW 2008 off-site, WDW 2010 Polynesian (Club), WDW Polynesian Dec 15-21 2011 (Club), WDW WL Nov 20-Nov 27 2014

My cousin was wearing shorts and a teeshirt when he was picked. I also, think he was still active duty but over 20 years.

Hi everyone,

I know this is pretty much bumping an ancient topic, but I would like to share my experience regarding the flag ceremony when I went to WDW last September, as I realized I never had shared the rest of the story with everyone here.

On the day in question, my dad and I were both doing the railroad tour that morning, and while it was on break once the park had opened (after going back to see the train yard), I decided to give asking a shot and headed into the town hall and asked a rep about it, telling them how my dad had served for 20 years and that I would like to nominate him to for the flag retreat. Like Tater, I was politely told it was a random "first come first serve" process and to be around the flag pole at 4:30pm.

Well lo and behold, fortune smiled on me and they must have passed the info onto someone as the next thing I know after walking out, I was greeted by a rep asking for my dad to do the flag ceremony that day! I then spent a few anxious minutes trying to get a hold of him since he had wandered off (parents, go figure), but I finally got him and we got all the information to the rep and had a very happy flag retreat ceremony for him that late afternoon, even if it was trying to "rain" on his parade as the weather decided to start drizzling exactly as the parade was starting and stopped once it was over (lol). I know it was especially a great moment for him that he'll cherish forever, and to me it proves that Disney magic is still very well and alive inside the parks.

That's cool that you and your dad got to participate in the flag retreat. Thanks for coming back and letting us know about it.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So they told you to come back at 4:30 and it was 'first come first served' but then they stopped you leaving City Hall in the morning to do it?
    I'm really glad it worked out for you, but somebody (City Hall) isn't really telling the correct tale!

Cathy

No no, the rep came and got our info after I had left city hall in the morning and then we went back at 4:30pm to do the retreat, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Right. They got your info in the morning, after they told you inside that it was 'whoever showed up first at 4:30'. CLEARLY it wasn't whoever showed up first, since your Dad had already been selected.

Cathy