Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by CariBelle View Post
    I have to admit that I'm feeling serious sadness about missing the DL Half. The first TMM event I'm sitting out and knowing that I won't be at the next two either stings a bit.

But with that said... I'm in for the Tink Half and 5K! My Mom is also doing the 5K, her first, and she is super excited.
    The Tink half course is so much better though. Maybe you could plan a trip to come cheer with us?

2. # ADS

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

CB- Tink is "our race"....you, HB and I. ❤️

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    The Tink half course is so much better though. Maybe you could plan a trip to come cheer with us?
    I do love the Tink course! Running through Angels Stadium is a big deal for me as an Angels fan though. I was trying to plan a trip to cheer, it's just bad timing. Lots of life stuff going on around then.

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    CB- Tink is "our race"....you, HB and I. ❤️
    So I totally did not just tear up at that! It is our race and I can't wait for next year!

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like registration for Tinker Bell has come to a screeching halt. We're in day three of registration and there hasn't been an update yet today. Spots are still available for the Challenge, the half marathon, and the 5k. Interesting...

I was browsing through the September 2014 Runner's World magazine on the flight home today and there were ads for WDW Marathon weekend (mentioning all the weekend events including both challenges), Princess (again, mentioning all the weekend events including GSC), and Tinker Bell which frankly looked like they recycled the original inaugural event ad with a couple of dates changed. No mention of the Tinker Bell 10k. No mention of the Never Land 5k (just a 'family 5k') and certainly no mention of a Pixie Dust Challenge. I know that lead time for magazines is several months but this gives more fuel to the idea that due to the negative feedback on the web regarding the weekend change that Pixie was a very last minute addition.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

The 10K shows as sold out and Pixie Dust Challenge is at 92%.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    The 10K shows as sold out and Pixie Dust Challenge is at 92%.
    Chipmunkstar noted the 10k sold out yesterday around 2:30 p.m. I spaced updating the Race Capacity forum until now (apologies).

I'm not sure which registration to believe for the rest. The runDisney page tracker shows Pixie at 92% and 5k at 75%. The runDisney registration page shows Pixie at 90% and the 5k at 80%. So, which shall we go with?
    RunningFool

It really needs to sell out so I don't change my mind and register on a whim...

"If you can dream it, you can do it."
    "You can't run from trouble, there ain't no place that far."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeygirlforever View Post
    Oddly, still no registration movement as of this morning. Half, challenge, and 5k spots remain available.
    RunningFool

I just saw Disney post that Pandora is now the official sponsor of the 2015 Tinkerbell 1/2. I assume this means some sort of special trinket from them will be available for purchase.

Was Dooney & Burke an "official sponsor" or did they just have the exclusive bags for sale. One of my friends really wanted a D&B tinkerbell bag, I'm curious is they will still be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeygirlforever View Post
    Right now that's how I'm feeling about the 5k, and I don't even really have much interest in the Disney 5ks!

Considering how the 1/2 and 5k registrations are going so far, RunDisney has to really reconsider not having the 1/2 on Mother's Day and move the 5K (and this would apply to all their 5K's), which is family friendly, away from Fridays where children are at school and parents are at work. It boggled my mind when I saw other family races run on a Friday.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by valenciajoe View Post
    It boggled my mind when I saw other family races run on a Friday.
    I agree with you - but they've done that to themselves. For the DL half weekend last year, they did the 5K on Saturday still, and then the 10K after it. AND it was unseasonably warm even for Southern California. But that hour+ later start time for the 10K was really tough (plus it puts road and park closures an hour later, too.

So if they're going to do 10Ks, then the 5Ks really do need to be on Friday.
    Cathy

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I miss the days of the first Neverland 5k....Friday night! That was awesome.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    I miss the days of the first Neverland 5k....Friday night! That was awesome.
    Best 5k ever!
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by valenciajoe View Post
    Considering how the 1/2 and 5k registrations are going so far, RunDisney has to really reconsider not having the 1/2 on Mother's Day and move the 5K (and this would apply to all their 5K's), which is family friendly, away from Fridays where children are at school and parents are at work. It boggled my mind when I saw other family races run on a Friday.
    Unfortunately, runDisney 5ks continue to sell out quickly so while it's a pain for many, the numbers aren't (yet) backing up a reason to move from Friday. The Star Wars 5k sold out in about an hour. Disneyland 5k took a day to reach capacity. 2015 Princess Royal Family 5k took 14 days (down from over 8 months in 2014). WDW 5k (held on a Thursday) closed in less than 3 hours. And the Never Land 5k is still weeks ahead of 2014.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Just a quick reminder if you are considering signing up for the Tinker Bell Half Marathon or the Pixie Dust Challenge, prices go up this Wednesday September 3rd.

Tinker Bell Half Marathon presented by PANDORA Jewelry

$195 by September 2, 2014
    $210 between September 3 and September 23, 2014
    $225 on or after September 24, 2014

Pixie Dust Challenge presented by PANDORA Jewelry

$320 by September 2, 2014
    $345 between September 3 and September 23, 2014
    $370 on or after September 24, 2014

RunningFool

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

We made it to the first price increase without a sell-out yet!!

Take THAT "Plan Tinker Bell on Mother's Day" runDisney!!

Let's not make this mistake ever again, m'K?

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    We made it to the first price increase without a sell-out yet!!

Take THAT "Plan Tinker Bell on Mother's Day" runDisney!!

Let's not make this mistake ever again, m'K?
    And now that Star Wars has taken Tink's old spot, where do you think they would move Tink? I really don't get the vitriol.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    And now that Star Wars has taken Tink's old spot, where do you think they would move Tink? I really don't get the vitriol.
    I'd like to see Star Wars the first week of May because that makes sense.

I'd like to see Tink back in January.

But, I'm not sure there's a good plan for both events. I wouldn't even mind if they keep Star Wars in January, but Mother's Day Weekend for Tink is just bad. Tink isn't a family weekend for many women - it's a girls getaway weekend. Whereas Mother's Day is a family weekend. Of course, my personal issue is that I was really committed to being a Tink Legacy as long as possible. the Mother's Day thing pretty much ended that. I'm disappointed that I have friends who I like doing events with, who won't do events that weekend.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to see Star Wars the first week of May because that makes sense.
    I disagree. That would actually be the worst time for them to hold the Star Wars race at Disneyland because Disney would be competing with themselves, given that Star Wars weekends in WDW are around that time. With the four months separation between the race on the left coast and the weekends on the right coast, Disney is giving Star Wars fans the opportunity to attend both, which of course would be good for Disney as well.

Tink isn't a family weekend for many women - it's a girls getaway weekend. Whereas Mother's Day is a family weekend.
    I don't begin to know what the patterns are of who attends the Tink races, but I don't know that I agree that Mother's Day is generally a family weekend. People spend that weekend in different ways depending on the dynamics of their life situations.

And I know that the Tink races aren't selling out immediately like the Avengers and Star Wars races did, but then, I don't think you can really use those two races as the benchmarks for comparison. Those two races have an appeal to groups that weren't previously part of the runDisney universe. Given that they added a new challenge to Tink and that they moved the date, I think the fact that they've almost sold out the race nine months beforehand is pretty good.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I disagree. That would actually be the worst time for them to hold the Star Wars race at Disneyland because Disney would be competing with themselves, given that Star Wars weekends in WDW are around that time. With the four months separation between the race on the left coast and the weekends on the right coast, Disney is giving Star Wars fans the opportunity to attend both, which of course would be good for Disney as well.
    Ok, I can be totally talked out of first week of May for SW.

I don't begin to know what the patterns are of who attends the Tink races, but I don't know that I agree that Mother's Day is generally a family weekend. People spend that weekend in different ways depending on the dynamics of their life situations.

And I know that the Tink races aren't selling out immediately like the Avengers and Star Wars races did, but then, I don't think you can really use those two races as the benchmarks for comparison. Those two races have an appeal to groups that weren't previously part of the runDisney universe. Given that they added a new challenge to Tink and that they moved the date, I think the fact that they've almost sold out the race nine months beforehand is pretty good.
    I'd like to see Disney return the Mother's Day brunch to the resort. I think that weekend is complicated for a lot of reasons - College graduations, high school proms, Mother's Day - and I know that these events and activities won't be a conflict for every demographic group.

Disneyland and Dumbo Dare sold out quickly like Avengers and Star Wars did and Tink previously sold out fast like they did.

I'm also willing to entertain other reasons for why it didn't sell out as quickly: Is the price point finally catching up to the demand? Is the early announcement and people not being able (or willing) to pay for so many events they haven't run yet causing the slow down?

It's getting easier for me to sit out rD events. And, honestly, if it weren't for the Legacy thing, I'd be out of Tink. I'm really trying to make it to the 5 year mark.

I though SW weekends in WDW were late May?

Ok just looked they began mid May, but definitely not May the 4th be with you.

Headless Chicken
    I'm also willing to entertain other reasons for why it didn't sell out as quickly: Is the price point finally catching up to the demand? Is the early announcement and people not being able (or willing) to pay for so many events they haven't run yet causing the slow down?
    My theory: they introduced two NEW races prior to Tink registration - Avengers and Star Wars. A lot of people will prioritize those since they are inaugurals, thus leaving almost no budget to also run Tink.

As for the choice of weekend, I see it as a way to get moms and kids running together. There are a LOT of running moms. This gives them an opportunity to run together as a team to celebrate the day.

As for me, it gives me something to look forward to that weekend, since Mother's Day for me is like Valentine's Day for single people. Although, should I ever become a mom, I would still celebrate it by running Tink, just for the excuse of the 3+ hour "me time".
    First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    I though SW weekends in WDW were late May?

Ok just looked they began mid May, but definitely not May the 4th be with you.
    Right, but I would venture to guess that most people aren't going to be able to hit both coasts in a matter of a couple weeks time, whereas a couple months time is a lot more doable.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    As for the choice of weekend, I see it as a way to get moms and kids running together. There are a LOT of running moms. This gives them an opportunity to run together as a team to celebrate the day.
    I TOTALLY COMPLETELY recognize that my little personal polling is not statistically significant. Completely. But. In my opinion and speaking to the moms I know who run and/or do these kind of events: We don't want to run together on Mother's Day.

Again - it goes back to the Legacy thing. But I don't want to tie up all my Mother's Days with Tink.

And I like it - but my mom and my sister don't. So if I want to spend Mother's Day with other members of my family, but I'm tied into this Tink thing...

It would be nice for the people who do this every once in a while, maybe. Or it could be a goal race. But for people who come back year after year, or regularly? It's yucky.

I'll stop now. Just from the feedback I've heard, moms aren't loving the whole Mother's Day Race thing.