Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: How's your training going? (v. 3.we're awesome)

Quote Originally Posted by mmaus1962 View Post
    Last week, I noticed the second toe on my right foot was very tender. I thought it might be a black toenail developing, but it wasn't. (I've had one before.) When I trimmed back the nail, I punctured what was an actual blister. After a walk on Saturday it was very tender still, so I skipped my long run on Sunday. With pressure, it is still releasing clear fluid.

I was going to try a short run tomorrow morning to see how it feels. Has anyone experienced this issue before?
    I'll be interested to hear the replies to this question. I currently have two black toenails (#5 toe on the right and #4 on the left). Not sure what's causing them. I have some of those toe caps and they seem to help a little, but they slide off and get balled up in uncomfortable places. Maybe I'll try some first aid tape to hold them in place.
    Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

2. # ADS

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The actual running has been so inconsistent still. We're on vacation now, I'm still not running, but we've been hiking at altitude quite a bit. Friday morning DH and I are going for 14 miles. We'll be leaving at 4am so that we can get it done before it's 90+ degrees.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
    I'll be interested to hear the replies to this question. I currently have two black toenails (#5 toe on the right and #4 on the left). Not sure what's causing them. I have some of those toe caps and they seem to help a little, but they slide off and get balled up in uncomfortable places. Maybe I'll try some first aid tape to hold them in place.
    Black toenails are caused by repeated trauma to the nail bed. Sometimes it means that the shoes you have are too small or don't fit you properly. You can try to lace your shoes differently to alleviate this:

Well, I'm starting my baby-steps into fitness. I found a very small gym that is starting a tabata bootcamp soon and to make sure that I could stand being around some of the people before I gave them my money, I tried out a 30 minute hula hoop class this evening. The program is a bit more than I would prefer to spend on myself - but I remind myself that on a monthly basis it is not a lot more than I pay for my kids sports classes/lessons and that "I'm worth it!"

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    The program is a bit more than I would prefer to spend on myself - but I remind myself that on a monthly basis it is not a lot more than I pay for my kids sports classes/lessons and that "I'm worth it!"
    You are worth it! A healthy, happy, endomorphin filled momma is priceless. Your whole family will benefit from your investment in yourself. Congrats on the start of your journey.

Plus, an investment in your health will save you health care money in the future. Totally worth it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Well, I'm starting my baby-steps into fitness. I found a very small gym that is starting a tabata bootcamp soon and to make sure that I could stand being around some of the people before I gave them my money, I tried out a 30 minute hula hoop class this evening. The program is a bit more than I would prefer to spend on myself - but I remind myself that on a monthly basis it is not a lot more than I pay for my kids sports classes/lessons and that "I'm worth it!"
    You are most definitely worth it! You'll feel better and I think that enables us to be better moms/dads/people! Plus you're setting a great example for your kids too!

My running is on hold right now. IT band is not cooperating with me. My sports med Dr. is out of the office this week but I'll be making an appt to go in next week. Until then it will be walks, stationary bike and some cardio videos.

I've been taking time off after my race, but I'd better get back into the swing of things before I turn into a pile of goo! I may try to mix in some swimming this summer, although I am a little hesitant. It's been a long time since I swam laps.

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    I've been taking time off after my race, but I'd better get back into the swing of things before I turn into a pile of goo! I may try to mix in some swimming this summer, although I am a little hesitant. It's been a long time since I swam laps.
    The first couple of times in the pool may be rusty but I'll bet it will come back pretty quick.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Although I do not enjoy swimming laps, I am always in the best cardiovascular shape when I include one swimming workout each week.
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

How's your training going? (v. 3.we're awesome)

I am in week one of couch to 5K. Some work friends and I are doing a foam run at the end of August. It's 1.5 weeks before the training program ends, but I figure if I can run 2 miles, that should be fine, since there is the whole foam aspect going on.

I looked for a "real 5k" in Sept. There is one not far that also benefits Prader-Willi syndrome which a friends son has, so I think I'm going to sign up for that one too.

I'm hoping this is the first step in a healthier lifestyle. And, two runs, no toe issues! I'm going to try to check in here to stay accountable!

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Blog Entries

I did my 14 miles (a few days late) for Long Beach Marathon Friday morning. It was terribly tough for me with lots of hills. It was beautiful though, and I got it done while on vacation!

Black toenails are caused by repeated trauma to the nail bed. Sometimes it means that the shoes you have are too small or don't fit you properly. You can try to lace your shoes differently to alleviate this:

Thanks! My toe issues are my smaller toes (#4 and #5). I'm pretty sure that I'm curling them for grip when I run or exercise since there is plenty of room in the toe box. I'll focus on relaxing that area in the coming weeks.
    Better socks definitely helped - the previous socks had a seam right across the ends of my little toes. I bought two pair of Feetures; one ultralight and one light padding. Going to try the ultralights on a 5 mile run today.
    Reluctant Runner

Oh, my adult daughter and I ran in the Roadrunner Sports Adventure Run on Thursday with a friend of mine. Another runner left early and gave her raffle tickets to my friend who in turn passed them off to my daughter. Yep, one of those tickets won my daughter a free pair of ASICS. The rest of us won nothing, but it was a fun run.

Reluctant Runner

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I did a 4 mile race on Friday and then 4 miles training on Saturday. Race excitement definitely affects me: more than a minute faster per mile Friday vsSaturday! (Most other conditions equivalent)

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I did a 4 mile race on Friday and then 4 miles training on Saturday. Race excitement definitely affects me: more than a minute faster per mile Friday vsSaturday! (Most other conditions equivalent)
    That's awesome! Your festive attire helped your speed too, I'm sure.

No run today, but I had a nice hike along the Marin Headlands.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Alex and I wound up taking a road trip up to Lassen National Park this weekend. On Saturday, we hiked the Brokeoff Mountain Trail -- 7.4 "strenuous" miles up to the top of one of the volcanoes. ome parts were so hairy for me (along a ridge, not much shoulder and seeing where I would wind up if I tripped was so scary for me), but it turned out we were able to go at a very good pace. The trail literature says it takes 6 hours, and it only took us 4:40.

I also went out for a 4-mile jog today. Warmed up beforehand and stretched real well afterwards, so my Achilles is doing OK this evening.

I really need to get back into some serious exercise, though. My clothes are getting tight!

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

as a total newbie, and wanting to be held accountable, for me its not been regular enough. I am getting my 30s in twice per week but not the weekend run (galloway schedule). and since I am basically starting from scratch my legs just feel like two giant trees hard to move (pretty dense muscularity but not strong). The official start to the Avengers training is next tuesday July 15th so I can't sit idly by anymore - but yes I am not disciplined enough yet.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    as a total newbie, and wanting to be held accountable, for me its not been regular enough. I am getting my 30s in twice per week but not the weekend run (galloway schedule). and since I am basically starting from scratch my legs just feel like two giant trees hard to move (pretty dense muscularity but not strong). The official start to the Avengers training is next tuesday July 15th so I can't sit idly by anymore - but yes I am not disciplined enough yet.
    I know the feeling. The heat is killing me and I'm not disciplined enough to get up early to run before it gets too hot. Evenings are still too warm these last few weeks.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    The official start to the Avengers training is next tuesday July 15th so I can't sit idly by anymore - but yes I am not disciplined enough yet.
    The hardest part of exercise is putting on your running shoes and stepping out the door. You would THINK that it's the actual exercise part, but it's not (at least for me). Just remember that a very big part of the struggle and challenge happens between your ears. You have many voices and thoughts swirling around in your head that muddle things, tempt you to put things off, and prevent you from having clarity and focus.

There are a couple of mind games you can play that might help. Since a lot of the challenge is feeling overwhelmed and finding it too easy to put things off, try to do everything you can BEFORE you need to actually exercise, when there's no pressure to actually work out, and all those doubting voices aren't overwhelming you.

For example, let's say you're supposed to go out for a workout on Saturday. You get your workouts in during the week and you're feeling pretty good, and it's happening because you got yourself into a good pattern/habit. But on weekends, maybe your kids wanna play with you, maybe you have a big list of chores to do, etc. and you wind up "running out of time" to work out.

...and then you kick yourself for the rest of the weekend because you failed in working out.

Try this instead:

Let's say that on weekdays, you go running after work. So on Friday (a day you don't normally run, so there's NO pressure to exercise), at the time that you would normally go out for a run, pull out all of your running gear you need to go running. Set aside your running shoes. Put your socks in one of the shoes. By your shoes, lay out your running shorts, underwear/under garments, running shirt, sunscreen, GPS watch, visor/hat, sunglasses, water bottle filled with water (and maybe a water bottle belt or whatever system you use).

Place these near your bed, or in the bathroom in your bedroom.

Now, take a big post-it note and write "GO OUT AND RUN THIS MORNING!" "YOU CAN DO IT!" "YOUR CLOTHES ARE READY, NO EXCUSES!" "YOU WON'T MISS ANYTHING IF YOU GO OUT FOR YOUR RUN, OTHER THAN AN HOUR & EXCESS WEIGHT!" and other reminders and motivational notes. Post one on your alarm clock. Post one on the mirror in the bathroom. Leave one on top of your running gear.

The thought of going out for a run might feel icky, but your weekend run shouldn't take very long yet since you're just starting your training plan. Let's say your plan only calls for half an hour right now. When you look at the clock on Saturday morning, remind yourself, "It's 7:00 now. if I can get out of the house by 7:30, I'll be done by 8:00 or so. So in the time it takes for me to watch Good Morning America (just sitting on the couch), I will be done with my run and I will feel great!"

The idea of laying out your clothes the day before, is so you don't forget anything, and you have fewer excuses. And laying out your stuff the day before is VERY easy, because there's no pressure to work out right then. That is, on Friday, you won't be fighting the need to work out. It'll just be "I'm setting this stuff out because I have a run scheduled."

Do this for a month or so, until you've gotten into the habit of your weekend run. Your body AND mind will be used to it!
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries

Exactly what Lani said!
    I used to have to lay out my clothes the night before and put the alarm out of reach to where I had to get up to turn it off. This time of year I'm uber motivated to get out early (like before 5am) since I'm slow and it starts to get hot quickly. I like to run in the cool dark mornings.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    I know the feeling. The heat is killing me and I'm not disciplined enough to get up early to run before it gets too hot. Evenings are still too warm these last few weeks.
    It's so hard when the temperature heats up, for sure.

If for any reason I find that I cannot beat the heat, and I know that I'm just kidding myself about waiting until it cools down, I'll actually head out, but only for a very short run. Maybe just 15 minutes or so. It won't be the same as a full workout, but it's all part of getting and staying in the habit of exercising regularly. I remind myself that "just" working out for 20 minutes is better than planning for an hour workout then not doing it at all.

The other thing I'm trying to get in the habit of, is stretching regularly. So if I work out for just a short while, I can get back indoors and stretch fully. I likely won't stretch if I don't work out at all, and I know my body needs stretching everyday.

Thanks for the tips and motivation Lani!

I ran a 5 mile trail run in Peters Canyon with a friend. We are considering running in the 5 mile race there this Thursday and wanted to survey the race course. Wow, the course is very hilly with some trails so steep that they were difficult to "run" down.
    Not sure that this race is for me! Plus trail running is way different than running on pavement, not sure my footwear is up to the task.

Reluctant Runner