Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Card Games: Deuces Wild -- Post-game Thread

Simba's Pride had a great time playing our first Card Games. We were so excited when this format was brought back as we missed it the first time around.

Hidden quest. Genius. (No, we didn't find it. Situational awareness is NOT our strong point. The hidden quest T-shirt could have been right in front of us and we wouldn't have seen it.)

Started in Downtown Disney, gambled with the quarter and lost, got the Q and K and not quite enough of the point cards but felt we needed to move on. Went from there to our first attempt at Deuces Wild, got gibberish and decided to go into Disneyland and try again later.

Disneyland went well for us. Pretty sure we only missed one each of the point cards of Shields and Masks (found Mechanical Kingdoms after we'd already turned in, and never found the Dr Jones crate). Did all of the face cards there except gave up on the library one on Main Street (holy, we definitely do not think like Alex!) I thought charades would be much more time consuming than it was, MA staff had the organization down on that one! I worked the Queen word search and Danielle did trivia while Kevin was on the raft to the island. Yay, multitasking.

After DL we tried again at Deuces Wild and almost gave up until we figured out BOTH of our mistakes. #1 - we hadn't counted the hexagon bricks with no names on them, so were in the wrong section. #2 - I was crossing off the states we found, rather than including / keeping them (even after so many years playing, READ EVERYTHING strikes again.) Once I realized that mistake it was a fairly easy decode. Felt like Amazing Race finding the bike with the card on it! Got the answer and then stood in the very long line to enter DCA for the last hour of the game.

DCA strategy was to grab a few quick point cards (ended up getting 4 of them), and make sure we turned those in by 4pm so we could get all the face cards. Teresa had a good laugh at my expense when we managed to assemble the Route 66 puzzle on my clipboard, then the wind caught it when I stood up and it fell all over the ground and a not-Disney-friendly word may have escaped my mouth. Thought the K and Q were relatively easy but we were thankful at that point in the game.

I know everyone has their preferences but we definitely love the games where there's too much to do and you have to strategize to finish. Thanks to the awesome MA staff at every station. We'll be back on the Dark Side for the fall... going forward we'll be staff from now on other than Invitationals, at least until the cubs are old enough to play.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

2. # ADS

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    (holy, we definitely do not think like Alex!)
    But, frankly, everybody should.

Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    Did all of the face cards there except gave up on the library one on Main Street (holy, we definitely do not think like Alex!)
    I didn't grok that one in beta testing either, so you're not alone.

Looking forward to working with you guys on the next games!

Team Eyes of Mara had so much fun, thank you! We definitely have some new converts with the new team members we brought along! Any word on when results will be posted? We had to take off before the awards, short to have missed it!

We started in Hats, I am definitely happy we deicided to head to Masks because we could have been at DtD all day for sure. You all totally rocked the event. The people eater attractions being closed made it feel extra crowded so we were glad to not have to stand in many lines to play!

This was my first time doing MA, and it was amazing! Our scatter card was Masks, so we finished that and Bears, opting for the less crowded park. My family loved the Jack Quest for Bears, considering my sister drove Route 66 this summer. During the mask Jack Quest though, we lost a lot of time because the men on the team couldn't understand our charades. I am so pumped for November, only half a year away!

The Upside Down Cakes had a good time, or course, but thought this was pretty challenging! We got 2nd place in the last Card Games, so we didn't do as well as we had hoped. Sunday was my birthday, so a win would have made it the best birthday since the year Julie Andrews wished me a Happy Birthday!

I think our biggest downfall was doing things in the wrong order and time management. We started in DCA, which took us 3 1/2 hours! We did end up getting everything done there and went out to the Esplanade for the Deuces Wild. We counted the bricks correctly, but first chose the wrong section of bricks to collect the states. Once we finally figured that out, we headed to DL and worked on the Mask quests. Loved the charades, of course! We had Dumbo both times now! My sister and I were cracking up at the word search. We were wondering what a "mother pamphlet" was. We finally figured that one out. I think if we had started in DL, we probably would have gotten those done quicker and had more time to do some of the other two. Oh well. We neglected to pick up all the face card quests in time, so we didn't have a chance at half of them. How much were they worth, anyway?

We have only ever found the hidden quest once. We were the team that missed getting 1st place one game because we waved at Bev and Tracy instead of talking to them to get our points. I don't remember seeing the t-shirt, but we probably wouldn't have figured it out if we had!

I really like the Card Games format. Any format that we know if we have the right answer is good for me! I know that must be so much more work for the creators of the quests, since there are so many more! We so appreciate all the work that goes along with every aspect. Thank you!

It seemed like a good idea at the time had a great time. This was only the second time for two of our players and the first MA for the other two. We started in DCA and pretty quickly decided that the 2 of hats was going to be our quickest way to start the deuces wild quest. We had a couple of missteps that cost us some time but finally we were on our way. We finished up a few more cards and then headed for the esplanade. Wow could there have been more people coming through security on Sunday. We missed about 6 of the states that we needed but with a bit of guessing we were able to crack the code.

We came with a team of friends for their first MA (Scouts Honor) and they are already planning strategy for the fall.

Thanks for a great event, we hope to see you in the fall

The Green Boa Divas never made it out of Disneyland. We started with Shields, and the Matterhorn and Eye Spies took a LONG time. The first quest we did was at Village Haus, and one of our members who was playing for the first time worked that one. I was concentrating on showing her how to play that I missed a very crucial rule of MA: "Assume nothing, Read EVERYTHING." So, we got the wrong answer, of course. I think we did okay on all of the other quests, and the main thing is that we had fun and didn't get frustrated (which, ahem, has happened in the past... a few times).

I really enjoyed the shields on the Matterhorn - thank you for saying "group of shields." It kept us from looking at the shields in the queues.

My son (2nd time to play) and his girlfriend (first time player) were solving the peacock feathers at Aladdin's Oasis, and I took the free time to point to the palm tree to Lesley. I told her that the tree was planted in the 1800's, and casually pointed up to it, and she said "THE CRATE." ha ha We never would have seen it otherwise.

Thank you to the entire crew for your hard work, friendly hospitality, and ingenious puzzles. Although we missed the Hidden Quest, other friends who were in the park later told us that they saw her. That was clever. It was a very long day for you, and we enjoyed every minute of it.

Also... I thought Alex was hilarious (comparing his evil puzzle to WWII, etc.... very funny).
    Mary Jo
    MouseAdventure DIS Green Boa Diva

Blog Entries

Our scatter station was in Downtown Disney. I think the thing that sunk us was spending too much time on Hats - but we DID finish it & felt good about our answers. We did the "nickels" portion of the coin toss, so got 45 points for that. We got the Q & K quests right. The K was actually a snap -- just a few boxes into coloring in the grid, one team member told the guy who was working the puzzle that he didn't have to do any more -- the answer was just over his shoulder. Sweet! I knew from previous MA quests that I should write down all the names/dates on the wall & not just the ones from the three listed years. I was able to finish that quest while we were on the monorail heading into Tomorrowland. We went to shields next because DH had figured out the Village Haus question on the monorail & we knew we had a head start on that. There were three (I think) lower-level answers we gave up on, and one on which I made an educated (CORRECT!) guess. We tore out the shields, figured out what characters were needed -- and then past MA experience kicked in again, so we headed to the mailboxes in Toontown. I was stumped on what to do next, but one of our guys had been looking at the tiny shields on the Shield cards, thinking they were relevant to the Hidden Quest. Of course, they weren't -- but it clicked in my brain that those shields were relevant to the quest. I had two answers ready -- one being the highest number & the other the highest card. I asked for clarification on that, but I believe they were accepting either answer as correct.

We got a lot of the eye spies & got at least SOME of the trivia. We just ran out of time & couldn't go get the Masks quests done. Spending so much time in DTD hurt us later in the day.
    That seems to be our pattern. We work really hard & really long on the first section of quests -- then find our groove and do well on things but run out of time. *sigh*

I was very pleased at how well we were all working together. Getting the answer for the quest in Grand Californian was a total team effort & we figured it out pretty quickly.

I really liked being able to find out right off the bat when we got the lower-card quests correct. Positive reinforcement is a good thing.

Team Happy Place - Winners Spring 2009 MouseAdventure: Trains, Trams & Monorails
    Would rather be looking at the back side of water...
    Everything in life is only for now.
    Nope - it never ends.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janis and Aaron View Post
    A big "ditto" from us on that! It was scary when AVP said at the post-game ceremony that there wouldn't have been a Spring MA this year if Alex hadn't been available to write this one. What would we do without MA??? Six months is a long time to wait between them - a year would be unbearable!
    Try waiting 2 years (or more!) No WDW MA this year at all
    (But I understand, Staff, and fully support your decision, and it's helping me with my admission media, so it's good, but some people just need to know how good they have it!)
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by ntz4bbl View Post

It asked what were the 2 kinds of candy in the end cars of the candy train? The candy train was in the window of the candy store.
    Yes, but what was the Evil Paragraph - the starting point in the newspaper to solve the puzzle to get to the question?

The Evil paragraph is something that has been used in past MouseAdventures. It's one of those times where playing in the past really helps, though I believe that there were some basic instructions in the quest information. Basically, you took the back page of the newspaper and then the first number referred to the column to use (there were 4 columns, so the first number was always between 1-4). The second number was the paragraph in that column. The third number was the row within that paragraph (and the instructions said to use the header as #1). The fourth was the word in that row, and if used the fifth number(s) were the letters within that word.

ETA, you knew to use the back page because the quest referred to the Entertainment Guide or similar and that was the label of the back page.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Blog Entries

The back page of the newspaper available in the park.

The structure of the numbers w-x-y-z-(a-c) was Column, Item within column, line with item, word within line, then letter(s) within word.

I think it was the 8 of masks, with the pirate's map on it. Where is that map located?

It was near Pieces of Eight in New Orleans Square. There is an alcove between the shop entrances, with a Pirate themed fortune teller machine (Like Zoltar, but a pirate)

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    It was near Pieces of Eight in New Orleans Square. There is an alcove between the shop entrances, with a Pirate themed fortune teller machine (Like Zoltar, but a pirate)
    Oh shoot! I know exactly where you're talking about. We walked past another team huddled around it while we were working on a different quest (the book in the window) and I thought, "Make a mental note to go back and check that!" Of course I completely forgot...

Thanks!

MA Master

That was the easiest of the few quests we got correct. I have been getting fortunes from Fortune Red since the 60's!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Blog Entries

The final scores for all teams.

Advanced

Basic

Quote Originally Posted by Alex S. View Post

Advanced

Basic
    Is there any way to see Family teams broken out?
    Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!

Wow, Teamboat Willie would NOT have predicted 9th place in Basic! We must have done some good guessing right at the end.

Thanks for a very fun event! We started in DCA with Bears, and did two full laps around the park in pursuit of answers. That gecko will continue to haunt my dreams... We loved the Route 66 quest, and were sitting there singing the song as we put together the puzzle. We connected the sides of the King, but didn't know what to do next, and we figured out (most of) the question for the Queen, but couldn't find the Silver Lake Sisters anywhere... oh well

Then it was off to the Esplanade for the Deuces Wild! My team thought it would take forever, and we weren't 100% sure we were in the correct section of bricks, so it was super exciting to see words form when we started to read from those states. We headed out of security, saw a few bikes parked and thought "must be it", found the one with the letters, and read off the question... before we realized we didn't have a park map, and we didn't want to go through security twice! So we wrote down the last stop for every line, then wrote down our answer as we walked into Disneyland.

We figured that the Hats would have us walking all over the place, so we decided to do the two suits inside Disneyland instead. We raced through the Shields, did the Jack (we got the number of acorns right on the first try!) and then worked on the puzzles on the cards as we walked over to work on the Masks. We got about 2/3 of the lower numbers, worked out the King very quickly, and then decided to do the Jack so that our other 2 members could work on trivia while I rafted to the island and back. We got all of those right on the first try too, but by the time I got back it was 4:00, so we only had time to do the Queen before turn-in time. We must have messed something up about the word search, because the middle of the question was garbled, but we could still mostly make out what it said.

We were very impressed by the staff members, who were very friendly and helpful all day. I liked getting the feedback throughout the day, but the smaller tasks were (for me) less fun than the bigger puzzles. It was too much go here, do that, find this, and not much to do besides plot an efficient route; but I did especially love the King of Masks and (if we'd had time to do it) the King of Shields. Our team was also a HUGE fan of the Jack puzzles we got to do... I think we'd happily do an event that was all Jacks, all the time

Thank you for such a wonderful event! And the extra quests mean we'll have more to do when we go back to the parks next time too, which is always a plus; something to tide us over until next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex S. View Post

Advanced

Basic
    Thanks Alex!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janis and Aaron View Post
    Is there any way to see Family teams broken out?
    The Basic list now indicates which teams were family division.

Niwel,
    Trivia answers?

Thank you for the scores.

Mary Jo
    MouseAdventure DIS Green Boa Diva

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SunolMouse View Post
    Niwel,
    Trivia answers?
    I will have them posted Tomorrow on here.