Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: California Adventure Strategies

California Adventure Strategies

I'm looking for some help with strategies for California Adventure. We have never ridden Radiator Springs Racers, so that is a ride we definitely want to get in. We plan to arrive a little before opening. Should we head straight to RSR to ride or get a fast pass and head to Toy Story Mania? The other must-rides on our list are: Soaring Over California, Tower of Terror, California Screamin' and Goofy's Sky School. Any help/advice people can give me would be greatly appreciated. Oh, we will be there on Thursday, June 12th, sandwiched between 2 grad nights, but the 12th isn't a grad night. Thanks!

2. # ADS

Hours aren't published yet for June 12, but judging from the calendar it'll likely be 8am to 10pm.

If it were me, I'd ride Toy Story Midway Mania first thing, then Screamin'. Since I like riding RSR after dark, I'd get in the FP line between 9:30am and 11:00am (or whenever the after dark FP's begin to go). Right before or after picking up RSR FP's, hop on Tower of Terror. Goofy's (and Screamin' and ToT) FP's can be had with fairly quick turnaround times throughout the late morning/afternoon so you could plan lunch around picking them up, eating, then riding. Unless it's changed, you can get Screamin' fastpasses and another concurrently. Same is true of RSR.

Aside from making sure you get RSR passes before they run out, the world is your oyster.

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

RSR is going to have some massive lines for the time being. Not knowing how many days but at least arrival date is around June 12th. I would say be in line at least half an a hour (or more) before gates open. Once that happens, you only need one person to stand in line to scan all admission tickets for the FP's. Disney was cracking down on ticket fraud a while back, requiring photo ID's for some tickets.

Chances are, your FP return time for RSR won't be for an hour or so later. Depending on your interests, Toy Story or TofT would be my first picks for standby lines. Soarin' is somewhat of a big people-eater ride, I would save that for the second or third ride. Another reminder is they are now enforcing the FP return times so make sure you make it back before it expires. I'm guessing the daily allotment will be gone by 11am.

If your group doesn't mind splitting up, you can utilize the Single Rider lines on California Screamin' and Radiator Springs Racers. We've gotten on RSR in 10-15 minutes that way, on more than one occasion. Once it took 30 min, but it was still shorter than the 60-75 minute standby wait. One unique aspect of using the RSR single rider line with a group is that you may end up racing someone else in your group! (Soarin' also has a single rider line, but I've heard that it takes as long or longer than the normal line.)

Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!

I would say you could get a lot of your list done before the morning ends. I like Midway's suggestion and plan to try it out if we get the opportunity to have our adult only trip. I like to head to Toy Story first as the lines get long and it loads slowly. We've never had any problems with FP for Screamin' or Goofy's Sky School. The return time is usually within an hour. Tower of Terror is often that way too, though sometimes when it's busy it has a longer time out. So I would get Tower and Soarin' FP earlier than Screamin' or Goofy's. Also, if you plan to do as Midway suggested, you may be able to ride Screamin' after Toy Story before you get in the FP ticket line for RSR. Once you get in the FP return line for RSR, your wait will likely be less than 20 minutes (unless it breaks down). The ride is a lot of fun. I would get a FP for it. Then if you want to ride again you could always try the single rider as someone suggested.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janis and Aaron View Post
    (Soarin' also has a single rider line, but I've heard that it takes as long or longer than the normal line.)
    I think it all depends on the CM, I've been able to get on Screamin faster then some that had passed me in the single rider line.
    "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Also depends on the Screamin line itself. I just got in the 20 minute standby line last June (on a Mon afternoon) and looked to see who had joined the SR line at the same time.. I beat them on but not by much. This was right after doing it at RSR. Posted 90 minutes, I was on and back off in 22 minutes.. (Timed it for purposes here )

OK, so what about riding RSR first thing? What is the standby line like compared to the line for the fastpast machines? I'm just trying to weigh the options. Also, if we would choose to do the single rider line, where is it located, compared to the regular & fastpass lines?

Single rider on left, fast pass in middle, standby on right all entrances together.

Send the rest of your party to the standby line and you get fast passes. Once the line starts moving it goes quickly. Many Cast members stationed to help keep things moving. They ask that one person approach the machines with tickets for the whole party.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Single rider on left, fast pass in middle, standby on right all entrances together.

Send the rest of your party to the standby line and you get fast passes. Once the line starts moving it goes quickly. Many Cast members stationed to help keep things moving. They ask that one person approach the machines with tickets for the whole party.
    Lately, CMs have been taking your tickets and using the FP machines for RSR (instead of guests putting tickets in on their own). Don't be daunted by the length of the FP line for RSR; it moves very quickly.
    Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
    Lately, CMs have been taking your tickets and using the FP machines for RSR (instead of guests putting tickets in on their own). Don't be daunted by the length of the FP line for RSR; it moves very quickly.
    They've been doing that from the beginning. More efficient!
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Thanks everyone. We will just plan to get in the fastpass machine line and try to be patient I am very excited to ride it for the first time. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    They've been doing that from the beginning. More efficient!
    Yes, it is, and I knew they did that but wasn't sure if it is an all the time thing.
    Which is why I said approach the machine.

My husband hates "back tracking" through the park, so I'm trying to figure out our best strategy. Our trip is mid-August so I don't know the park hours. I think we will plan on spending most of the day at DCA on a Friday (unless you all think Saturday would be less crowded?). Not sure if Friday at DCA is magic morning, but we won't have access but we would get to the park right when it opens.

I'm thinking about getting a Racers FP then heading to Toy Story. Next, Goofy Flight School and Soarin. I would then like to get a FP for World of Color (any advantages to getting that first? Better seating?)

How does that strategy sound?

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."

-Walt Disney

World of Color fast passes don't count so whenever you happen by. August, try before noon, just in case they run out.
    Radiator Springs Racers fps don't count either. Also, if it is just the 2 of you the single rider line is usually a good thing.

I visited DCA for a half day on Sunday (we live north in Ventura County and didn't want to drive back late, so even though I love it, we didn't plan to see World of Color). It was an early entry day (7-8), with the park opening to all at 8 AM.

It seems like they are no longer doing a line for RSF FP before park opening. When we arrived on Buena Vista Street around 7:50 a.m., there was no line built up for Fastpasses around Carthay Circle towards Hollywood Blvd (as we had seen and done last summer). Everyone was just gathered at the rope drop. We opted to go line up at rope drop in Condor Flats, as our plan was to go to TSMM first and we figured we'd get out of the way of all the guests making a beeline for Carsland. As such, I can't speak to what happened at rope drop with RSR FP, though there was definitely not a line, at least not one that I saw extending to Carthay as before.

We fast walked past GRR and the Wilderness Creek trail, through SF to Paradise Pier for TSMM after rope drop. We practically walked on to TSMM and then hubby went on Screamin' with a 5 minute wait. Meanwhile, I walked over to get an RSR FP. There was no line outside of the Bug's Life queue area, and I waited about 2 minutes to get 2 FP for 11:40 a.m. -12:40 p.m. This was at about 8:25 a.m. I then went to get a Soarin' FP (9:05-10:05) and met back up with my husband at the entrance to Carsland. We rode Mater's with less than a 10 minute wait--then did Ariel's, followed by Goofy's Sky School and the Golden Zephyr. We then went to use our Soarin' FP and then headed for Hollywood. We rode Monsters, watched Muppets, walked through Sorcerers in the Animation Building and watched Turtle Talk. By this point it was about 11:20-- we were amazed at how much we were able to get done in such a short amount of time! Note for Pink Floyd, I would suggest that for your party that wants to ride Tower of Terror--you could go grab a FP for it after riding Soarin'.

I love the Dill Pickle popcorn at the Pop Cone in Carsland, so we decided to head over there for a snack (fingers crossed they'd have it). We jumped on the Red Trolley outside the Animation Building and rode it to the Hollywood Hotel-- walking through Bugs Land to get to Carsland. Lucky me--they had dill pickle popcorn, we got a scoop of that and headed for the Wharf to grab a couple of beers to enjoy with our popcorn. Racers was not running at this time-- we were basically done in the Park, and just waiting on our FP at this point, so I was worried we may not get on. We grabbed a couple brews at the Beer Truck and snagged a table in the shade on the deck by Cocina Cocamonga. Around noon, we walked back towards Racers and fortunately it was up and running!! I assume they must have been a bit backlogged due to the stoppage, so the FP line took about 15 minutes, but I wasn't complaining! Curiously, the standby was posted at 120 minutes and they were holding guests "up top" and not moving them into the main queue. Perhaps to deter more people from getting in line while they worked through the FP backup??

As for your question about WOC FP, there is no advantage to getting a FP earlier or later and I recall last summer that they were available until mid afternoon most days, though to be safe, candles' suggestion of grabbing one before noon is a good one.

World of Color fast passes don't count so whenever you happen by. August, try before noon, just in case they run out.
    Radiator Springs Racers fps don't count either. Also, if it is just the 2 of you the single rider line is usually a good thing.
    So, does that mean that Radiator Springs FP aren't connected to the "grid"? Say, I could get a Radiator Springs FP and then a Soarnin one?

TIA
    "Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."

-Walt Disney

Exactly. Both RSR and WOC are off-grid. So yes, grab a FP for both and then grab one for Soarin'.

I highly suggest not going to RSR first thing if you don't like being in the middle of a pushy crowd of people. The cast members do a great job, but when I tried it I almost got run over by some moms with hummer strollers and some frat boys who really wanted to be the first people on the ride. Go anywhere but Carsland first. If you want to ride Toy Story do that first, if not, then Soarin or Tower or another "E ticket" ride that is not in Carsland. After you ride that you can go get a FP for RSR and then if everyone in your group is over 7 go use the Single Rider line for RSR. It is the best designed Single Rider line in either park and everyone else will be safely corralled in the standby line and won't be able to trample you. I often ride Luigi's before going in the Single Rider line and then do two or three rides in a row of RSR in the morning before moving on to the rest of the park. Usually the Single rider line is about 10-15 minutes until 10:30 or so when it starts to fill up. Even then it is 20-30 minutes most of the time 45 minutes if the park is crazy busy and the standby is at 3hours plus.

"Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not yet share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress." -Gandhi

Based on this morning's experience, I have a suggestion. If RSR gets closed and they stop distributing FPs while you're in line to get some give it as long as you're willing to wait before leaving. A ton of people left and the ride came back up quickly (5-10mins) so I ended up with a 9am return time on a day with 8am park opening. We arrived at the park at about opening. At about 10:30am the return time was 9pm and they were gone by 11am.

So, if we decided to go to TSM first thing and then go get a Fastpass for RSR, any guesses on how far out the time would be for the RSR fastpass? Also, how long is the wait for TSM first thing in the morning? What is the best route to go to get to it, passed Soarin and Grizzly River Run? Is the RSR fastpass still separate from other fastpasses?

Assuming you are there at rope drop (or EE rope drop), yes I would go around Soarin' and GRR to get out of the Carsland crowd. Yes, RSR is still off grid. The wait ffor TSMM has been reported as low as 15 minutes first thing. Return time on FP? Hard to say, it all depends on crowd levels, what day of the week, etc. Best time, probably mid afternoon.

We will be there on Thursday, June 12th and plan to be there at rope drop. Does anyone know what the RSR regular line runs in the morning? We may try the single rider line, if the regular line is too long and the FP are a long ways out.

Assuming you are there at rope drop (or EE rope drop), yes I would go around Soarin' and GRR to get out of the Carsland crowd. Yes, RSR is still off grid. The wait ffor TSMM has been reported as low as 15 minutes first thing. Return time on FP? Hard to say, it all depends on crowd levels, what day of the week, etc. Best time, probably mid afternoon.
    As an example--- we were there at opening (8 AM) last Sunday and waited less than 5 minutes for TSMM when we headed to that first via this suggested route. After our ride I went to get RSR FP, waited less than 5 minutes for those and received a return time of 11:40 a.m. to 12:40 p.m. at around 8:30 a.m.

That sounds pretty good, Snoopyfink. We will give that a shot and see what happens!