Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend

2015 Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend

Whoa! This morning RunDisney has a teaser on their FB page. I'm on my phone, so I can't post it. #letthewookiewin is the hashtag they are using.

2. # ADS

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post
    Whoa! This morning RunDisney has a teaser on their FB page. I'm on my phone, so I can't post it. #letthewookiewin is the hashtag they are using.
    Woo hoo!

Facebook video link here. Not yet on YouTube.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

There's another video featuring Chewie that they released on twitter.

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

wow. i'm so shocked. i didn't see this coming. there's a huge surprise.

not.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries

And from some of the posted comments on social media, the East Coasters are none too happy about it being in Disneyland.

RunningFool

Awesome! Half and 10K for the "Rebel Challenge"... Even more $$$ out of the bank!!! Oh well, you only live once!

I guess we can expect Star Wars/Sierra Nevada Corporation themed merch/apparel too.

I'm glad I'll have a winter race now even though I won't be heading to WDW!

Glad I'm on the west coast
    Someone keep an eye out and let me know if they find out when AP early registration is. On the rundisney site it shows open registration on June 10...only 2 weeks from now!!

"If you can dream it, you can do it."
    "You can't run from trouble, there ain't no place that far."

Blog Entries

Looks like registration opens June 10th. No word on any early AP/DVC registration options at this time.

RunningFool

I've summarized the announcement and details in a blog post.

Some other details:

• Participants will need to pick up their own packet and bib from the expo; there will not be accommodations for having another person pick it up.
    • Proof of time is required for anyone stating a finish time for the half marathon that is less than 3:15.
    • Proof of time must be submitted by October 10, 2014. No corral changes will be allowed after that time.
    • Only races after January 1, 2013 may be used for proof of time.
    • Proceeds from the race will benefit the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana, California.

The Wookiee Welcome Party will take place in Tomorrowland on Thursday night from 9:30-11:30 p.m. The event features Star Wars characters as well as Disney characters in Star Wars garb posing for photos, a dessert buffet, other entertainment, and select Tomorrowland attractions for guests to enjoy.

runDisney just tweeted early AP registration is on June 4th at noon ET.

Headless Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    wow. i'm so shocked. i didn't see this coming. there's a huge surprise.

not.
    So... is your oldest boy already begging to run this one?
    First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Headless Chicken

Kind of sad they didn't keep Tink in January and add this to March to coincide with the Star Wars days. Would have made more sense.

But, of course, they will get my money regardless.

Yikes, now I have to redo my budget for June to include the 5k cost in to this.

Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    And from some of the posted comments on social media, the East Coasters are none too happy about it being in Disneyland.
    I expect that whichever coast they decided to put the race, the people on the other coast wouldn't be happy. But I'm seriously baffled by all the people who think the race should be at WDW because of Star Wars weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeygirlforever View Post
    Someone keep an eye out and let me know if they find out when AP early registration is. On the rundisney site it shows open registration on June 10...only 2 weeks from now!!
    Early registration for APs and DVC folks is on June 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    Kind of sad they didn't keep Tink in January and add this to March to coincide with the Star Wars days.
    March?

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Kind of sad they didn't keep Tink in January and add this to March to coincide with the Star Wars days. Would have made more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    March?
    Legoland does Star Wars DAYS, often in March But I don't suppose THAT is a cross-promotion they would be going for.

Headless Chicken
    March?
    Doh. I meant May. I don't pay attention to my posts at much while at work.

I expect that whichever coast they decided to put the race, the people on the other coast wouldn't be happy. But I'm seriously baffled by all the people who think the race should be at WDW because of Star Wars weekends.
    Yeah, it will always cause the other group to make a fuss. And with the amount of races they have now, it's pretty unrealistic for people to expect to do all of the races. I'm glad they are adding more to Disneyland since the demand is so high in CA and so far they have been on the short end with respect to race weekends.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    So... is your oldest boy already begging to run this one?
    Uhm, I may have committed him to running the challenge as part of a certain charity team. Already. He might've been already strategizing his fundraising campaign. Just maybe.

He's already said he's going to be sewing up flaxseed pillows.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I was hoping to focus on full marathons to BQ next year (for anyone following my saga I am mostly spinning/cycling to try to heal up my Achilles tendinitis) but some races, I don't think I can pass up.

Who is thinking of doing which events? RunningFool, I assume you're doing all three?

I'm contemplating the challenge... not sure I want to do the 5K on top of that... but that will be the most fun, with the most amount of costumes.

Oh dear, what to do, what to do.

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I was hoping to focus on full marathons to BQ next year (for anyone following my saga I am mostly spinning/cycling to try to heal up my Achilles tendinitis) but some races, I don't think I can pass up.

Who is thinking of doing which events? RunningFool, I assume you're doing all three?

I'm contemplating the challenge... not sure I want to do the 5K on top of that... but that will be the most fun, with the most amount of costumes.

Yeah, I'm in for the Challenge and the 5k. Total sucker for inaugural events. And sooooo very thankful I'm going Goofy in 2015 and not Dopey! Might actually make it through the two weeks without injury.
    RunningFool

I'm already in the dog house after my "stealth" inclusion of Wine and Dine into our 2014 calendar--"I really did talk to you about this, babe. You may have been on the phone with a client at the time, but we did have this discussion." I guess I may go all out and just add this one too. I had hoped my Star Wars geek of a man would be all over it, but he wants to buy a new quad copter instead. Sometimes it's not fun being a responsible adult.

To everyone else--this is going to ROCK!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Legoland does Star Wars DAYS, often in March But I don't suppose THAT is a cross-promotion they would be going for.
    Oh, cool, I didn't know that. Maybe I'll remember that next year. I still haven't been to Legoland to see any of the Star Wars stuff.

Doh. I meant May.
    OK, just checking in case I missed something!

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post

Yup, I'm in for the 5K and Challenge. That is, if I can get my foot to continue to cooperate this year. That means my line up is DDD in August, Avengers Half in November, and Rebel Challenge in January. I never thought I'd be one of those people...