Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: The Miller Fam’s Three Musketeers Trip – January 21-26,2014 – The Desert Inn & Suites

The Miller Fam’s Three Musketeers Trip – January 21-26,2014 – The Desert Inn & Suites

The Miller Fams Three Musketeers Trip January 21-26, 2014 The Desert Inn and Suites
    Travel Method: Car & Plane
    Resort: Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites (across the street from the Disneyland entrance)
    Accommodations: deluxe room
    Tickets: 4 Day Park Hoppers

Cast of Characters: The Three Musketeers
    The Miller Fam Rusty, Sue, and Me (Roseburg, OR)

Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group:
    Me 14 trips to Disneyland & 1 trip to Walt Disney World
    Rusty & Sue 18?? & 1 trip to Walt Disney World

Pre-trip Planning:

Due to some things happening at my dads work, my parents vacation plans for the year were altered. We ended up planning this trip in October, and it had to be a short one this time (4 days is short to us). We ordered water, bananas, and other snacks from Vons to be delivered to our hotel. We booked our usual hotel, the Desert Inn. We booked an executive shuttle through Super Shuttle to/from the hotel/aiport. We flew Jet Blue from Portland to Long Beach.

Scheduled closures: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad *still*, Grizzly River Run, Splash Mountain

Trip Report

Day 1: Tuesday, January 21st

Plan: work and drive up to Super 8 in Portland

What Actually Happened:

I worked all day and then Rusty and Sue picked me up to head to Portland. We stopped in Springfield to have Five Guys for dinner. We turned in pretty early since we would be getting up early to drive to the airport.

Day 2: Wednesday, January 22nd

Park Hours: DL 10-8

Plan: fly down and spend the day in DL

What Actually Happened:

Our flight was uneventful, which is good for me. JetBlue doesnt charge for the first checked bag (one for each passenger), they have free in-flight direct tv, and free snacks. Rusty had chips, Sue had cookies, and I had animal crackers.

We made it to our hotel, checked in, and had them store our luggage while we went over to the park. It was around 10:30 so our room wasnt ready yet. We also had to use a locker for smaller items such as my backpack that I didnt want to carry into the park.

Since the park had already opened we walked over and almost walked into the park. We had our printed ticket vouchers so they took our pictures and printed tickets for us. We went straight to Star Tours and the wait time was 20 minutes. Then we got fastpasses for Space Mountain and rode it once with a 10 minute wait.

This was our first trip with enforced fastpass return times and it kind of cramped our style a bit. We ended up not using fastpasses sometimes because we didnt make it back to that area within the time frame.

After our first two rides it was time for lunch. I went to the bakery and had the grilled cheese and soup meal and practically perfect punch, Sue had a corn dog from the Little Red Wagon, and Rusty had a chicken burrito Sonora from Rancho del Zocalo. After we were done eating and people watching Sue and I used the fastpasses for Space. We met Rusty at the entrance to Buzz Lightyears Astro Blasters.

Next Sue and I rode the Matterhorn on the left side. This ride is just kind of painful, the seats really need more cushion. We then went over to see the Fantasy Faire for the first time. We were a little disappointed actually, its a lot smaller than we expected. I was also hoping to see the princesses, but they were inside a building for meet and greets (I thought they were supposed to roam about more now).

It was almost time for the Tangled play inside the Royal Theatre so we got a snack while we waited. Sue and I got Mickey Premium ice cream bars and Rusty got a Mickey ice cream sandwich. The Tangled play was a kind of re-telling of the story and it was pretty cute and funny.

After the play we walked to Adventureland and went on Indiana Jones (10 minute wait), the Jungle Cruise (20 minute wait), and Pirates of the Caribbean (walk on). This trip turned out to be a snacking trip. After three more rides it was time for beignets! Sue and I shared them and Rusty had popcorn. The beignets were sooooo tasty! Sue and I then went on Winnie the Pooh. We all walked around Pooh Corner and then had our pictures taken with Tigger, Eeyore, and Pooh.

After our time in Critter Country we walked back over to the hotel to move our stuff into our room. Our groceries had arrived as well. We changed our shoes and then walked back over to Disneyland. We had dinner at the Golden Horseshoe. We shared chicken tenders, fish and chips, mozzarella sticks, and fries. Yum. We decided to go ahead and get a bench for the parade and ended up across the street from the art museum and Abe Lincoln show.

Before we went back to the hotel I did some window shopping. On our way to the hotel Sue and I stopped at Cold Stone for one last snack of the day. It was a fairly short Disney day but we had gotten up early for our flight, so we were pretty tired and went to bed early.

Best Moments of the Day: beignets, first ride on Space Mountain, and the parade

Day 3: Thursday, January 23th

Park Hours: DL & CA 10-8

Plan: magic morning at DL and CA for opening to get Radiator Springs Racers (RSR) fastpasses

What Actually Happened:

All three of us went over for magic morning. We went on Peter Pan, the Tea Cups, Dumbo, and the Carousel (Rusty only went on Peter Pan). We wanted to go on Alice in Wonderland but it was down. Since we had accomplished everything we wanted to do in Fantastyland, we went out to the bakery for cinnamon rolls and coffee. Rusty went over to Starbucks and had a sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich. He also got coffee from Starbucks instead of the bakery (traitor!).

After breakfast we went over to CA. I got us fastpasses for RSR and WoC while Rusty and Sue headed out to the Pier. We met at California Screamin and got fastpasses and rode it once. We waited a little longer to ride in the front. We then went on Toy Story Mania twice. Rusty and I really like that ride. We were then able to use our fastpasses for Screamin.

We walked down the Pier and did some shopping and then went on Goofys Sky School and the Little Mermaid Ariels Undersea Adventure. We then went into Cars Land and went on Maters Jamboree. I got pretzel bites and an apple freeze from the Cozy Cones. Then we used our RSR fastpasses. Next we walked over to Tower of Terror and rode it once (13 minute wait). We decided it was lunch time so we walked back to Cars Land to eat at Flos Diner. Sue and I shared the pork loin dinner and Rusty had the turkey dinner. Both were good. Sue and I also shared a pear, cherry, and cream cheese pie for dessert.

After lunch we went over to ride Soarin. It was only a 10 minute wait and our fastpasses were actually useless. We did some shopping and Rusty got caramel corn (delicious). We took a rest and sat inside the Fiddler, Fife, and Practical Caf. We were trying to decide if we wanted to go back to the hotel or not. We ended up going back for a little bit but Rusty ended up staying at the hotel for the rest of the night.

Sue and I went back over to CA after our rest and went on Tower of Terror (13 minute wait) and Screamin (front row again). For dinner we shared a corn dog from the Corn Dog Castle and then shared a Ghirardelli espresso chip ice cream sundae with brownie and hot fudge. We then went to our blue section for World of Color and ended our night with the most magical show 

Best Moments of the Day: California Screamin in the front and great scores on Toy Story Mania

Day 4: Friday, January 25th

Plan: start day at CA and get fastpasses for RSR again

What Actually Happened:

We got our fastpasses for RSR first thing and then headed out to the Pier. We got fastpasses for Screamin and rode it once. We then went on Toy Story Mania (Rusty and I went twice). Next we used our RSR fastpasses and then Sue and I went on Tower.

Next we crossed over to Disneyland for lunch at Plaza Inn (yummy, yummy! A favorite of ours). After lunch we watched the Mickey and the Magical Map show. This was our first time seeing it and we really enjoyed it. I liked that there was (slightly) stadium seating available. Then we watched Captain EO. I know its cheesy, but I love this show. The theatre assistant was pretty funny too.

After bouncing along to the music in Captain EO, we grabbed fastpasses for Star Tours and went to the bakery for cinnamon rolls and coffee. We just cant seem to go a day without! Rusty also got a skewer from Bengal BBQ. Next we went to Critter Country and went on the Winnie the Pooh ride and the Haunted Mansion before getting on the train in New Orleans Square. We disembarked from the train in Tomorrowland and used our fastpasses for Star Tours. We got the back row and I think I get a little queasy the further back I am on.

We headed down Main Street and did a little shopping before we went back to the hotel for our rest. We stayed for a little while and then went back into the parks. Rusty went to Taste Pilots Grill to get dinner while Sue and I found a table at the bakery so that we could watch the Fireworks. I think Sue and I ate dinner at the bakery but my notes dont mention it, and I cant remember it clearly. I would think we would have eaten a grilled cheese sandwhich..Anyway, we ended up getting a pretty good view for the fireworks which were, as always, wonderful.

After the fireworks I got a smoothie from starbucks (shame on me) and we got fastpasses for Star Tours again. We went to ride the Matterhorn but it was down. We sat on a bench for a while just to people watch. We ended up having one of those only hilarious to us moments on the bench behind the Matterhorn. We were talking about the commercial ship my pants and Sue ended up spewing water over me and herself and we were dying of laughter while everyone else probably thought we were a little crazy.

After that little episode we used our fastpasses for Star Tours and then Sue and I went on the Tea Cups and Alice. I love going on the Tea Cups after dark. We then called it a night and went back to the hotel.

Best Moments of the Day: The new Mickey and the Magical Map show, the ship my pants episode, and fireworks

Day 5: Saturday, January 26th

Plan: breakfast in the park, hit our favorites again

What Actually Happened:

We started in Disneyland and went straight to Space Mountain. Sue and I rode it twice and then got fastpasses for Star Tours. We then ate breakfast at Riverbelle Terrace. I had the pancake breakfast and it was absolutely delicious. Im not sure if my taste buds changed or what, but since this trip I crave pancakes a lot, when they used to be my least favorite breakfast food. It must be the nostalgia factor.

After breakfast we used our fastpasses at Star Tours and then traveled back down Main Street courtesy of the horse drawn carriage. There is something simplistically magical about the horse drawn carriage.

We then crossed over to California Adventure and went on Tower of Terror, Screamin, and the Little Mermaid. Tower had a posted wait of 20 mins while Screamins wait was only 15, which is very atypical. The Little Mermaid ride had a little bit of a line, which is also unusual. I love the ride so I was happy for it, it was just kind of odd.

Rusty got some caramel corn and we found a bench to enjoy our snack. There is a cart in CA that has caramel corn that is a cross between regular butter popcorn and caramel corn and its delicious. We sat under the bridge in CA for a while just taking everything in, and Rusty and Sue surprised me by informing me that we had lunch reservations at the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. I was pretty excited.

After our snack we crossed back over to Disneyland and walked around the construction walls at Big Thunder. We found a few holes and spaces in the boards big enough that we could see a little bit of what was going on inside. They were actually running a train a couple times.

We ate our lunch at the BBQ and it was tasty as always. MMMMMM. I can taste it now. After lunch, we slowly crossed back over to California Adventure to share another Ghirardelli ice cream sundae. I honestly am not sure how we had room after the BBQ. While Sue and I shared the sundae Rusty got a regular ice cream bar.

Since we had stuffed ourselves to the max, we walked back to the hotel for a rest. When we went back into the park, we went into Disneyland and rode the train for a grand circle tour and then disembarked at New Orleans Square. We got Bengal BBQ for dinner and ate at the tables outside Riverbelle Terrace.

After relaxing a bit we went on Pooh again and then went back to New Orleans Square to get beignets again. We then took the train from New Orleans to Toon Town. We got off just as the fireworks were starting and thereby accidentally discovered an absolutely amazing spot to view the fireworks. We stayed just outside of Toon Town at the bottom of the Train Station. You have to crane your neck up to watch them, but they still play the music down there so its really a great experience to see the fireworks so close.

We wanted to go on the Matterhorn next but the line was really long so we decided to skip it. Rusty was hungry so he got a salad from Pizza Port. After he ate his salad we went back to Main Street and found a bench. We shared a cream cheese pretzel and popcorn. We just sat on the bench soaking everything in and enjoying the magic. It was a great way to end the night and the trip.

Best Moments of the Day: soaking everything in, BBQ, and finding a new fireworks viewing spot

Day 6: Sunday, January 27th

We flew & drove home safely. Another great trip, but sad to see it end.

Final Notes

This was a more relaxed trip with just the three of us, and we had a great time. We discussed multiple times the fact that wed still want to come to Disneyland even if we couldnt ride anything. The atmosphere, the dcor, and the magic are what makes Disneyland special. The memories you create and the nostalgia you feel when thinking of those memories are what make you want to keep coming back. And the food doesnt hurt either, obviously

2. # ADS

Well that sure was a fun read! Thanks for posting. I am feeling a bit full now because of all of the food descriptions! Glad you had such a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat91 View Post
    Well that sure was a fun read! Thanks for posting. I am feeling a bit full now because of all of the food descriptions! Glad you had such a good time.
    Thank you!

Loved your report. Thanks for sharing.
    Ellen

Thanks for your report!! Glad you all had a great time