Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2015 Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend

Whoa! This morning RunDisney has a teaser on their FB page. I'm on my phone, so I can't post it. #letthewookiewin is the hashtag they are using.

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post
    Whoa! This morning RunDisney has a teaser on their FB page. I'm on my phone, so I can't post it. #letthewookiewin is the hashtag they are using.
    Woo hoo!

Facebook video link here. Not yet on YouTube.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

There's another video featuring Chewie that they released on twitter.

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

wow. i'm so shocked. i didn't see this coming. there's a huge surprise.

not.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries

And from some of the posted comments on social media, the East Coasters are none too happy about it being in Disneyland.

RunningFool

Awesome! Half and 10K for the "Rebel Challenge"... Even more $$$ out of the bank!!! Oh well, you only live once!

I guess we can expect Star Wars/Sierra Nevada Corporation themed merch/apparel too.

Headless Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    wow. i'm so shocked. i didn't see this coming. there's a huge surprise.

not.
    So... is your oldest boy already begging to run this one?
    First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

I'm already in the dog house after my "stealth" inclusion of Wine and Dine into our 2014 calendar--"I really did talk to you about this, babe. You may have been on the phone with a client at the time, but we did have this discussion." I guess I may go all out and just add this one too. I had hoped my Star Wars geek of a man would be all over it, but he wants to buy a new quad copter instead. Sometimes it's not fun being a responsible adult.

To everyone else--this is going to ROCK!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

so an interesting comment on twitter that I saw - by adding more races, and raising prices - does this preclude doing other things in the parks (like attraction adds) because the races are so popular and the dollars flow? I know you all (and I am just starting) like to run and combining with Disney makes it more fun - but it does create an interesting discussion point. Maybe for another thread...

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

So glad to see this official but the biggest obstacle for us is it's the week after our (first? only?) full at WDW, for which we are already signed up. We've already decided that Kevin gets first dibs on anything Star Wars, so most likely he'll do the challenge and I may do the 5k with cub #1, who will be 5. I think I'll be content with this anyway since I don't know how my body will respond to a full. And I'll pencil in the challenge for 2016 for sure.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    so an interesting comment on twitter that I saw - by adding more races, and raising prices - does this preclude doing other things in the parks (like attraction adds) because the races are so popular and the dollars flow? I know you all (and I am just starting) like to run and combining with Disney makes it more fun - but it does create an interesting discussion point. Maybe for another thread...
    I agree to some extent the runDisney races are cannibalizing some money from non-race trips... but I suspect they are banking on earning more money from those who choose to bring their families for the race when they would otherwise not visit at all. And honestly, other than the morning when everyone's over on the course (either racing or spectating), the rest of the days are open for attractions and park visiting.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I agree to some extent the runDisney races are cannibalizing some money from non-race trips... but I suspect they are banking on earning more money from those who choose to bring their families for the race when they would otherwise not visit at all. And honestly, other than the morning when everyone's over on the course (either racing or spectating), the rest of the days are open for attractions and park visiting.
    true - I guess the point was if you attract someone with a race - and they bring their family - then the pressure to put in a new attraction or something like that may not be as great because you are driving park attendance with an alternate event. I know its only 3 or 4 weekends a year but that's a lot of runners and their families.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

DH is considering it, because after running Tink and Princess for the pink C2C, he was looking for something more "manly" 😄 We signed up for Avengers, and he "thinking about" this one. If he does register, I'll probably join him, but honestly, I'm not all that interested in SW.
    I've gotta say, reading the intense reaction on FB was interesting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    DH is considering it, because after running Tink and Princess for the pink C2C, he was looking for something more "manly" We signed up for Avengers, and he "thinking about" this one. If he does register, I'll probably join him, but honestly, I'm not all that interested in SW.
    I've gotta say, reading the intense reaction on FB was interesting!
    Yeah, there is never a dull moment on the runDisney FB site when a new race is announced.
    RunningFool

Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2015

I'm planning on the challenge but probably not the 5k just for the extra day.

I am totally in for this! Just not this year, or next year most likely. School has to come first. Wifey even said she wants to do this. That makes 3 halves for her when she never wanted to do one. The force is strong with this one! Hopefully in 2 and a half years. I always miss the inaugural races.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Challenge - Me, Doc and MKrock

10K only: Cman and Sman Krock

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Loving my sweet pea.

Glad I'll be in some good company going from Goofy to The Rebel Challenge.

I'm currently "helping" my sister figure out that instead of flying back to her home in CO after Goofy she really wants to fly with me back to CA and then run Star Wars. I might have mentioned a 6 park day. Unfortunately I don't think the park hours are going to help is in mid January.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by THpoohbear View Post

I'm currently "helping" my sister figure out that instead of flying back to her home in CO after Goofy she really wants to fly with me back to CA and then run Star Wars. I might have mentioned a 6 park day. Unfortunately I don't think the park hours are going to help is in mid January.
    I can think of two little people who wouldn't mind that at ALL...

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's what I was going to do to get my C2C, until they changed Tink to later in the year.

And I agree with Adriennek - use your 'secret' weapon on her!
    Cathy

Unfortunately I don't think the park hours are going to help is in mid January.
    We arrived in CA the Wednesday before Tinkerbell. I think we rode RSR 4-5 times in a few hours. Everything was like it used to be on our mid winter trips years ago. That alone justifies a FL/CA trip.

Coast to Coast for me next year!!!

Star Wars will be my first half, then Wine and Dine in November!!

My husband and I are both thinking about doing the challenge. It's just a matter of money, because I definitely want to do the Tink half and 10k, too. And DDD in 2015. So, we're trying to decide if we should do it or not. But I love Star Wars and I may regret it if I pass.

Headless Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Cman is considering dressing as an Ewok.

I think I just found a possible marketing plan.
    OMG. Pitch your DH dressing as Leia (slave girl OR classic w/buns and white SparkleSkirt) if a certain fundraising goal is met. Then take my money!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A Shellie Day View Post
    My husband and I are both thinking about doing the challenge. It's just a matter of money, because I definitely want to do the Tink half and 10k, too. And DDD in 2015. So, we're trying to decide if we should do it or not. But I love Star Wars and I may regret it if I pass.
    You are doing your first half in November. I would do just the 10K or the half just two months later, but not both, since you have yet to run a back-to-back and would be denied that challenge medal if swept. Then, the 10K and half at Tink to prep/test for the DDD. Or, even do the Star Wars 5K and 10K to experience a "light" version of a back-to-back.
    First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.