Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: How's your training going? (v. 3.we're awesome)

Loving my sweet pea.

How's your training going? (v. 3.we're awesome)

The last thread closed, I don't see a new one yet, so here goes!

Fairest, I'm not foam rolling primarily cause I don't have a foam roller but I've been meaning to find one. My sis told me yesterday she has her hubby take rolling pin to hers. Ouch! I've never needed a foam roller but perhaps with training for a full now would be a good time for one.

I do have another little nagging pain. This one I've never had before. It's on my right heal, on the side, in that lower space between the ankle and the achilles. Anyone deal with this?

2. # ADS

I'm dealing with knee pain and it's just circling my knee. I think I just need some strength because I think it's just a bit of overworked tendons. I'm doing a lot of walking and a bit of cardio/strength training. I only run three times a week.

I've become a fan of epsom salt baths and eucalyptus bubble bath to relax everything. I just do NOT have the attention span to stay in a bathtub. I have to set a timer so I don't get out before ten minutes is up.

It seems like the compression sleeves are helping my shin splints. I wear them for recovery.

You drank my weights?!? ~MDM

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nancy- I would definitely get a roller. I've used The Stick on my ITB as well, it does't hurt any more than the foam roller, maybe less? So, I imagine that a rolling pin would do the same thing. But I feel like using by body weight against the roller gets better results (although I hate it).

MDM- Glad that you compression sleeves are working. Which ones did you end up with?

My training is at zero since Sunday. Monday I came down with strep throat. I'm on my 3rd day of antibiotics and starting to feel human again. I'm supposed to go 12 on Saturday.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

The Blue Bayou Lagoon ChurroGirl's Avatar

For the month of June I have been trying to log 10-14 miles a week whether, it is running or walking.
    At the beginning of last week I had some Left Hamstring inflammation and immediately KT taped it and then altered between massage and ice. This week I haven't experienced any pain while running, hoping that's a good sign!

I finally learned how to, "Ignite my Glutes", while I run! It is kind of difficult to focus on so much while running but at the same time try and have a clear mind.

We keep running the trails here that have a mix of all terrain, concrete, sand, packed dirt, and hills. Trying to encourage DH to do a solid day of street is really difficult! I'm trying to work in at least one day of track instead of concrete and just build up to it. We'll see how that goes.

"That's the Evil Stepmother...She's 6 kinds of nasty"- Rowlf the Dog
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

Force is strong in this one

Had another 5:30 AM indoor cycling ride, 1-mile intervals. Tonight is the 2nd aquathon of the year (1K swim/5K run), and then a metric century ride this Saturday, this will cap 5 races in about 4 weeks for me, but I'm mostly doing them for training and fun.

One other thing I wanted to ask of you guys (sort of). In Fall 2014, I'm starting a personal project involving health related causes, and I'm looking for a few people who might want to partner up with me. This is going to be most useful if you own your own business, but I'll be happy to share my project with anyone and everyone. Drop me a PM if you'd like to hear more. I promise I won't take up more than 15 minutes of your time to give the initial pitch.

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Ugh. First trail half marathon is Saturday, and I'm getting sick (achy / little sore throat / stomach is off.). Took a rare sick day for myself and planning to rest as much as possible and try to stay hydrated.

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    MDM- Glad that you compression sleeves are working. Which ones did you end up with?
    Zensah. I laughed so hard putting them on the first time... They barely made it over my giant feet. They could be good for keeping my ankles warm after a run. They do fit though.

Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    Ugh. First trail half marathon is Saturday, and I'm getting sick (achy / little sore throat / stomach is off.). Took a rare sick day for myself and planning to rest as much as possible and try to stay hydrated.
    Best of luck! And feel better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyDogMom View Post
    Zensah. I laughed so hard putting them on the first time... They barely made it over my giant feet. They could be good for keeping my ankles warm after a run. They do fit though.
    How "compression-y" are they?
    My Meister ones are nice and tight. After a tough run it always feels nice to, peel them on!
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

Quote Originally Posted by ChurroGirl View Post
    How "compression-y" are they?
    My Meister ones are nice and tight. After a tough run it always feels nice to, peel them on!
    They're not extremely tight, they stretch out a bit. I have big legs. I can imagine them being tighter.

ETA: I like them, they're soft and just enough compress to feel comfortable/warm without feeling like my blood can't flow.
    Last edited by MickeyDogMom; 06-12-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    My Zensah are my favorites

My Zensah are my favorites
    There's usually a vendor at the RoadRunner sports Adventure runs that lets you try Zensah sleeves on the Adventure Run for free. I tried them last time - I suppose my lower legs felt better, but not remarkably so. I'm on the fence about spending the $30 for these; maybe they would feel better in the cold?
    Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Training report: I ran 6.8 miles with a friend today in 84 degree weather. Covered the 6.8 miles in 1:10 with a little bit of walking (less than 1/4 mile).

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

They're not extremely tight, they stretch out a bit. I have big legs. I can imagine them being tighter.

ETA: I like them, they're soft and just enough compress to feel comfortable/warm without feeling like my blood can't flow.
    I like the warm/comfortable factor. My Meister ones have a tendency to get a little itchy after an hour or so on. It's not terribly uncomfortable, just annoying.

Good job SM!

Walked 4 miles even with DH today at an even 1:20:20. I felt so slow! But we had a good morning and it keeps me in line with my goal to log 12-14 miles this week.

Force is strong in this one
    Quote Originally Posted by timl33 View Post
    Had another 5:30 AM indoor cycling ride, 1-mile intervals. Tonight is the 2nd aquathon of the year (1K swim/5K run), and then a metric century ride this Saturday, this will cap 5 races in about 4 weeks for me, but I'm mostly doing them for training and fun.
    Wow, my legs were pretty dead yesterday, though apparently I did the 5K run a minute faster than last month. Swim went much better, but since I"m not really training for swimming right now, I was basically trying to catch my breath for the entire 5K.

Edit: Well, I was actually only 16 seconds faster on the run, but nearly 5 minutes faster on the swim.
    In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

I've decided to take three days off to settle a tender knee... however I now feel like a hummingbird trapped in a jar. I keep thinking, I can't run, I'll do a workout DVD and I can't do that. I've had to remind myself three times. I'm a teacher, used to being up and moving for so many hours a day. Walking is also off the table because I want that knee to have NO excuses and walking once was what inflamed it the worst. If it's not better after a run on Sunday then I'm going to the doctor. Yay.

I'm worried for my sanity.

I went to visit a friend because I was going so crazy. I just have to make it through tomorrow.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Swimming, MDM?

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Swimming, MDM?
    Maybe but it's not really the joint that's the problem... it's the muscles and tendons around it. Would swimming fatigue my muscles?

Blog Entries

Timl33- Wow! What a swim!

MDM- Feel better plea

Week 1 of marathon training was successful; completed all training runs and hit the right paces. Only 17 weeks left to go for LB!

I am a little concerned as we enter the 'really hot' season the next 8 weeks; my training plan calls for strict adherence to paces that I feel comfortable with in 40-50 degree weather, but running those paces in 80+ degree weather will be a challenge. It's less the heat, more the sun, that really warms me up, so I'll be up very, very, very early this summer. Gah!

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    Week 1 of marathon training was successful; completed all training runs and hit the right paces. Only 17 weeks left to go for LB!

I am a little concerned as we enter the 'really hot' season the next 8 weeks; my training plan calls for strict adherence to paces that I feel comfortable with in 40-50 degree weather, but running those paces in 80+ degree weather will be a challenge. It's less the heat, more the sun, that really warms me up, so I'll be up very, very, very early this summer. Gah!
    DH and I just had this conversation on our 12 miler this morning. Not the pace, but the heat! We left at 5am, when we go beyond 16 miles we are going to have to leave at 4.

My run was crummy today, but I expected it. I was in bed with strep and a sinus infection Tuesday and I'm still tired. We ran 9 of intervals then walked the last three.

DH and I just had this conversation on our 12 miler this morning. Not the pace, but the heat! We left at 5am, when we go beyond 16 miles we are going to have to leave at 4.

My run was crummy today, but I expected it. I was in bed with strep and a sinus infection Tuesday and I'm still tired. We ran 9 of intervals then walked the last three.
    Something's going around; I woke up two weeks ago coughing up a lung (bronchitis - usually follows upper respiratory illness but this time I went right to bronchitis), then my husband got it. I just want to get through all the illness now so I can have a (knock wood) healthy 17 weeks ahead. Here's to a healthy training cycle!
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    Here's to a healthy training cycle!
    Cheers! I can drink to that!

VegasPixie and Fairest, way to go! I'll chime in on the heat. Week 1 for MCM starts tomorrow. Even in the dark, it's pretty hot. Last week I went out for just 6 in the dark. Out of deference to DH, I bought a reflective vest--think construction worker. It was so hot I just wore it over a sports bra and chafted from here to kingdom come. Since I can't just call to have the jet fueled and ready to take me to Washington state everytime I need to do a long run, I'm looking for options. For you pre-sun AM people, how do you make yourself visible?

(Full disclosure, we don't have a jet. dBROinlaw did...until the bank repoed it.)

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

The problem I was having with pain in my left hip seems to have worked itself out. I've been avoiding banked surfaces as suggested. The only ones I have on my route are the driveways during the times I'm on the sidewalk, and I've been trying to stay as far to the top as possible. I suppose it could also be that my body is getting used to the hills and longer miles, so that's good.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...