Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend

Yeah, it's in Disneyland! I'm in for the 5K and the Rebel Challenge! I would love an R2 medal and I'm hoping for the Millennium Falcon for the Rebel Challenge. I'm already contemplating outfits. I agree with Mickeygirlforever, thank goodness for AP registration.

I see the Ortho surgeon for my foot tomorrow, hopefully he will give me good news about training for the DDD or I might have to defer to next year.

2. # ADS

Headless Chicken

Just noticed this on the RunDisney official event page, and this seems like a new policy to me (please tell me if I'm wrong):

The Star Wars 5K is NOT a timed event but in order to receive a finisher medal, participants must maintain a 16 minute per mile pace requirement.

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Olegc - I have to say I LOVE your new picture! Who is the gentleman with you in the graduation cap?
    My son Mark. 3rd child of 4 (24 girl, 21 junior ucla girl, mark senior at Irvine High, and an 8th grade boy). We have a family tradition where I meet them at their senior trip or their band trip and take a photo with the mickey mortar board. One more to go. mark is attending Notre Dame in the fall.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Starting a list of "I'm thinking about" Team MP participants. Subject to change with official registration.
    I am thinking about the 10k - even though I signed up for the Avenger half. Not sure....
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    I've summarized the announcement and details in a blog post.

Some other details:
    • Participants will need to pick up their own packet and bib from the expo; there will not be accommodations for having another person pick it up.
    • Proof of time is required for anyone stating a finish time for the half marathon that is less than 3:15.
    • Proof of time must be submitted by October 10, 2014. No corral changes will be allowed after that time.
    • Only races after January 1, 2013 may be used for proof of time.
    • Proceeds from the race will benefit the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana, California.

The Wookiee Welcome Party will take place in Tomorrowland on Thursday night from 9:30-11:30 p.m. The event features Star Wars characters as well as Disney characters in Star Wars garb posing for photos, a dessert buffet, other entertainment, and select Tomorrowland attractions for guests to enjoy.
    Wookiee Welcome Party?!?! Sign me up! P-man and I will be there for sure.

Count Team Fairiestoneofall IN for this event. My charity group spots have been ordered!

Me- All three events! 5k and Challenge
    DH-Possibly all three but certainly the Challenge
    DS(J)- 10k
    DS(P)- 5k
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    And I agree with Adriennek - use your 'secret' weapon on her!
    It's not a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    What kind of fabric do you use for those? Cotton or flannel? I have some I'd love to give you for the cause to help weed out some of my fabric stash.
    Flaxseed we use Flannel. Neck Coolers, regular cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    Just noticed this on the RunDisney official event page, and this seems like a new policy to me (please tell me if I'm wrong):

The Star Wars 5K is NOT a timed event but in order to receive a finisher medal, participants must maintain a 16 minute per mile pace requirement.
    INTERESTING. I wonder if that has something to do with Dopey. Or if they say that so if they run out of medals they won't be "obligated." OR if it's because people are just lollygagging on purpose and they want to give incentive to those people to pick it up. Curious. OR if it's because of the big social media fuss after the Tink 10K and people from 5Ks moving up to 10Ks with unrealistic expectations. Lots of theories.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Hmm... Interesting description of the Star Wars Half marathon course. It says the course will run through California Adventure and PAST Disneyland Park. No run down Main Street or through the castle?

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolie View Post
    Yeah, it's in Disneyland! I'm in for the 5K and the Rebel Challenge! I would love an R2 medal and I'm hoping for the Millennium Falcon for the Rebel Challenge.
    I'm actually hoping for the Death Star as the rebel challenge medal. After all, that's what the rebels had to conquer. The husband joked that one of the medals could be an x-wing, so it would have all those pointy bits and make it even more dangerous than the Tink 10K medal with all the pointy wing tips.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

See, to me the medal is a symbol of the conquering force, not what they conquered, that's why I thought of the Millennium Falcon. I think a Death Star or an x-wing would be just as cool, though.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I'd love for the plastic 5K medal to be ewoks.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    The husband joked that one of the medals could be an x-wing, so it would have all those pointy bits and make it even more dangerous than the Tink 10K medal with all the pointy wing tips.
    This made my day. For all those that are sore after they run, they have to take care while wearing their medals to not injure themselves further.

I am thinking about doing the challenge, since my family would probably disown me if I didn't try to sign up (they are huge Star Wars fans). That also means that I may need to dress up like Captain Rex from the Star Tours ride.
    - Spring MouseAdventures: Decades advanced: our goal? to finish. mission accomplished!
    - december 09 reindeer games: 26th place, & drenched all the way through!
    - spring 09 mouse adventure (train, trams, and monorails): advanced division, with a newbie! the dominoes and the jigsaw puzzle nearly killed us!
    - fall 08 mouse adventures: third place in the 101 division!

My guess is the Rebel Challenge medal will be based on the Rebel Alliance symbol. I like Ewoks for the 5k and R2D2 for the 10k. Yoda for the kids races? There are SO many possibilities!

I don't usually do costumes but since I'm "just" doing the 5k with my son, I'm thinking about a theme. Of course the only mother / son combos are really Padme / Luke (which would have to be kick-a** Padme from Episode 2, not whiny Padme from Episode 3) or Anakin and his mom, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't want to be her. My son does have the (Episode 3) Anakin hair going, though.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

I'm in for the Rebel Challenge! Hubby (essentialgeek) is too! BUT...

The Wed-Fri of that week is final exam week for two of my sons, both of whom are huge HUGE Star Wars fans, (one is a XC runner), and both want to run the 10k. If we leave on Friday at noon (after finals) and the traffic does not cooperate, that would be the end of the entire event for us, unless runDisney will keep their expo open until 8pm-9pm

Not being able to pick up a packet (for the whole family) is a huge PITA for us at times like these.

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    The husband joked that one of the medals could be an x-wing, so it would have all those pointy bits and make it even more dangerous than the Tink 10K medal with all the pointy wing tips.
    Hahaha I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who thought this! I couldn't even wear it around the park afterward!

I'm also a fan of the adorable ewoks, I'd love that idea.

That is interesting it doesn't talk about running through DL park itself. They're always pretty vague about route though...
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."
    "You can't run from trouble, there ain't no place that far."

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    I wonder if that has something to do with Dopey. Or if they say that so if they run out of medals they won't be "obligated." OR if it's because people are just lollygagging on purpose and they want to give incentive to those people to pick it up. Curious. OR if it's because of the big social media fuss after the Tink 10K and people from 5Ks moving up to 10Ks with unrealistic expectations. Lots of theories.
    They might want to offer incentive for people to keep moving, instead of lollygagging and waiting 20 minutes at each meet-and-greet location. They are sure to get a ton of non-athletes signing up for the 5K (because most able-bodied people, even if they are out of shape and do not train, can walk 3.1 miles--even if it means they will be quite sore the next day), so maybe it's their way of saying they still want you to take this semi-seriously and keep moving on the course?

But yeah... I couldn't BELIEVE the amount of fuss some folks made after the Tink 5K.

At the same time, I DO see why it upset many people. Even the 5K is pretty expensive by race registration standards. Those who don't sign up for a lot of races were in for a bit of sticker shock. You essentially pay the same as what you pay for a hard ticket special event, and feel you're treated unfairly just for being slower than others. I can see that.

This warning puts people on notice. It's nice because it's totally voluntary; they aren't requiring participants to maintain that pace. But they're incentivizing it. Pretty clever.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    I'm in for the Rebel Challenge! Hubby (essentialgeek) is too! BUT...

The Wed-Fri of that week is final exam week for two of my sons, both of whom are huge HUGE Star Wars fans, (one is a XC runner), and both want to run the 10k. If we leave on Friday at noon (after finals) and the traffic does not cooperate, that would be the end of the entire event for us, unless runDisney will keep their expo open until 8pm-9pm

Not being able to pick up a packet (for the whole family) is a huge PITA for us at times like these.
    Unacceptable! You must get your sons' teachers to change their exam dates!!
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    I don't usually do costumes but since I'm "just" doing the 5k with my son, I'm thinking about a theme. Of course the only mother / son combos are really Padme / Luke (which would have to be kick-a** Padme from Episode 2, not whiny Padme from Episode 3) or Anakin and his mom, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't want to be her. My son does have the (Episode 3) Anakin hair going, though.
    See, I'm not planning on signing up for the 5K but this is what makes me think the 5K will be THE event to go to to check out all the cosplay!! The costumes will be amazing! You're going to get the hardcore non-athlete Star Wars fans signing up for the 5K, and since the distance is shorter, people will be far more willing to dress up for this (I don't know about you, but I couldn't imagine going in full costume for 13.1 miles, for example).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    See, I'm not planning on signing up for the 5K but this is what makes me think the 5K will be THE event to go to to check out all the cosplay!! The costumes will be amazing! You're going to get the hardcore non-athlete Star Wars fans signing up for the 5K, and since the distance is shorter, people will be far more willing to dress up for this (I don't know about you, but I couldn't imagine going in full costume for 13.1 miles, for example).
    you could just hang out at the finish line, right?

Headless Chicken
    Flaxseed we use Flannel. Neck Coolers, regular cotton.
    I will gather some of both over the next couple weeks while I re-organize. By the way, M & L Fabrics on Knott and Ball has great Disney flannels and cottons too.

Or if they say that so if they run out of medals they won't be "obligated."
    And, they could save money by ordering less medals and letting them "run out" past the 16-min. pace.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Cman is considering dressing as an Ewok.

I think I just found a possible marketing plan.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    The Wed-Fri of that week is final exam week for two of my sons, both of whom are huge HUGE Star Wars fans, (one is a XC runner), and both want to run the 10k. If we leave on Friday at noon (after finals) and the traffic does not cooperate, that would be the end of the entire event for us, unless runDisney will keep their expo open until 8pm-9pm.
    I thought parents could pick up for minor children (or are they not minors?)
    Cathy

My husband and I are both thinking about doing the challenge. It's just a matter of money, because I definitely want to do the Tink half and 10k, too. And DDD in 2015. So, we're trying to decide if we should do it or not. But I love Star Wars and I may regret it if I pass.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I thought parents could pick up for minor children (or are they not minors?)
    For minors, yes.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    you could just hang out at the finish line, right?
    I could, but that would mean I'd have to get there around 6 onward IN THE MORNING. Ayeeeee!!!!!

Headless Chicken
    Cman is considering dressing as an Ewok.

I think I just found a possible marketing plan.
    OMG. Pitch your DH dressing as Leia (slave girl OR classic w/buns and white SparkleSkirt) if a certain fundraising goal is met. Then take my money!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A Shellie Day View Post
    My husband and I are both thinking about doing the challenge. It's just a matter of money, because I definitely want to do the Tink half and 10k, too. And DDD in 2015. So, we're trying to decide if we should do it or not. But I love Star Wars and I may regret it if I pass.
    You are doing your first half in November. I would do just the 10K or the half just two months later, but not both, since you have yet to run a back-to-back and would be denied that challenge medal if swept. Then, the 10K and half at Tink to prep/test for the DDD. Or, even do the Star Wars 5K and 10K to experience a "light" version of a back-to-back.