Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Hojos, Castle Inn, or Hilton Anaheim?

Hojos, Castle Inn, or Hilton Anaheim?

Hello,

We are heading to Disneyland in July. We'd love some advice. Our main criteria is a CLEAN room. I currently have a great rate at the Hilton Anaheim. I've read that it's quite a walk and the elevators can take a while.
    We are also considering Hojos or the Castle Inn. Hilton is our cheapest choice. Is Hojos worth $150 a night? Is the Castle Inn clean? We will be staying four nights so we need a clean room. It would be nice to take a break in the afternoon so closer would be great. Any advice would really help us.

Thank you!!

2. # ADS

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I can't speak for Castle Inn, but we really like Hojo's. The ONLY disadvantage there is that the rooms don't come with breakfast, and there's no on-site eatery. But you get a little mini fridge and lots of room. And the rooms are clean.

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Thanks Lani! We've never stayed offsite. The stories of gross rooms and roaches have us worried.

We like the Hilton and don't find the walk to be far at all. It's about 15 minutes -- we either go east on Katella to Harbor, then straight north to the parks or go west on Katella to Disneyland Dr., then straight up to the GCH and into DtD. The rooms are clean, the staff is very nice (we've gotten some sweet upgrades), and the Hilton points are welcome.
    If we walk back to the hotel via Harbor, we stop at the ABC Mart or the 7-11 for snacks and drinks to enjoy in the room.

I've stayed at the Hilton, it was fine for cleanliness. Whether it is worth more to stay in a closer hotel depends on how you are going to use the parks and hotel. We want every second in the parks and the flexibility to rest in the room at a moments notice, to run back for jackets/dry clothes/blankets - for us it is worth it to stay closer. If we were only going to open and close the park one day with no break mid-day, the distance would not bother us.

Castle Inn is a pit, avoid it. Hojo's is a cool place to stay; has a funky 60's tiki vibe to it but, is a bit over-priced since they put the new pool. It does have free parking and internet, is next door to Mimi's for a good breakfast and is a very short walk to the park. The Hilton is very nice and has a similar pool setup. The drawback is there are charges for everything. Parking is $12-18/day and internet is $10/day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anjelah View Post
    Hello,

We are heading to Disneyland in July. We'd love some advice. Our main criteria is a CLEAN room. I currently have a great rate at the Hilton Anaheim. I've read that it's quite a walk and the elevators can take a while.
    We are also considering Hojos or the Castle Inn. Hilton is our cheapest choice. Is Hojos worth $150 a night? Is the Castle Inn clean? We will be staying four nights so we need a clean room. It would be nice to take a break in the afternoon so closer would be great. Any advice would really help us.

Thank you!!
    My first choice is the Hilton, second would be Hojo's. Castle is not on my list as a place we will stay.

Hojo's has free parking, Wifi, and Mimi's is across the street.

Hilton has nicer rooms, $17 parking, room service, and $12 wifi, unless you are a Gold member or an ATT DSL user (they are an ATT hotspot.)
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Thank you so much for all your responses! We have ruled out the Castle Inn. We have narrowed it down to the Hilton Anaheim and Hojos. I'm curious about the walk from the Hilton. We like Downtown Disney and like the idea of going West on Katella to Disneyland Drive. Is it a longer walk than going up Harbor?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anjelah View Post
    Thank you so much for all your responses! We have ruled out the Castle Inn. We have narrowed it down to the Hilton Anaheim and Hojos. I'm curious about the walk from the Hilton. We like Downtown Disney and like the idea of going West on Katella to Disneyland Drive. Is it a longer walk than going up Harbor?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help.
    Yes it is a lot longer. My kids prefer to cross Harbor at COnvention and get the Toy Story bus.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

As stated above, it is a longer walk (by about 10 minutes or so), but you have the advantage of going through the GCH and DtD to get to the Esplanade. We like to stop at Jamba Juice when we take that route.

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    As stated above, it is a longer walk (by about 10 minutes or so), but you have the advantage of going through the GCH and DtD
    I stayed at Anaheim Hilton once a year for last 3 years. It's ok. We keep going back cause the rates are reasonable. If y are worried about the walk (we never walked) we always use the ART shuttle. The ticket machine is right outside the Hilton doors and the shuttle is a 30 sec walk across. Y can buy like a 3 day ride pass. Also the shuttle makes only one stop on way to DL and on way back Hilton Anahiem is the first stop!

I enjoy the Hilton but it does nickel and dime you if not careful. As mentioned above, the ART shuttle is quite convenient but the walk isn't bad. One thing I wanted to note about the return walk via Harbor:

Cross at the intersection Harbor/Katella (7/11) and make a right down Katella

Past the Jolly Roger (I think it is still there) there will be a street (marked Hotel Way on Google maps) that leads to the Hilton. Turn left onto this street. This is a route to/from the Hilton parking garage and used by Hilton hotel services.

You can walk through the parking garage (beware moving vehicles) and into the hotel (you should be somewhat familiar with the parking garage elevator if parked here). Otherwise you will have to walk around to the hotel entrance and back through the lobby to the elevators. It's not much but my son and I find it quite the time saver.

Left Coast, West Coast, Best Coast

Thank you so much everyone! You have been such a huge help. We really appreciate it!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Ok. I've stayed at both of these properties.

Hilton is... a giant hotel. So you have hotel amenities. If I'm at a convention, I consider the Hilton for location. But. During a convention, the banks of elevators can get really backed up. And the hotel floors are BIG while the elevators, all 8 of them, are in the same central area. If your room is far from the elevators you can have quite the walk, down one hallway, then turning left or right down another. I've gotten lost before on floors. And I think the rooms are a bit small.

Hojos: There's a reason it's up to $150 a night. People like the Hojos. Every time I stay there, I think to myself that it just doesn't feel like that much of a value hotel compared to the big hotels in the area. I think the biggest thing that makes it feel like a not big hotel are the toiletries (bars of soap not bottles or tubes of body wash,) and the lack of on-site restaurant. But, as others have said, Mimi's is RIGHT there. And the rooms I get, at least, have coffee, microwaves and refrigerators. For me, a refrigerator is a big deal.

And my favorite part of Hojos, because it's so close to that signal on Harbor, we can cross Harbor and walk straight to the Parks without having to cross so many driveways, deal with smaller crowds and avoid the occasional time share shark. I've walked from the Convention area and my #1 choice is to walk from wherever I stay. I like to have that sense of control. Hojos walk is closer.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Good idea to stay away from Castle Inn, it is terrible and we will never stay there again.

We love Hojo, but have not stayed there since they started increasing the rates.

Have never stayed at a Hilton property down there.

One place you might want to check into is Best Western Stovals. They are at the southwest corner of DCA and is just a block away from Paradise Pier and The Grand Californian. We always walk to the park when we stay there because it is a lot faster than waiting for ART, so it is pretty close. We just walk north along the west side of DCA and cut through the Grand Californian, then we are right there in Downtown Disney. Their price is a little lower than Hojo and they serve a full breakfast (scrambled eggs, pancakes, breakfast meats, etc.).

If you want closer, try the Tropicana across the street from the main entrance. They aren't a pit, but they aren't the Hilton either. They also don't serve breakfast, but when your feet hurt at the end of the day it is a welcome sight to be able to see your hotel almost as soon as your exit the park gates.

Quote Originally Posted by megzrg View Post
    Good idea to stay away from Castle Inn, it is terrible and we will never stay there again.
    Can I ask why you thought Castle Inn was terrible? We're staying there in November. I believe they've refurbished the whole place and it's better than it used to be. Were you there before or after it was done up?