Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Captain EO .... anyone know what is going on?

TAKE MORE PICTURES!

Captain EO .... anyone know what is going on?

Just an anual refurb?

DLR:I go all the time, MANY MANY times a year! About 2x a month right now

WDW: I was there in 72, maybe 82, but I was definitely there 2006 and 2007!!

Bring back ElecTRONica!!

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

they are playing a preview segment of Guardians of the Galaxy instead starting July 3rd (or is it 8th). I think its been in the Mouseplanet update.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Some CMs are saying it is gone for good, others are saying it's only a temporary closure. So no one knows for sure what it's future is.

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

I agree with BlkpearlCapt, that in reality it's up in the air. But the "official" word is that it's coming back.

From the studio that brought you “The Avengers” comes a new team. They call themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy, and they’re the crew at the epicenter of one of this summer’s biggest movie events. Starting July 4, “Guardians of the Galaxy” is coming to Disney Parks with an exclusive sneak peek, offering guests an extended look at the film before it opens in theaters.

At Disneyland park in California, you can catch this limited time intergalactic preview in 3D with special in-theater effects at the Magic Eye Theater in Tomorrowland, where Captain EO is typically shown. Captain EO is expected to return at a later date.
    http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-parks-july-4/
    "The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

Hopefully they do away with this relic of an attraction...I mean come on, I remember the movie when I was 17yrs old. Time to turn the page DL and lets start getting Tomorrow Land up to par with the 21st century.
    I wish the DL execs would get their heads out of there [removed] and see what Universal is doing with their Theme Parks. Plus I would look into hiring a new Project planning and construction crew to get these refurbs knocked out with a decent time frrame. Case in point...
    Little Mermaid...it takes the Imageneers freakin 6-8 weeks to add some plastic fish and paint?? And the Paradise Pier refurb and update. That wood rot has been there for probably over a year now.

Last edited by stan4d_steph; 06-24-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Do not use asterisks to mask prohibited words.

They can't find their way back since Hooter ate the map.

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
    They can't find their way back since Hooter ate the map.
    LOL

My kids' Captain EO Review: "Well, that was weird."

I do agree that TomorrowLand should be about..well.. stuff from the future. At least Captain EO in theory is happening in the future. Actually, by that logic Star Wars is misplaced as well as it happened a long time ago!

I was happy when Captain EO was brought back somewhat shortly after Mr. Jackson died - although I thought it was a bit crass and commercial to do so - it was a lot better than the Honey I shrunk the audience's brain that it replaced. BUT, now that we are at the 5 year anniversary of his death, there are once again little/no lines to see that attraction, it seems that almost any use of the theater space is better than what is currently there.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie2009 View Post
    LOL

I do agree that TomorrowLand should be about..well.. stuff from the future. At least Captain EO in theory is happening in the future. Actually, by that logic Star Wars is misplaced as well as it happened a long time ago!
    My kids would watch it and laugh hysterically (as teens).
    Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I was happy when Captain EO was brought back somewhat shortly after Mr. Jackson died - although I thought it was a bit crass and commercial to do so - it was a lot better than the Honey I shrunk the audience's brain that it replaced. BUT, now that we are at the 5 year anniversary of his death, there are once again little/no lines to see that attraction, it seems that almost any use of the theater space is better than what is currently there.
    If they just showed Disney movies they would have a better attendance rate...Folks could wait for the SM and ST fastpasses while watching the show. I don't know, it just seems like they need more tomorrow in tomorrowland and less yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenOnEarth View Post
    Hopefully they do away with this relic of an attraction...I mean come on, I remember the movie when I was 17yrs old. Time to turn the page DL and lets start getting Tomorrow Land up to par with the 21st century.
    I wish the DL execs would get their heads out of there [removed] and see what Universal is doing with their Theme Parks. Plus I would look into hiring a new Project planning and construction crew to get these refurbs knocked out with a decent time frrame. Case in point...
    Little Mermaid...it takes the Imageneers freakin 6-8 weeks to add some plastic fish and paint?? And the Paradise Pier refurb and update. That wood rot has been there for probably over a year now.
    I completely agree. Captain EO is now the Clark Bar at the bottom of the swimming pool ...

Headless Chicken

As much as I love Captain EO, I do agree it's time to put it to rest now. But, a DVD/Blu-Ray release would be awesome, complete with behind-the-scenes extra features, etc. I would buy it in a heartbeat and watch it often, because it lifts my spirits.

Perhaps the space would be ideal to put in a teaser trailer for Star Wars VII. It would totally absorb the crowds.

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    Perhaps the space would be ideal to put in a teaser trailer for Star Wars VII. It would totally absorb the crowds.
    Now appearing in the Magic Eye theater... a sneak preview of Star Wars Episode VII: Break A Leg

Quote Originally Posted by oregontraveler View Post
    Now appearing in the Magic Eye theater... a sneak preview of Star Wars Episode VII: Break A Leg
    Gramiangel420

Headless Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by oregontraveler View Post
    It's quite the trip!
    First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar
    It's quite the trip!
    Coming this fall.

As much as I love Captain EO, I do agree it's time to put it to rest now. But, a DVD/Blu-Ray release would be awesome, complete with behind-the-scenes extra features, etc. I would buy it in a heartbeat and watch it often, because it lifts my spirits.

I like this idea! I love Captain EO, and so do my nieces. I would miss it, but I do agree that the space could probably be put to better use. But I'd love a DVD with bonus features and all because I do enjoy the 80s cheesiness, the music and the dancing.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie2009 View Post
    DW and I agree, we finally seen it during a trip a year or so ago, when it was over we looked at each other and started out laughing so hard because it was so awful. Hopefully they will actually do something new that will last a few years.
    "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Awful?? Hahaha that was cutting edge technology.......20+ years ago!! LOL!! I agree time for something new!

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

I'm going to really miss Captain EO... I am so addicted to it. It is a must see (more than once) everytime i go there. Funny, cheesy, camp, and Michael at his best. Glad it was here again and understand if it is time for it to go. BTW, last year at the Disneyland Halloween Party there was an incredible costumer there as Captain EO. The light up costume was incredible, and absolutely perfect in every detail. and he looked so much like Michael that everyone was doing a double take. It was so fun to see him in the park.

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

I was there for the first AP screening Thursday evening. My friends and I got there about half an hour before the screening and we were relieved there wasn't any huge line. In fact when we got there, it seemed like they had just started letting park guests into the queue. A CM scanned our APs before we reached the turnstile to receive our 3D glasses and little freebie (see below). We ended up getting great seats in the middle of the theatre. And after seeing the first show, we were so thrilled with what we'd seen, we jumped back in line to see if they'd let us in again. The only hiccup we encountered is they had to pull out a second scanner to scan our APs because they couldn't with their first one.

Here are pix i took that evening. I never bother to wonder what the freebies that I got were. Later I read online they're phone screen cleaners. Dunno if that's true, but I finally opened one up and it feels like that's what it could be.

"The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

We saw the preview yesterday. I normally don't see the extended previews at the resort when they have them because I generally don't want to see that much of a film without actually seeing the film but given that even the trailers I've seen of this film have puzzled me, I decided to go when our group went. And I still don't get it, really. I expect to see the film when it comes out.

I really dislike that they kept the rocking motion of the seats. I hated when they added that to Eo and didn't really need that for this film preview. I was surprised at the giant sign for the film preview outside, for a film that's coming out in a month, but someone mentioned the Maleficent preview screenings at DCA, and I never went by that area so never saw what they did for that. We did laugh because while all the other signage had changed, there's one sign right at the podium where you enter and get your glasses that still refers to Captain Eo.

Re: the freebie, we all assumed it was a magnet. Huh.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

We saw the trailer yesterday, and really enjoyed it! It looks like it's going to be a fun film. (A couple elements struck me as Indiana Jones meets Han Solo.) Although I'd read about the seat motion here, it still surprised me when it happened. I didn't mind it, though.

Only negative -- when the lights went out, the theater was pitch-black for a few seconds, except for one idiot two rows in front of us who kept using his cell phone for at least the first five minutes of the trailer. He kept opening and closing windows, making it look like he was just checking out stuff on the Internet. In the darkness of the theater, it was terribly distracting -- like a flashlight in the face. He finally put it away, only to pull it out again about five minutes before the trailer ended. On our way out, I suggested to a cast member that they add a request in their intro that guests not use their cell phones. I can't believe people have to be reminded of that. Grrrr.

To all who come to this happy place...quit stepping on the back of my shoes!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sometimes when that happens (random browser use on a phone) I always get the feeling the user is intentionally doing this to somehow feel like they are in control over the rest of the theater. I know its weird but..... A recent public service announcement in a Regal theater about people just instinctively grabbing their phones was highly enlightening..

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I can't remember the Regal ad specifically, there are a couple, mainly films interrupter. I was surprised that the Century (rarely go here, but once in a while) has an app, that you earn concession points for silencing your phone.

I am excited for the film, I doubt the preview will still be there when we go though.