Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Parenting in the Parks: Passing the Time in Lines

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Parenting in the Parks: Passing the Time in Lines

Passing the Time in Lines by Adrienne Krock

The Parenting Panel shares ideas for keeping the kids occupied in lines at Disney theme parks.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Do you really need to pass time in the lines? In general, if the lines are 30 minutes and less, there isn't much more you need to do. For lines longer than 30 minutes, it is up to parent to decide if waiting is worth it. I generally think it isn't worth it. I'll skip out on the ride and instead visit a ride that's less crowded.

Disney has done a lot to make the queues more interactive. This means the parent doesn't need to worry much about keeping their kids occupied.

When visiting WDW, take full advantage of Fastpass+. They are absolutely essential for the most popular rides and meet and greets. You need FP+ for Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, and the Elsa and Anna Meet and Greet. At Disneyland, there isn't FP+, but Fastpass is a bit more of a hassle and most young kids cannot go on the thrill rides. You might not need it as much, but definitely get it for the Carsland Racers.

A rousing game of I spy is a great way for my kids to pass time in line. Odd enough they never actually "spy" something near by. It's always just some random item from their mind....ahh well at least we are passing time, right? Another stand by is the hand slapping game. You know, the one where you place the hands on top of each other and try to move your hands away faster then the bottom hands. I don't know if that made sense...but when ever we start playing that game people all around us start playing as well.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I feel bad recommending electronics, but we get a kick out of playing "Heads Up".

It's a lot of fun, gets everyone involved, and sometimes we engage other people in line, too.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    I feel bad recommending electronics, but we get a kick out of playing "Heads Up".

It's a lot of fun, gets everyone involved, and sometimes we engage other people in line, too.
    We discovered this about 2 years ago from a Disney guide. If we are waiting, we are playing. It is really fun to play while waiting for Fantasmic! We always have a crowd around us playing. We played in line for Mickey's Magical Map, and had CMs playing too. And when we got in line for Monster's Inc, and the line was 25 mins, DFF4 girls seemed to enjoy learning it. It's fun because there are a couple ways to play (hints or act it out). And if you play with us, you learn all sorts of family secrets........
    Planning 3 trips at once...

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    And when we got in line for Monster's Inc, and the line was 25 mins, DFF4 girls seemed to enjoy learning it. It's fun because there are a couple ways to play (hints or act it out). And if you play with us, you learn all sorts of family secrets........
    We were all surprised that you were waiting in such a long line. They did like it, we need to download it on our phones. And and its fun to just listen to what your kids associate with some things to come up with the answers.