Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Scooter Suggestions

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Scooter Suggestions

We're clear that we're going to need a scooter for my mother. Her breathing is so labored (asthma) during the summer months plus a new hip means that there is no way she can walk. In the past, we've just done the Disney ones when she got into the park. This trip, I don't think she'll be able to walk from the parking lots/busses to the scooter rental. Plus, if they're all out, we're sunk.

SO.....we're driving. I think that it makes sense to get the ones that are collapsable and can get in/out of the care. She didn't like having to wait for the special busses (plus the time it takes to load), so I'm guessing not using the bus except for MK. Any suggestions? A little poking around online and I found something about only a few companies that WDW will let deliver to/from the resorts. It's like a preferred vendor list.

Thanks! Wandering into an area about which I know NOTHING about.

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi T...
    Been there, done that...
    Using one off of the preferred vendor list will make things a lot easier for you just for the drop off service. Let me look up something for you and Ill be right back.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Blog Entries

Ok, you may have to confirm this, but the vendors that are Disney Preferred are:
    Apple, Buena Vista Scooters, Best Price Mobility, Care medical and Scooter Bug.
    Being preferred allows them to drop off and pick up at bell services without you having to be there.

I looked on http://www.applescooter.com/ and they do have models that can disassemble easily. Most other vendors have scooters that are not modular where you can put them in the trunk of the TinaMobile.

While you mentioned a preference to driving to the parks, all the buses and other modes of transportation are accessible. Granted, you might have to wait if you are not the first one in line, but it is an option just in case. Did this with GusMom and it still worked out real well.

If your mom has not used a scooter before, take her to a store that offers them and have her practice a bit. I know that may sound silly, but, trust me - its worth it. (Ill tell you funny stories about GusMom later.)

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    If your mom has not used a scooter before, take her to a store that offers them and have her practice a bit. I know that may sound silly, but, trust me - its worth it. (Ill tell you funny stories about GusMom later.)
    Chiming in here that what Gus proposed is a really good idea. Next time she's at her local big grocery or big box store practice on the ones they have there.
    "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Scooter Suggestions

Hope you sort this out. I would say the bus drivers were really efficient getting EVCs on and off the buses last week. Better and quicker than I have seen for the last decade. Not sure if that's just because I'm used to busier periods when I visit? As for your mum practising driving I'd agree with that. My DD got run over by a guy who could not manage his EVC this trip and he shouted at her. She was stationary at the time!!!!! Not suggesting your mum would do that obviously. Just remembering.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

She did have a scooter before when she had blood clots in both lungs and in one leg (don't ask.....lol). She can drive them pretty well, but practice would be good. I'll have to run her to WalMart next week. LOL! Thanks for the input. I'll go do some shopping and price comparison.

The busses are good in theory, but she cannot wait long in the sun. Her meds are supposed to nix the sun. I'm starting to wonder whether this trip is a good idea or not.....I got a special SPF 50 sun umbrella for her to carry around too. I'm guessing she'll only be able to be with us 2-4 hours a day......that's why we were holding off on the scooter.

Thanks, all!

Crud. The ones that come apart have a 175 pound limit. She's a bit more.....Might HAVE to do the bus ones that won't collapse.

All fixed. To get a big enough battery pack, had to go with one that goes on the busses. The one that collapses only had a 3-6 hour battery. They will deliver it to the resort and pick it up from there. Price was just about 1/2 of the ones in the park, so that's good. We both feel much better about having the option of the scooter. She was willing to basically sit at the resort for most of the day, but I WAS NOT. This is a gift from her, so I want her to participate as much as she can.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Tina, I'm glad to see that you worked everything out. I was just going to chime in that I noticed a scooter delivery truck in front of Boardwalk hotel when I stayed a couple of weeks ago. I made sure to note the name was Buena Vista Scooters.

You know, even if your mother doesn't go to the parks, she will still have a better time around the resort with her scooter. It should make her coming's and goings more pleasant.

I hope you have a magical stay!
    GnP

Glad your sorted.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Blog Entries

A thought...
    You may want to ask for a room that is on the ground floor for the very reason that she will have a scooter.