Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: More Mouse: The Vacation Kingdom of the World: A Fresh Look at Future World

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: The Vacation Kingdom of the World: A Fresh Look at Future World

The Vacation Kingdom of the World: A Fresh Look at Future World by Tom Richards

Today we take a fresh look at some old updates on some Future World classics.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

My 2 cents:

I prefer the old Spaceship Earth. Some of the new Judi Dench (love her!) quips make me wince. Some of the effects need some attention. For example the Prehistoric scene where they fight the Mastadon is so dark you can barely see it when you're there, but maybe that's just my aging eyesight. And it's been like forever since I can recall seeing the effect of the animated chariot racing down the street in the Roman scene. I prefer the old finale to the interactive animated one. Still this is a must do attraction every visit for me because there's hardly much of a wait in my experience and the audio-animatronic scenes ARE lovely. I especially love the medieval and Renaissance scenes.

I dearly miss the Universe of Energy and I only go on Ellen's Energy Adventure when I'm with someone who wants to go. Basically because I can't stand Ellen Degeneres but of course, that's just me. I miss the grandeur and seriousness of the original recipe Energy pavillion. I fine the Ellen/Jeopardy schtick really dated and annoying.

I love Test Track, the original though, more than the update. This is a must do for us every trip. We usually just do the singlr rider option multiple times unless the stand by wait is reasonable (20 minutes or less). Having said that I loved World of Motion and wish Disney had felt there was room for both.

Looking forward to Part 2!

John

I had just started a conversation somewhere else about how much I love Spaceship Earth. Being a Bond fan, I love "M's" voice. The scenes are much better than when I first went on it in 2002, and my kids love the interaction. But the biggie is the music. I can listen to that all day long, it's so moving.

As for Ellen, I did this ride once. 7 trips and I've done it once. It was sooooo awful we vowed never to return. Like the previous poster, Ellen drives me up a wall. I kept hoping that one of the dinosaurs would eat her!!! To this day, I can't hear her voice without cringing, but that's just me.

And thank you for not writing yet another article slamming Disney and bemoaning that Nemo is a part of the Living Seas. My kids really like this attraction, which you couldn't say about the film they used to play. Epcot is an amusement park, not a 8th grade field trip museum. When everyone understands that, Nemo being with the Seas will suddenly make sense. Thanks for the article. Definitely enjoyed it.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

Our family is of two minds about the updated attractions. Half we think are great improvements, and half are terrible. We LOVE Ellen's Energy Adventure, far more than we ever loved the original. Our kids, of course, never saw the original, but we grown-ups remember that it was very dry. We also LOVE the improvements to The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The hydrolators were just terrible, and the attraction overall wasn't all that interesting. Spaceship Earth has been updated quite nicely, although we're not big fans of the "downhill" side of the attraction (we'd rather have stuff to look at than the touch-screen stuff). Soarin' is a vast improvement over Food Rocks, for sure.

On the other hand, we miss Horizons and World of Motion terribly. We miss Dreamfinder, although we do like the current Imagination fairly well. More than anything, we miss the songs that used to be in all the attractions. Sure, we listen to the CDs a lot, but we loved "Tomorrow's Child," "Living With the Land," "New Horizons," "It's Fun to Be Free," "Making Memories" and so many others. If they'd put songs back into the rides, we'd probably enjoy them more. I think that's why we still like Imagination, because there's still a song in it.