Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TWO RESORTS in ONE TRIP: AKL and Yacht Club

TWO RESORTS in ONE TRIP: AKL and Yacht Club

This might be premature but I am planning my next year's Birthday trip to WDW and have to ask all Y'alls some questions.....Been to DL about 100 times and my sis and I went to WDW for a LOOOONG week and stayed at an ALL STAR resort which was fantastic because we were young and energetic and did EVERYTHING at all the parks .....got to see ALL the properties as a buddy of mine worked at WDW and took us around one morning and that is when I decided I would be staying LUXURY next time.....so here is my idea....

3 Nights at ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE and 4 nights at the YACHT CLUB

ANIMAL KINGDOM QUESTIONS
    I definitely want to spend extra for a Savannah View. What are the levels of Savannah views? Arusha is the best and the others are random? Can you request a floor? I hear the second floor is the best? Want to eat at Jiko one night and Sanaa the other....both good I trust? How is the swimming pool at this resort.......Thoughts discussions.

YACHT CLUB
    Chose this property for two words.....SWIMMING POOL.....Florida is waaaaaaay too hot for me so pool time and Water parks are my FAVORITE thing. This looks like the best pool in the resorts. Looks big enough that one can escape screaming kids???? No ???? Possiblilty???? Are there better pools. I like the decor at Yacht Club better than BEACH CLUB that is why I would choose that. I also want to eat at the FLYING FISH and taking a boat to dinner would be amazing!!!! How is the bus system for this resort??? Quick? efficient?????

Thanks everyone! PS.....I am taking the switching HOTEL day Off from all parks to enjoy the view of AKL and the pool at YACHT CLUB! Is that a good idea???

Last edited by MadasaHatter; 06-16-2014 at 09:02 AM.

2. # ADS

I have only stayed at AKL, so I cannot speak about the Yacht Club. AKL is a fabulous resort. Both pools at Jambo and Kidani are great. We loved them both. I am not sure about which Savannah is better. I will say, a second floor room is a great request, as you are closer to the animals. That is the floor we have requested in the past. We have not eaten at Jiko, but I have heard great things about it. Sanaa and Boma are both excellent choices as well. I recommend the bread service at Sanaa. It was very good and cannot wait to eat there again. At night, you can use night vision goggles at AKL to see the animals in the dark. This is another experience that I recommend.

Night vision goggles???? How cool is that...I knew I would get great ideas on this site...thanks ssmerdel

Keep them coming!

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff

Haven't stayed at Animal Kingdom.

There is no better pool complex at Disney, or just about anywhere for that matter, than the Yacht and Beach Club's Stormalong Bay. It's wonderful! I suppose the screaming kids issue is a tough one. Yes it's big enough, but you are at Disney. There are kids everywhere. My Yacht Club experience put most of the kids around the big shipwreck slide and the central pool area especially during peak day hours when the pool entertainment is happening. That said, there are still plenty of corners to escape to. It's large enough to spread people around. This may sound counter-intuitive but the sandy bottom kids area was actually one of the quietest spots I remember finding. It was mostly toddlers/infants and their parents. They were very quiet, not like a bunch of older, screaming, running around kids. Don't discount that area at all. Time of year is also significant. If you're there during a peak vacation time when kids are off...there's going to be more kids. Off season is pretty nice. It's such an amazing pool complex though, I don't think you can have a bad time there. Don't forget there are also beautiful quiet pools at both Yacht and Beach that you have access to.

We found the Yacht Club to be very tranquil. The Beach Club seemed busier. I think the Cape May character dining and the Beach Club Marketplace for quick service food certainly bring more people into the Beach Club lobby area, while the Yacht Club lobby area was pretty much dead quiet all the time. The boats are a nice plus to get to dinner at BoardWalk but you can probably beat the boat by walking around the boardwalk, but that's really a matter of preference. Take the boat heading to Epcot and the next stop is the BoardWalk, so it is a nice option, but the walk is also quite nice.

We found the bus system to be just OK. It does share a bus with the Beach Club at the very least. Sometimes with Swan and Dolphin as well and I've heard sometimes with BoardWalk. So leave time to get to the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. If you plan well, and have a Park Hopper you can avoid the bus to MK and just walk through Epcot to get to the monorail. That's not a time saver really but it sure is fun. We did that a lot and avoided the bus to MK completely. We always either walked or took the boat to the Studios and of course...the real joy of staying here is the short walk to Epcot.

Loved the Yacht Club. Going back this September! Can't wait.

Thank Charry,

I thought the same thing about the best pool by all of my research.... and the lobby and rooms look so much more tranquil at the Yacht Club. I figured that pool would be big enough for some peaceful sections....and you can take the BOAT to Hollywood Studios!?!? That is fantastic. I don't think park hopping is in the cards. That is the number one thing that bothered me about WDW is HOW FAR everything is. So doing AK and BB while staying at the ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE is fantastic! It looks like the only bus I will ever have to take to a park is Typhoon Lagoon and MK so I can handle that pretty well! Love the idea of boating to Flying Fish and then walking back after dinner. Fantastic. Thanks for the feedback.

You could always walk through Epcot to the monorail and take the monorail line to MK if you want to avoid the buses altogether and get a turn on the monorail. Would of course take longer than the bus.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Quote Originally Posted by MadasaHatter View Post
    Thank Charry,

......................... That is the number one thing that bothered me about WDW is HOW FAR everything is. So doing AK and BB while staying at the ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE is fantastic! It looks like the only bus I will ever have to take to a park is Typhoon Lagoon and MK so I can handle that pretty well! ....................
    I believe you will need to take a bus or car to get to anything (even Animal Kingdom) from AKL.

While it's only a little over a mile or two on the roadways, I don't believe there are walking paths to safely do that. I'll gladly be proven incorrect if others know better, but I just Google earth'ed it to check, and it doesn't look like there really are walking paths to do so.

The Osceola Pkwy doesn't seem to have any sidewalks, and that's the only way out of the AKL area, I think.
    -Dave

You can't walk anywhere from AKL apart from to the DVC units. It would be suicide. If possible even.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

It looks so close? Walking to EVERYTHING in SF I find that so foreign and strange that AKL wouldn't be accessible to AK?????? But it must be a verrrry quick bus ride....am I correct?

It looks so close? Walking to EVERYTHING in SF I find that so foreign and strange that AKL wouldn't be accessible to AK?????? But it must be a verrrry quick bus ride....am I correct?
    Yes it's a very quick bus ride. Just hope you time it right so you don't have to wait long for the bus to show up.
    2017: Coco
    Future: The Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4

Not an official spokesperson for the company

Correct.

You.....Scoobydooby......are succinct. I love that.

3 Nights at ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE and 4 nights at the YACHT CLUB

ANIMAL KINGDOM QUESTIONS
    I definitely want to spend extra for a Savannah View. What are the levels of Savannah views? Arusha is the best and the others are random? Can you request a floor? I hear the second floor is the best? Want to eat at Jiko one night and Sanaa the other....both good I trust? How is the swimming pool at this resort.......Thoughts discussions.

YACHT CLUB
    Chose this property for two words.....SWIMMING POOL.....Florida is waaaaaaay too hot for me so pool time and Water parks are my FAVORITE thing. This looks like the best pool in the resorts. Looks big enough that one can escape screaming kids???? No ???? Possiblilty???? Are there better pools. I like the decor at Yacht Club better than BEACH CLUB that is why I would choose that. I also want to eat at the FLYING FISH and taking a boat to dinner would be amazing!!!! How is the bus system for this resort??? Quick? efficient?????

Thanks everyone! PS.....I am taking the switching HOTEL day Off from all parks to enjoy the view of AKL and the pool at YACHT CLUB! Is that a good idea???
    Criss-crossing your threads here. I love the idea of split stays. Last year was my fam's first time to the 'World- we went end of Jan/Feb for 9 nights/10 days and split our stay between the Cabins @ Ft Wilderness (5 night) and then bounced to a @ BR Villa at Kidani AKL. I'm similar in mind- the sane part in that my draw is the dining, the resorts and the amenities- my desire isn't to be at parks open to close doing *every attraction*, but more to take advantage of all that WDW offers. In May last year I went back for a week and that stay was in a deluxe room at the Boardwalk. Kidani shares savannah w/Jambo House, but I believe Arusha view is at Jambo only and is reviewed as the best type of view. We actually were upgraded to a "partial savannah view" for free and everyone else wanted it so I said ok. There is a reason that wasn't so awesome: Kidani is one super long continuous hallway and the walk from our room to Jambo house clocked in a hair under a mile!! But it was nice that we had savannah off our balconies and we saw birds and warthogs- most of the big game didn't come to our skinny track of savannah area. I think unless you just do NOT want that- seeing the animals off your balcony and WISH to do other things to see them like the special tours/viewing areas etc, but love the grounds of the resort then OK, get a standard room. Otherwise, just pay.

No, you can't walk to AK park though it is close enough for a long walk there - no path. Short bus ride, 2 mins once you get moving. Short bus ride also to Blizzard Beach, so you're wise to do BB park when at AKL.

2nd Floor is best because the first floor is actually down from the lobby/ground level (where you catch buses). So 1st or upper floors mean always needing an elevator or stairs. The main pool at Jambo is gorgeous, quite lovely. You can also pool hop to Kidani but the one at Jambo is nicer. IF I went back to AKL (which would not be my first pick) I'd love to do at villa stay but at Jambo house, not Kidani for the better pool and location and better food options. Did try BOMA but not Sanaa or JIKO. Boma is the buffet and was very good but very packed and noisy. Sanaa changed up their menu substantially last year- more Indian as I recall now and seems to be enjoying improved reviews.

I researched staying at Beach for the lure of Stormalong. I think kids would really love it. But then, were I doing a stay where I was including both water parks, I don't know if some of that allure might be lost. Generally people say it's busy (though I checked in May many times when on that side of the lake and it didn't appear mobbed at that time). Quiet? Probably not. Yacht Club is definitely quieter- I checked it out several times and there was a noted decrease in kids- saw like one kid. Primmer, proper, quieter and fewer kids was my impression of Yacht Club. On AllEars I think it has one of the highest ratings for service.

The bus line shares w/Beach Club. Remember that there is no bus to the front of EPCOT, so unfortunately it's not easy to utilize the monorail unless you go through EPCOT to the front.

Didn't try Flying Fish... and yes taking a day off for switching day I think is a great idea and that's what we did. It was our day to sleep in, check out, check in, explore the new resort, eat, swim, rest and recharge mid-trip.
    Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

I love your input Teddi!....Great pic of the three princesses by the by.....

I looked at the map and found it rather odd that they did not make an accessible entrance from AKLodge into AKPark for goodness sake!!! Dum. They didn't. Oh well.

I am now sort of not sure if I want an ARUSHA view or a standard view with a POSSIBILITY of a view or even request something closer to the pool and doors???? Another question for all of you is there great animal viewing from the lobby? The grounds? Sanaa restaurant overlooks the animals....maybe that would be enough also considering we will be doing the SAFARI RIDE in AK.....

San Francisco is so cool all year long and I hate the heat anyway so pool time everyday is a must do.....so I don't think it will be too much. The water parks will be more about the slides anyway rather than swimming and lazy river stuff since that is at STORMALONG BAY......so I think the pool is great AND now that you talk about Yacht Club being primmer proper and quieter....BAM.....choice is firm.

I am ok with no monorail to MK....we are only going for a day so the bus ride won't be bad at all.....With a 2 minute busy ride to AK and probably 10 minutes to BB....Walk to EPCOT! and the BOAT to HS.....I think I can handle the bus to and fro MK once for park and once for CA GRILL............oh and of course a bus ride to TYPHOON LAGOON.

Keep the tips coming.......I may be mad but very appreciative!

There is a great outdoor animal viewing area "lookout" from the Jambo House lobby. In the evening they provide the night goggles and there are CMs available to answer questions. We always book an Arusha view when we stay at AKL simply because we enjoy it, especially my boyfriend. He could literally spend hours there in the morning with coffee and in the evening with an adult beverage watching the wildlife (he's especially a giraffe kind of guy!) So for us the added $$ is so worth it. But there are plenty of places (the lobby and hallway balconies) to animal watch if you don't have a savannah room view.

We have come to enjoy split stays too. This September we are staying at Coronado Springs and the Boardwalk Inn and this November at the Wilderness Lodge and back to Animal Kingdom Lodge!

John

Well coffee in the morning and adult beverages at night sounds like the way to go!!!! So I am thinking of the ARUSHA view again.....being able to have a quiet time is so important to me on vacation and not having to walk to the lobby if I don't want to is fantastic. Thanks CK....is there a preferred floor you ask for then????

Most folks say the second floor is the optimum level for critter viewing.

John

"Critter Viewing".....he he

Don't let the bus system or the distance between things bother you too much. People talk about how far away the AKL is, and yes, it's on the edge of Disney property. But the bus ride up to the MK is only about 15 to 20 minutes - not bad at all if you plan for it.

Enjoy!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I won't danyoung. SInce I have never been to Animal Kingdom that is why I have selected Animal Kingdom Lodge (also because it is very cool) and I think that is the only park that I may make a return trip to that day. The rest I think I will just enter and then exit for the day which allows LESS time on the busses and more time at the pool/naptime/resorts....I think the itinerary is pretty darn good .....and all of your input really helps....

Really don't worry about the buses. Me and DD found them to be really good last month and not too long at all apart from DTD. Twice we got up super early for rope drop (we like to be the first of the first....) and we had buses to ourselves. Like this

Which in turn means you get to ride attractions to yourself, twice without getting off, like this

Thanks for the reassurance and pics Scooby Dooby,

I think my touring plan along with a stay at AKL (tour AK and BB) and YACHT CLUB (tour MK, TL, Epcot and HS) allows for easy access....I also will probably only re-enter parks like AK (short short bus ride) and Epcot (walk) so I won't get stuck on a closing night crowded bus or long wait.

It's funny, but living in a city where busses are a way of life....I just want to avoid them on vacation....

Thanks for the reassurance and pics Scooby Dooby,

I think my touring plan along with a stay at AKL (tour AK and BB) and YACHT CLUB (tour MK, TL, Epcot and HS) allows for easy access....I also will probably only re-enter parks like AK (short short bus ride) and Epcot (walk) so I won't get stuck on a closing night crowded bus or long wait.

It's funny, but living in a city where busses are a way of life....I just want to avoid them on vacation....
    I just re-read the thread to make sure this wasn't mentioned before, but with your preference for walking, you can also walk to DHS from Yacht Club. You don't actually have to take the boats (and if you walk at a decent pace, you likely could beat a boat, since they stop 3 times). It's not as short as the walk into Epcot from Yacht Club, but you can do it.

I think I timed myself at 28 minutes with taking some pics along the way walking between the 2 parks in May (might have taken me longer in the humidity later in the summer).

It's approximately 1.1 miles (according to Google Earth) from the Yacht Club boardwalk (near where you would walk down to the lighthouse to pick up the boat) to the entrance of DHS.
    Last edited by Dave1313; 06-23-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    -Dave

We almost always do the walk to DHS. It's peaceful and scenic and it beats all the boat stops and the lack of adequate air conditioning, imo, if you have to sit inside the boat.

John

Thanks Ck and D1313,

My preference is taxi service with no stops in between of course.....he he......that said the boat sounds much more relaxing than the bus but good to know you can walk. I was just surprised that Disney didn't build AKL within walking distance to the park as an overall landscaping thing and ease thing.....(just like Yacht/Beach Club is to Epcot). I am sure it has something to do with the animal view but I figured they could have used their space within the Safari more cleverly but I know a lot more about Mad Tea Parties than I do about architecture and animal habitat!