Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Screen Reviews: Maleficent

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Screen Reviews: Maleficent

Maleficent by Alex Stroup

Disney brings another animated classic to the big screen in live-action form.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

I had a chance to see this at an advance screening, and honestly I have to agree more with the sense of the reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes (at 47% as I write this). The film just doesn't do it for me.

I will agree that Angelina Jolie really does pull off the Maleficent role. However, the story itself just falls flat and the CGI is almost painful to watch in places. The MoCap for the three fairies brings back memories of Polar Express it's so poorly rendered.

While watching it I kept feeling that they were trying to produce a new Wicked, while missing most of the elements that makes Wicked so popular. While you feel some sympathy for Maleficent, there isn't enough heart in the story to fully engage you with the characters. Aurora is dull, Philip is randomly dropped into the movie a few times, the chemistry between the three fairies seems forced, and Stefan's decent into madness isn't scripted well enough to make the audience care. The emotional arc of the entire film just doesn't have the impact it could with better writing.

I have no desire to see this and I hope Jolie's Maleficent stays out of the parks after the film's run is over. Marc Davis' Maleficent will always be the real deal to me. Thank goodness Tim Burton's Alice renditions didn't replace the Disney animated version's characters in the parks.

John

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Blog Entries

I'll be most excited if I've finally liked a movie I reviewed more than the people commenting on the review.

I just got back from watching Maleficent and I have to disagree with the negative reviews. I really enjoyed the story. I went keeping an open mind and not constantly comparing this version to any other, so that I could just let the story unfold, I did not constantly nitpick or look for defects in production quality. Now after watching I actually like this version better than any that solely make Maleficent the evil villain without any back story. As far as the CGI, I didn't find fault with it, I was able to become immersed into the fairy world.

Character interaction did not seem forced, the King's descent into madness made me want to get away from the darkness of the castle and return to the moors. I'm not sure what others were expecting Aurora to be like, I found her to be charming. It was easy to imagine Maleficent remembering what it was like to be young and carefree again when she was spending time with Aurora.

Was this the best movie I have ever seen? No, but I did enjoy it immensely and don't regret the money spent to go see it.

WDW 2008 off-site, WDW 2010 Polynesian (Club), WDW Polynesian Dec 15-21 2011 (Club), WDW WL Nov 20-Nov 27 2014

I went to see X-Men: Days of Future Past and I felt the computer rendering of the Sentinels to be badly done, but it didn't take away from the storyline. There are limits to CGI and this just shows that it should be used sparingly at best. Then again, when it is done right, you don't notice. Even with movies that don't have animated characters, the environments are all computer generated.