Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Parenting in the Parks: Is That All There Is? Disney Vacation Side Trips

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Parenting in the Parks: Is That All There Is? Disney Vacation Side Trips

Is That All There Is? Disney Vacation Side Trips by Adrienne Krock

The Parenting Panel writes about the sites they visit on Disney theme park vacations - besides the Disney theme parks.

Read it here!

I would highly recommend the train museum in Perris if you are a train enthusiast. My high school Physics teachers was one of the founders, and we took several field trips there.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by H20loo View Post
    I would highly recommend the train museum in Perris if you are a train enthusiast. My high school Physics teachers was one of the founders, and we took several field trips there.
    We used to be members there when our boys were younger and we had more free time to get out there. Getting ready for this article, I'm noticing some "new to me" things at the museum. We'll need to make another trip out there when we can find a weekend to get there. We used to enjoy the Spring Rail Fest but won't be able to make it this year.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Disneyland

This place is easy to go check out other areas. Our last trip, we started with the San Diego Zoo. After being there, it was nothing compared to Animal Kingdom. But still, it was nice to have the kids see some animals. We also took the time to go to Shadow Mountain Church where David Jeremiah pastors. I listen to him on radio all the time and always wanted to see him in person. The kids loved the size of their children's group, too!

Orlando

I'm with Chris and leaving WDW is something I don't like to do. On our first trip (Honeymoon), we went to WDW for 6 days. Then we spent took some excursions. Being a Florida Gator fan, we went up to Gainesville so that I could walk on the field. That was really cool. We visited the Kennedy Space Center which was alright. The cool thing was going to St. Augustine and going to the Fountain of Youth museum. It has a place where Ponce De Leon landed first in the Americas, and that was neat. We also ate at this great fish place called the Santa Maria.

On our second trip, we left in the middle of the Disney trip to catch a Gospel concert which used to be held in Lakeland each year. It was a great concert, but it but a hole right in the middle of my "escape". I didn't like having to get a rental, then get directions, then get lost on the way back to the resort. Don't know if I'll ever do that again. With all there is to do at WDW, I really don't see a need to do anything else but get on a Disney bus.
    Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

While I am far from an Orlando expert, I do try to get out of the Disney bubble when I visit. My husband and I attend spring training baseball which gives us an opportunity to see a bit more of Florida. (We are from California.) One place I truly love to visit is the Morse Museum in Winter Park. It is the perfect, small, specialized museum. It is the best place to see Louis Comfort Tiffany's bountiful talents. http://www.morsemuseum.org/ They have compiled the best collection of Tiffany lamps and windows that I know of. I usually spend a few hours at the Morse, grab a little lunch in Winter Park which is charming, full of lovely little art galleries and cafes. Then I hit the Outlets for a bit of shopping before returning to Disney World. It is a lovely break from the stimulation that can be Disney. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney World and am busily planning my next vacation, but it is nice to get a break. We also enjoy driving to Cocoa Beach and experiencing the soft sugar like sand of that beach.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGator View Post
    Disneyland

This place is easy to go check out other areas. Our last trip, we started with the San Diego Zoo. After being there, it was nothing compared to Animal Kingdom. But still, it was nice to have the kids see some animals.
    Have you ever been to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park? I actually had the opposite reaction when I visited Animal Kingdom - It's nothing compared to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park (fka Wild Animal Park.) If you haven't been to the SD Safari Park, you need to check it out.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe