Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Solo Early December Trip

Solo Early December Trip

I'm planning a trip for Early December (currently thinking around 12/4-12/9). The main reason for the trip is to take full advantage of the Christmas festivities and celebrate my Birthday. I've never stayed on property, so I have absolutely no clue where I should stay. I also have a premiere pass and want to take advantage of discounts. I'm somewhat flexible in budget, but would definitely like to stay under $200/night, which seems possible from my early research. Any suggestions for an ultimate location? Also, when is the best time to book? Thanks everyone!

2015: Star Wars 10k + Avengers 10k
    2016: Star Wars 10k, Paris Half and 5k, Avengers Half
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k
    MouseAdventure Addict- Usually "Beware the Groove"

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A great place to spend your birthday for sure!!

For the price range, you are looking at a Moderate or a Value resort. Now, the question is - what you you want in a resort hotel? I only ask that because I think everyone has a fave in both those categories so its a really open ended question.

Personally, I really like Coronado Springs and Riverside. I think between the themes and the features of the resorts, you get a big bang for your buck.

As for when to book? Now would be a good time. (General rule: Book when you can, get discounts later if offered.)

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For a moderate, for a single female, I recommend French Quarter, though it is the first one excluded from discounts. The other 3 moderates have multiple bus stops, and the stop nearest your room may require you walking through a parking lot. I find Riverside to not be too bad to get out at the main stop and walk through the middle of the resort, to avoid parking lots. But at Carib Beach, only one doesn't require a parking lot trek (IIRC), and that's not in the middle of the resort at all. At Coronado, you can also get out at the main stop and walk through the resort, but it COULD be a healthy trek to your room.

I just find that returning to my room later at night, with light crowds, I'm really uncomfortable walking through parking lots, to the point it would impact where I will stay.

Fortunately, none of the Values require parking lot walking.

Cathy

Its been my experience that I don't care as much about amenities on solo trips. Reason being I tend to spend even less time at the resort when I have freedom to hop around wherever I want (which you obviously will too with the AP).
    If you think you will still spend time exploring the resort, taking pictures, etc., then it would depend on your favorite theme style. Even then you might have the freedom and time to explore resorts you aren't staying at and just go with a value for half the cost.

For instance, if you are going to resort hop deluxe resorts to see all the Christmas decorations...it seems less important for your resort to have everything.

You might consider which park you want to spend the most time in to decide...and look at the Values/Moderates closest to that park--as well as ease of travel. Some, but not all of the values share a bus stop...

Joey

Thank you all for the excellent advice! I'm certain I'll be seeking more as I continue to plan!

2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k

I also thought to mention if you want a nicer resort and can break the 200 mark... Wilderness Lodge should be under 300 with discount and it's awesome! Boat to MK, electric water pageant visible from the hot tub, great rooms and common areas, nice pool bar near the water....

Discounts just aren't listed that far out yet...

Joey

And to add even more choices, I would vote for a Royal Room at Riverside. The room has a plush over the top Disney feel to it without being expensive. I also enjoy the food choices at Riverside and French Quarter. Also, there is a boat from there that will take you to the Downtown Disney area where you can enjoy more holiday decorations.

GnP

I wound up with a Riverside Royal room using the discount code just announced. So excited for staying on property for the first time!

Riverside is a beautiful resort - you're gonna love it!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Nikara View Post
    I wound up with a Riverside Royal room using the discount code just announced. So excited for staying on property for the first time!
    How wonderful! You are going to love it!
    GnP

CSR does a reat job decorating for x-mas.
    http://coronado.forumotion.com/t40-christmas-at-nado

CSR also has a great main pool area and also offers many deluxe amenities at a mod price. CSR has the largest hot tub of the mods and one of the longest pool slides on Disney property.

The rooms have queen beds, a sliding wooden door separating the sink area from the room but only one sink.

CSR also offer business class level rooms with lounge access. Other amenities include a fitness center, spa, free wi-fi, tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night/dance club.

The resort offers the same toiletries as the deluxes (except GF). CSR has separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo at the other mods and values (a small thing, I know, but it means I don't have to pack shampoo and conditioner).

Bus service is terrific and is not shared with another resort.

Check out my CSR website and forum below. It helped with my planning tremendously. There is also a CSR Forum with lots of information including up-to-date convention and rehab schedules. Have a great trip!