Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: How's your training going? (v. 3.we're awesome)

I've been dealing with really low energy lately and blaming it on my increased mileage. But I'm also seeing the scale creep up (as it might during marathon training) but "I swear" I'm not eating/drinking more. So....I decided to add MyFitnessPal back into my daily routine to see exactly how much I am eating. WOW. Just WOW. If the last week is any indication, I have been taking in quite a few extra calories (damn you, tequila!!). So hopefully I can at least get my calorie intake back on track as a trudge toward my next marathon.

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

2. # ADS

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just an easy shorty with my new Garmin 220 today. Love all of the features, still learning many of them.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Be careful about sleeping in compression gear. I have done it before and woken up in pain.
    I concur. For me, my legs start throbbing and I end up ripping them off around 3AM. (I've tried a few times, same results. Insanity, etc.)

I've been training for my spring half marathon in May. Doing ok, trying hard to stay on task and mostly succeeding. I'm really hoping for a PR and a good time I can use for proof of time for the DL half in September. That's my primary goal for this race. Wacky Chicago weather has been making it tough to get consistent runs outside, so spending more time on the treadmill than I'd prefer, especially for runs over 4-5miles. But hey, I'm catching up on my movies

Tomorrow is the Shamrock Shuffle 8k, and will give me a good idea of how I'm doing. Wish me luck!

Blog Entries

Went out for 6 miles before the sun was up this morning. It was beautiful and peaceful and I had great company. I would have preferred a little bit faster pace, but seeing as I was joining them at mile 11 of their 26 miles today I won't complain.

JenJones, how'd the 8K go? I'm training for a half in May, too (Tinker Bell)...but it'll be my first one, so any time I get is a PR, lol!

Fairest, sounds absolutely lovely! I really need to try to get out early. I have great intentions of running later in the day, then before I know it, the day is gone and no run.

As far as my training goes, it was 2 weeks past when I was supposed to do it according to my training plan, but...I DID 11.5 MILES on Saturday!!! My longest run to date. Took 2 hours and 50 minutes, but at least I know that I should be able to do the half marathon in under 3:30.

But, my poor knees...oh, my knees. I was doing great up to 10 miles, then I started hurting. I should have just walked the last mile, but I ran a little. I do 30 sec run/30 sec walk intervals and switched to 30/60 for the last couple of miles. Saturday night I was hurting. DH and I went to a performance at a Jazz Festival competition for high school and college groups (amazing!) and I was sitting for a long time. Felt like my knees kept getting "stuck." Hurt less on Sunday and Monday, and today almost nothing. So, I don't feel like I injured anything, just not used to that much abuse.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lifeisgood- might want to consider ice baths. They really help my joints and muscles, especially when I first started doing double digit mileage.

Sore knees aside - WOOIHOO on your mileage!!

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgood View Post
    JenJones, how'd the 8K go? I'm training for a half in May, too (Tinker Bell)...but it'll be my first one, so any time I get is a PR, lol!
    It went great! Was pretty chilly and wind gusts up to 20mph (at one point I felt like I was running on the treadmill.... not moving!) but I ended up with a PR over last year by about 3 seconds. I'll take it!
    Good luck with Tinker Bell! I'm shooting for that one next year!

11 miles this morning, first double digit run in 2 months. Not super pretty but it is done and that is the important part.

Blog Entries

Bah! Crummy outing this morning. I started at 4am with three other ladies in my running group. Two were heading for 20, one 26 and I was hoping for 14 miles. We did a 6 mile loop and came back to our meeting spot and picked up three more runners that were in for 8. My hip never warmed up and the "cow loop" that we were headed for is notoriously colder than the first loop we ran. So, I made a last minute decision to cut my run short. So, now I have to try and get in a longer run in while we're in Italy than I had planned. I'm not super stressed about it, if I get it then I get it, if not, I'll suck it up and do it solo when we get back while the boys are in school one morning.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just got home from my surgery. 4 weeks to full recovery and then time to get serious.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Pixie Dust for rapid, uncomplicated recovery, olegc!

I've seemed to have found my mojo again, thank goodness. Left me with a compressed, but not asking-for-injury schedule for Pixie Dust.

In fact, I got my mojo back so much, I'm doing 4 5Ks in the 4 weeks pre-Pixie dust. All but this weekend are on Saturday, so I'll just do a few more miles after the race for my 'simulating 10K' part of training. This weekend it's on Sunday, but it's in one of the local cemeteries, so I want to do it. I'm going to get up extra early and do miles before the race, and then not worry about my time on the 5K. I figure that will also help simulate going on tired legs a little bit, too.

Cathy

Yes, speedy recovery, olegc.

I participated in a 5k on Saturday (I have done longer distances for races). It was a wonderful distance for me right now, since I haven't been exercising regularly (read that as, "not exercising at all"). I don't know why I haven't done more of these distances.

- Spring MouseAdventures: Decades advanced: our goal? to finish. mission accomplished!
    - december 09 reindeer games: 26th place, & drenched all the way through!
    - spring 09 mouse adventure (train, trams, and monorails): advanced division, with a newbie! the dominoes and the jigsaw puzzle nearly killed us!
    - fall 08 mouse adventures: third place in the 101 division!

Blog Entries

my plan was this - I need to wait until mid May to go all out - but I will begin walking at the beginning of May; I need to travel to Notre Dame 2nd weekend to pick up my son (there goes volunteer work at TInk) and then get on a training plan. I will be looking for 5ks in june and july, and then hit the Dland 10k in Aug/Sep. I was training all last year until 1 week before Avengers and had to drop out due to a different issue - but that's when I found out about my surgery need so that killed my SWars. I am essentially starting from scratch but plan to be a bit more agressive in training (as much as I can). So we shall see what happens...

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Diagonosis needed for top of foot pain. Pain on and below the second and third toes. Hurts when toes are pointed not flexed. Hurts after running, not during. No swelling.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Yes, I still exist! I don't post a lot these days but I'm still here.

All of this month, I've been on a jury for a criminal case. I will likely be on it through the end of the month. I can't talk about the case, obviously.

But...

Week 1 of the trial, one of the jurors sitting behind me was sick. He essentially coughed his sickness throughout the entire courtroom all week, and made almost everybody sick.

Including me. And the lawyers.

A week ago, I wound up with a 104 fever. It was my first 20-miler weekend and I essentially had to rest a full week before I felt remotely human. I forced myself to start running back up, but it's been really tough. Even now, when I stop at a light, I wind up in a huge coughing fit. But at least I can breathe.

The problem is, my body is still not at 100%. I can do the miles; I just can't go fast.

My race is in five weeks and it's the one I've set my sights on to try to do well with. I'm just hoping my being sick hasn't put a huge crimp in things.

I even made Alex sick. So after my fever broke, he called in sick with an even worse fever than me.

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Ok, why do some weeks 3 miles seem super hard but 9 miles seems easy? I'm 90% sticking to my training plan but goodness some runs are way harder than I think they should be. And the runs I think are going to stink end up being great runs. I keep a log, I track weather, fuel, how I'm feeling, etc and can't find any obvious patterns. It's frustrating. Sorry to vent.

That happens to me sometimes too. I usually panic and start thinking that I've given back all those gains and I have to start over. Luckily, the next run always feels better.

My weekend training was coaching our church's C25K program, followed by boot camp, then Sunday I picked up a 5K.

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

20 miles successfully completed today (after a 10-miler yesterday). I used a pair of Hoka One One Cliftons, and they felt like running in clouds! I think I will race in them, they are so comfy.

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

After Star Wars, my husband got sick and passed it to me. And then we moved in February, and I never got well. It was a sinus infection that finally went into bronchitis, and I only just got rid of it 2 weeks ago. SO, I've been doing very little in the way of training. I'm sure I'll finish Tink, but I'll probably be super slow. My goal is to run and walk as much as I can from now until then without injuring myself. On days where I can't run, I'm walking for at least 45 minutes to an hour. So far, it's going ok. At least now when I run, I can breathe. I just get tired quicker.

Haven't been on in a while, just scrolled through a bit to check on everyone. Sending good thoughts to everyone who is recovering!

Work and family and home remodeling are keeping me very busy, and very out of shape!

I'm running the OC Half on Sunday, and just may PW, but I've got to get that Beach Cities Challenge medal, so I'll finish!

Blog Entries

Praying for my last chance at a last long run for Tink tomorrow. There are three fires on Camp Pendleton that are blowing crappy air over the hill. And tomorrow is supposed to be 95 degrees. If I can do this I can do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Just got home from my surgery. 4 weeks to full recovery and then time to get serious.
    Halfway there. How's the recovery coming?
    Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
    Halfway there. How's the recovery coming?
    thanks for asking - but I had a setback last week. Of all things - I was singing in the car to a great song and I really got into it - well, felt a twinge on the beltline and now I think i reopened something or created a new tear (my initial surgery was for a hernia). Not bad enough to get me to the doc and I waited it out to see if it was just a minor thing - but here we are a week later. I am worried they will have to go in again. I see the Dr. today. If so - it will delay me another 4 to 6 weeks.

Blog Entries

Hope it's nothing, Olegc!

Cathy