Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Electronic Convenience Vehicle (ECV) fleet comes in sizes

Electronic Convenience Vehicle (ECV) fleet comes in sizes

Regarding those guests who need electric scooters so you can sit while visiting Disneyland:

I used their Electronic Convenience Vehicles (ECV) twice in my last two visits (June 2014).
    Their kiosk is the same kiosk as the stroller kiosk. -- Your right side, as you view the front entrance from outside the main gate.
    I liked my ECV.
    I learned a few things which I now pass along to you, as the "highlights" to know.

1.) The fleet of vehicles is limited.
    It is possible for DL to "sell out".

2.) You cannot "reserve" them.
    First come, first served.

3.) You cannot travel far with the ECV, like for Downtown Disney.
    Use of the ECV is limited to DL and DCA.

4.) They can hold your vehicle for a few hours.
    I had to leave DL for a few hours and return.
    The Castmember asked if I was done for the day.
    I said, "No, I will be back."
    They said they can hold the vehicle for me (i.e., upon my return, the same vehicle will be waiting for me).
    I didn't know they could do this. -- I thought that I would have had to re-rent a different ECV when I returned.
    Keep your green receipt!

5.) They will check your walker
    When you rent the ECV, the staff will check your walker for you.
    (I use a wheeled walker, so that I may sit as often as possible after walking a few feet.)

6.) The ECV fleet comes in two sizes.
    (This is the most important tip which I would have loved to have known beforehand!)
    All vehicles in the DL fleet are the same design, with the exception of exactly two vehicles.
    Two vehicles are over-sized, i.e., the upright control tower is set more forward (i.e., not leaning backward, toward the driver).
    This design is preferred for those guests who are overweight, and wider than most guests.
    The "normal" size vehicles have the FORWARD/BACKWARD switch too close to the body, so that the switches dig into the tummy area of fatter guests.
    This causes the rocker switch (FORWARD/BACKWARD) button to change its rocker setting to its opposite.
    Also, the close proximity of the two power levers causes the power levers to catch on the seam of a shirt or catch on the shirt's bottom hem.
    My next question to ask DL is: "Can the user (can DL) adjust the control tower to any angle, and thus customize the belly-distance?"

(Full disclosure: Just so you know -- I am such a guest. -- I weigh 390 pounds.)

Comment on finding more info:
    I did a keyword search on "ECV" and found nothing in the MousePlanet search engine.
    Q. How do I use the MousePlanet search engine to find all posts regarding "ECV"?

"It is, it is, a glorious thing, to be a Pirate King."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, "Pirates of Penzance, or, The Slave of Duty"

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

I'm going to move this to the Theme Park Access folder. Using the advanced search feature will work if you add another word like rent. Hopefully someone can come in and give more of an answer.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Thank you for this interesting information! My MIL wants to take a trip to DL with my family, and because of her Rheumatoid Arthritis she will need to rent an ECV. We've never had to do this before, so these sorts of tips are very helpful to us. Thank you!

Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by potzbie View Post
    I did a keyword search on "ECV" and found nothing in the MousePlanet search engine.
    Q. How do I use the MousePlanet search engine to find all posts regarding "ECV"?
    Try "Scooter" instead of ECV. Unfortunately, the minimum search term length is 4 letters. ECV is too short to search.

Also, look at the index page for this forum, Theme Park Access. Set the time drop down menu to longer than 100 days out to see more history. You'll usually find ECV - Scooter threads in this forum so scanning the index page can help.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Quote Originally Posted by potzbie View Post
    If you do an advanced search on Tags, you can find threads that have been tagged with ECV (not all threads will show up though, since tagging threads is optional). As adriennek said, you need a word longer than 3 characters for a regular search.