Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: More Mouse: Disney Stuff - Disneyland 50th Anniversary Board Games

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: Disney Stuff - Disneyland 50th Anniversary Board Games

Disney Stuff - Disneyland 50th Anniversary Board Games by Chris Barry

Chris Barry takes a look at a set of reissued Disney board games.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

I love the look of these games! So many board games now are overly complicated but these fit the original Disney way of being fun for all.
    I also completly agree with this "the thing I love most about the Adventureland game is that there are no Disney characters to be found anywhere in the package or in the game. That's the older school of thinking when it came to Disney merchandising. You didn't have to put Mickey on it for it to be Disney." Disney seem to be trying far to hard to incorporate characters in everywhere as that seems to be what draws guests in nowadays. However I like to get away from everything else and experience new things, while as you said characters have their place in fantasyland, I think that Adventureland & Frontierland don't need them.

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jon81uk View Post
    I love the look of these games! So many board games now are overly complicated but these fit the original Disney way of being fun for all.
    I also completly agree with this "the thing I love most about the Adventureland game is that there are no Disney characters to be found anywhere in the package or in the game. That's the older school of thinking when it came to Disney merchandising. You didn't have to put Mickey on it for it to be Disney." Disney seem to be trying far to hard to incorporate characters in everywhere as that seems to be what draws guests in nowadays. However I like to get away from everything else and experience new things, while as you said characters have their place in fantasyland, I think that Adventureland & Frontierland don't need them.
    Very true. Not that I don't love him, but if this game was made today Mickey would be on it somewhere in a safari hat, or driving the Jungle Cruise boats!

Man, those are OLD SCHOOL!!! Very cool, man.

It wasn't 2005, but about 5 years later I bought a game called the Magic Kingdom Board Game. I saw it walking out of a Burlington Coat Factory for just $12, and so I bought it at a bargain. It's a fun game where you get a card from 5 of the MKs lands. The object is to ride all of the attractions and exit the park first. The MK is a combination of WDW's MK and Disneyland stangely enough. There's not a month that goes by since 2010 that the kids aren't begging to play this game. The fun part is when someone leaves the park first, nobody else cries because "I get to be in the park longer". Funny how kids think. Here's a link to it so you can see it: http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-41489-D.../dp/B0001GDOZG.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty cool. Never owned any of the ones mentioned here. The only Disney game I ever had was the Zorro game.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGator View Post
    Man, those are OLD SCHOOL!!! Very cool, man.

It wasn't 2005, but about 5 years later I bought a game called the Magic Kingdom Board Game. I saw it walking out of a Burlington Coat Factory for just $12, and so I bought it at a bargain. It's a fun game where you get a card from 5 of the MKs lands. The object is to ride all of the attractions and exit the park first. The MK is a combination of WDW's MK and Disneyland stangely enough. There's not a month that goes by since 2010 that the kids aren't begging to play this game. The fun part is when someone leaves the park first, nobody else cries because "I get to be in the park longer". Funny how kids think. Here's a link to it so you can see it: http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-41489-D.../dp/B0001GDOZG.
    Yikes! And it's $70 on Amazon!! Cheaper on eBay...

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DwarfPlanet View Post
    Pretty cool. Never owned any of the ones mentioned here. The only Disney game I ever had was the Zorro game.
    Any photos of that one??

The Adventureland Game tracks the actual path of the river boats pretty well. My only complaint about the Monorail Game is that the train is going the wrong direction. Did the train originally run counter-clockwise?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Any photos of that one??
    It's still at my folks house 1400 +/- miles away. But I know exactly where it's at. This is the inside of the gameboard.

pic51220.jpg
    "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Blog Entries

Front of the box.

pic51218_t.jpg

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DwarfPlanet View Post
    Front of the box.

pic51218_t.jpg
    Classic! Thanks for tacking on the photos.

I don't have any Disneyland games, but I do have the Walt Disney World Haunted Mansion game. We played with that a lot as kids in the early 80s.

We have the Fantasyland game, bought in DCA at the Toy shop in 2007. We, also, have the Magic Kingdom game and LOVE it, found it at Toys R Us around the same time period, we play it all the time. Some of the attractions are WDW, some are DL, for instance Aladdin's flying carpets, but Sleeping Beauties' castle. I think it is cool they mixed them.

Disneygator, if there are only 3 of us playing we shuffle all the leftover attraction cards and deal them out (with 3 it comes out equal) to spend more time in the park. DH even acts ill if he gets the Mad Tea Party.