Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: NIGHT SAFARI or TRAIN TOUR in MK?

NIGHT SAFARI or TRAIN TOUR in MK?

Hey all y'all crazy MPers out there....

Thinking about the TRAIN TOUR as a possibility and wondered if anyone has done this?

Also thinking about the NIGHT SAFARI at AKL.....I am planning on staying at the resort there....is this the same tour as in the park during the day? If you did this would you skip doing the tour during the day? Also considering the ANIMAL TALK at Sanaa Restaurant.....would you do one OR the other AND not both?

Discuss:

2. # ADS

NIGHT SAFARI or TRAIN TOUR in MK?

I'm not sure about the train tour...I haven't heard of that before. Would love to know what it's about, though!

(ETA: Ooooooh, the Magic Behind Our Steam Trains! My mind was stuck in Animal Kingdom LOL -- we're signed up for this tour but haven't done it yet! My opinion is to buy the MBOST tour and just use the night vision goggles at the overlook )

At AKL, there is the Wanyama Safari, which is an evening tour with dinner at Jiko. The tour doesn't visit the park, it's held at the lodge's savannahs. There is also the Night Vision Safari, and that's at the lodge's savannahs, too. AKL also has night vision goggles out at the AKL overlook for anyone to use.

The tour offered that takes place in the park is the Sunrise Safari. This is a pretty awesome tour, but you need to Club Level/DVC to sign up.

If you were planning to spring for an Arusha Savannah view room, I'd look at the cost of Club Level, too...they usually aren't all that different. AKL's Club Level is great, one of the best disney offers. They have fantastic food offerings, including afternoon tea service, and we loved coming back for an afternoon break - we'd head up to lounge for a couple Casa or Tusker beers.

AKL is my one of my favourite resorts -- we'll be back on November 29 and can't wait. We won't be doing any AKL tours, though, since we've had plenty of the "real thing" over the past two years!

Blog Entries

My husband took the Train Tour and loved it. I have no idea what you actually "do," train stuff? You do get to stay after and talk to the engineers--he stayed over an hour. If you are a train person, this is apparently the best tour ever.

It's super early--before the trains start running. I sent him over in a taxi, since the buses weren't running. It was his first trip to the MK and it took him a few minutes to figure out where to go after he got dropped off.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Steam Trains tour is awesome, and I despise getting up early and say it was well worth it. Just the view up Main Street USA devoid of tourists is worth it!

Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    My husband took the Train Tour and loved it. I have no idea what you actually "do," train stuff? You do get to stay after and talk to the engineers--he stayed over an hour. If you are a train person, this is apparently the best tour ever.

It's super early--before the trains start running. I sent him over in a taxi, since the buses weren't running. It was his first trip to the MK and it took him a few minutes to figure out where to go after he got dropped off.
    We parked at Contemporary and walked over. You sent a newbie there unattended? For shame, woman!

But seriously, it is way cool to get there before the park opens, get picked up at the station on the first train and get to take pictures of the loco stopped right in front of the station, which is the only time that is possible. Ride around the park when it is empty. Go back to the Roundhouse, see it and the other trains, they show you how they fire up the cold diesel boilers in the morning and how they operate, history of the narrow-gauge locos, etc. Walk all around and take your picture in the loco. And you get a unique and cool pin only available on that tour.
    Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20

Ok, this train tour is sounding AMAZING!!! Main St. USA is my favorite land in Disneyland and probably my favorite in DW too so to see it empty and to ride around the park alone~>!?!?!??! I am so down with this! I love MP and all you great posters....keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by MadasaHatter View Post
    Ok, this train tour is sounding AMAZING!!! Main St. USA is my favorite land in Disneyland and probably my favorite in DW too so to see it empty and to ride around the park alone~>!?!?!??! I am so down with this! I love MP and all you great posters....keep them coming!
    Maybe you should take me with you as a tour guide.

If you are not a DVC member but renting through an exchange (like Dave's???) can you do the Sunrise Safari?

Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    Steam Trains tour is awesome, and I despise getting up early and say it was well worth it. Just the view up Main Street USA devoid of tourists is worth it!
    I concur...it sucked having to be there at like 630am, but the Magic Behind the Steam Trains tour was awesome! The night safari sounds alright, but I don't know about the cost and having to leave a park early to be there and staying out late...perhaps.
    Joey

Hi Mad!
    My hubby is a Lionel train nut. I surprised him with The Magic Behind the Steam Train tour for our 17th anniversary, he loved it and I actually enjoyed it too. As another post mentioned you get yourself to MK early- they will give you meeting location when you book (we met at the big planter in the center). Your tour officially starts with a mini tour of the station, info on the art and antiques, and that million dollar view of an empty Main Street. You will board the train to be taken to the roundhouse, there you will get to view and climb into an actual steam train. It's amazing that these things are still running. It's not like they can run out to Pep Boys for parts when they need replacing! Depending on your tour guide, you will probably get more than a few good stories. Our tour ended back at Main Street station, where our guide told us a few more stories. The one I remember giving me the best laugh was one he told about a fellow tour guide. It seems this man had the occasion to meet some of the Disney executives, Meg Crofton in particular. She noticed his pin, he told her she had to take his tour to get the pin, because "they don't just hand these out". So she did, and got her pin. I love behind the scenes stories, it makes it more about people then a major corporation. The tour is accessible to folks in wheelchairs, one young man on our tour. There at the roundhouse they had a lift to bring the chair and a guest up to the level of the cab so they could see inside. So it's really for anybody and everybody. I would do it again, because each tour is a little different depending on the guide.
    I can't say about the AK tours other than I would dearly love to go on one. I have a suspicion no matter which you choose you will glad you chose it.

TulaBelle
    Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever.

Quote Originally Posted by josephbandrews View Post
    I concur...it sucked having to be there at like 630am, but the Magic Behind the Steam Trains tour was awesome! The night safari sounds alright, but I don't know about the cost and having to leave a park early to be there and staying out late...perhaps.
    I'll add a vote that the MBOST tour is good, and I say that even though the one I was on didn't conclude as planned due to equipment problems (I would consider doing it again). The cast members/train crew did adapt and probably gave us a bunch more stories relating to history of the park Trains (DL and WDW) and Walt's love of trains while we were waiting for them to try to fix the issues.

As to cost difference, the standard Night Safari offered to AKL guests is I believe right around $70, probably not too much more than the MBOST.
    -Dave

Does the TRAIN TOUR end after the park has already opened or are you there for Magic Morning????? Park Opening????? I suppose it depends on the season but even general answers are appreciated....

Quote Originally Posted by MadasaHatter View Post
    Does the TRAIN TOUR end after the park has already opened or are you there for Magic Morning????? Park Opening????? I suppose it depends on the season but even general answers are appreciated....
    It ends after the park has opened. I want to say it ended around 1000 with a discussion back inside the Main Street USA train station and passing out the special pins.
    Joey

Quote Originally Posted by josephbandrews View Post
    It ends after the park has opened. I want to say it ended around 1000 with a discussion back inside the Main Street USA train station and passing out the special pins.
    That's my recollection as well, but I thought maybe it was supposed to be 10:30. I might just be basing that on the Website claiming it's a 3 hour tour and it starts around 0730 when you start at the entrance.

It definitely is long enough that you will not take any advantage of any Extra Magic Hours, there will be people in the park from normal opening when you are done.
    -Dave

Professional Lurker

Not knowing the dates of your trip, keep in mind the Steam Train tour will not be offered while the railroad is down for maintenance from Sept. 28th through Nov. 8th.

I'm thinking my trip will be next year for my 50th and I am avidly watching the discounts and closures throughout the year to try and get an idea on what to do and how much it will cost. Thanks for the tip Mistyj because that is the kind of info I am compiling. I really wanted to take advantage of MM for MK so I am still up in the air about this tour. I'm also looking into doing maybe the IMAGINEERS DINNER.....that could be really cool too.....sigh....so many choices.....I'm going quite MAD!

Early entry really works well in the MK, so I'd make that happen if at all possible!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Mistyj View Post
    Not knowing the dates of your trip, keep in mind the Steam Train tour will not be offered while the railroad is down for maintenance from Sept. 28th through Nov. 8th.
    Good to know. I was not aware of this closure.
    Disneyland ~ Forever Close To My Heart ~

Yeah, it is sandwiched right in between our two scheduled trips. I hope there are no issues that delay its re-opening, especially since the nieces will be with us.