Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Savannah room at AKL/ preferred room at Pop century

Savannah room at AKL/ preferred room at Pop century

Hello! I have a 4 night stay in July at pop century and a 6 night stay at Animal kingdom lodge. I am looking for advice for which building to request at PC and which savannah to request at AKL (I didn't pay extra for Arusha). Thank you!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by deewhy702 View Post
    Hello! I have a 4 night stay in July at pop century and a 6 night stay at Animal kingdom lodge. I am looking for advice for which building to request at PC and which savannah to request at AKL (I didn't pay extra for Arusha). Thank you!
    Gosh, thats a tough one. I love Pop Century, but we have only stayed in the 50s and 60s, near the bowling pin pool. We love it back there because that pool is a bit more quiet than the larger pool, but it is a bit of a walk to the food court after a long day. I'm not sure if preferred is the way to go, as, unless I'm wrong, you don't really get much in the way of an upgrade. I've never done a preferred room and I have yet to get a room that I wasn't completely happy with, for what it's worth. I've never stayed at AKL, so someone else will have to pipe in. Your best bet may be to read the reviews of the two resorts, both here and at Allears.net, and see if a trend is easy to see.

Have a great time!
    1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

I had a terrific room in the AKL facing the Sunset Savannah. Lots of animals, and lots of action as they're coming and going to their night cages.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I stayed at AKL (my first time) for a few nights last month, while my experience was with an Arusha room, I would suspect what I am about to say might be applicable across the board.

I'm not sure if you can ask for a certain floor, but I think the floor might be more important. I was on the 4th floor (Zebra wing, near the end of the hallway) and while I did see animals several times (not as bad as it sounds - I didn't really allow enough time to stay and enjoy the resort as much as I should have, since I had missions in the parks for the few days I was there ), I noted that the field of view was limited because I was above a lot of the trees. The lower floors have a better view into/across the areas I think. 4th floor didn't seem high at check in, as the lobby area is actually the 3rd floor, but I guess the Savannahs are lower than the entry into the resort.

Not to worry though, as folks have said on other threads relating to AKL, there are lots of places to walk around and see animals. I found an outdoor stairwell at the end of my hallway gave me a few good views on two mornings.

While you didn't ask, I'd also consider the night vision Savannah tour they offer (not a freebie, but sounds interesting).

-Dave

Not sure what kind of room you need at AKL, but we had a room with a king-sized bed #2234, Kudo Trail, Sunset Savanna. It is not considered a savannah view room (so the price is lower), but the CM checking us in said it "really" is a savanna room. She was right! Right outside the balcony is some kind of corral and then the fence for the savannah is just beyond that. We had a perfect view of the animals. The giraffes even slept outside of our room one night.

We are staying at Pop Century for the first time in early July...so I can't comment on that. I will take notes and maybe I can help you out closer to your trip time!

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~ Walt Disney ~
    1982 Off-site, BC 9/01, ASMo 1/04, ASMu 8-9/08, POFQ 4/09, BC/POR 7/10, AKL and Wyndham Grand Resort at Bonnet Creek 7&8/12, CS 11/12, Disney Dream 3/13, POR and BW 12/13-1/14, Pop Century 7/14, Fort Wilderness 8/15, POR/AoA (MNSSHP and Food and Wine Festival 10/15), Fort Wilderness 7/16, Off-site 12/16, Off-site 12/17, Off-site 12/18 and Disney Magic, 7/19 Off-site DL/DCA

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ill chime in that for a non-preferred room, we had a room in the 90's section which I thought was not too bad. Short walk to the bus stop and main building.

As for AKL... I never really had a preference in regards to room type during our several stays there. For both savannah and non savannah rooms, they were all rather good. The higher floors may be better, but not necessary. And yes - many areas to see the different animals all over the place.

The nighttime giraffe viewing is quite cool - and free. That was a highlight of one trip. They also have many different activities going on throughout the day - and into the evening - that capture the spirit of the theme of the lodge itself.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Just be careful about a "water view" room. It's usually of the pool, and sometimes not a great view. I had a room once that had a wall of plants outside my window, and if you stood in the right spot and squinted and held your breath you could see a splash of blue that was the pool. Not at all cool, and I really should have requested another room.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor