Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Grad Night Particulars in CA Adventure

Grad Night Particulars in CA Adventure

A friend and I are going as chaperones on Grad Night with a group of 10 kids this month. I've never attended a Grad Night before, and am wondering exactly what happens between 10 pm and 2 am at CA Adventure? Do the kids get to watch World of Color or a special night show? Is there fireworks? Dancing? I can't quite figure out what goes on during those four hours that makes Grad Night so special? Also, are all of the rides open at CA Adventure until 2 a.m. for the kids? Our Disney tickets came with info about a chaperone's lounge in Arielle's Grotto. I've been on the Little Mermaid ride, but I've never been to Arielle's Grotto. Has anyone else ever done this -- ? What is the lounge like, and is there free coffee available?!!! Thanks, all.

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

A DH of a regular here is a regular Grad Night chaperone. I will see if he can post his experience from Wed nite.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by Sansarc View Post
    A friend and I are going as chaperones on Grad Night with a group of 10 kids this month. I've never attended a Grad Night before, and am wondering exactly what happens between 10 pm and 2 am at CA Adventure? Do the kids get to watch World of Color or a special night show? Is there fireworks? Dancing? I can't quite figure out what goes on during those four hours that makes Grad Night so special? Also, are all of the rides open at CA Adventure until 2 a.m. for the kids? Our Disney tickets came with info about a chaperone's lounge in Arielle's Grotto. I've been on the Little Mermaid ride, but I've never been to Arielle's Grotto. Has anyone else ever done this -- ? What is the lounge like, and is there free coffee available?!!! Thanks, all.
    Hi there!
    Hubby just got back last night actually --
    So let me see if I can answer all your questions based on what I've been told.
    The CA Adventure portion of Grad night has three dance areas set up: 1. the area by Monster's Inc., Flo's in Carsland, and the area by the Bakery at the wharf. (the tables and chairs are cleared so there is room to dance). There is different music played at each area by local DJs. The rides are open but they close them around 1:45 am to steer the kids towards World of Color. The WOC show is themed to music just for the kids. (i.e modern day music and not too much Disney music).
    I would suggest to you to suggest to the kids to ride the rides during the day time and enjoy the dancing and the WOC show between 10 pm and 2 am. The lines for the rides between 10 pm and 2 am will be long.
    There is no fireworks only WOC at DCA.
    Ariel's Grotto is a restaurant (over the bridge on your way to Cal Screamin and it is set up with refreshments for the chaperones. You will have a special wrist band to let you in. They will have complimentary veggie trays, fruit, cookies, coffee, water and sodas. I'd make use of the free coffee -- you will need it! haha!

Oh, this is so helpful, Hannahbelle. Thank you very much! Good to know about the dance areas and the WOC show. Would I be allowed to watch the WOC show, too, even as a chaperone? I would so love to see that. I'm planning to bring a paperback book with me in case I get tired and just want to stay in the lounge. My friend has to bring one of the girls home at midnight to a local beach community, so I'll be alone for a while there. I'm excited to go!

I just wanted to offer an update to this, based on my own experience, in case any other future chaperones are wondering -- but I have a feeling grad nights have ceased, or nearly ceased by now. Hannahbelle, you were correct in everything == except one thing caught me off-guard. My friend and I were given yellow wrist bands as chaperones. We thought this entitled us to walk all over CA Adventure to keep track of our kids, and also access the chaperone lounge. However, it wasn't enough. Each time we approached a music/dance venue, we were kindly told (by a CM) to return to the chaperone lounge and obtain and a pink wrist band, too. Disney had not sent us two extra pink wrist bands with our ticket package, but when I got to the chaperone lounge, and explained this, they handed me one of the last pink bands that they had. My friend had to use a pink band from an unused ticket in our package (the boy canceled at the very last minute), otherwise she would not have been able to go very far in CA Adventure. I was surprised at this, and kept asking why I needed both bands, but no one ever answered me. The lounge was very nice, and I appreciated the soft drinks and coffee. The snack tables were mainly fruits and veggies with dips -- which was fine, but I felt weary of this, and watching people helping themselves over and over again as if we were at a very large party. I'm happy the snacks were there, as well as some cookies, and I honestly don't know what else Disney could have offered -- I thought it was generous of them to offer anything at all. But it felt weird watching so many people scooping up the dips, as if we were at a salad bar. Salad bars always make me nervous, I guess. I sat outside and had a nice view of the WOC at 1:45 a.m. Another thing is, most of the non-thrill rides were closed. And most kids didn't seem to realize that they could ride RSR -- it had virtually no line. The shops closed except those on the main street area, but when I asked the CM when the shops were due to close -- none of them knew. Luckily, they stayed open until 2 a.m. and we were able to buy some souvenirs before we left. So to me, there were some glitches. But otherwise, I loved being a chaperone and seeing all of the teens having so much fun. I only saw a few incidences where kids led away by security. Otherwise, the kids were fun to watch and be around and I had a nice time.