Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Last Minute Trip - 5/2-4 - am I crazy?

You could be a big pig too!

Last Minute Trip - 5/2-4 - am I crazy?

Due to a work trip that has come up it looks like I can swing being at WDW from 5/2 (evening) to 5/4. I have only been once before for a 2 day trip (I'm a CA girl) and I will be solo so I figure I can take it easy no matter what the crowds are like. With such a last minute deal it is all icing on the cake!

That being said, I am a tad worried because there are next to no on-property hotels available for that weekend plus there is the Expedition Everest challenge and the Flower and Garden festival. Is it going to be too hectic? I was thinking of staying at the Radisson Lake Buena Vista and hitting MK on the Saturday and AK on the Sunday. Any advice for navigating this busy weekend?

Oh, and BTW, I am early-to-rise so I will be at rope drop and and I use a ECV when in the parks.

Disneyland trips: '72, '77' 78 '79, '80, '86, '99, '06, '07, '08, '09 , '11, '13, '14, '15 and '16
    WDW solo trips: '13, '14, and '16

"My favorite part of Disneyland is spending time with my family" -- DD, age 10

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Crazy? No. Im sure that what you are seeing along the lines of availability is related to the runDisney event and the fact that its a weekend. It may still be busy but Im betting it wont be horrible. Just plan to get there as early as you can and take your time and most of all - enjoy!

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

GO!!!! If it is crazy busy (I don't think it will be), then do the off the beaten path stuff. Heck, just BEING there makes sense in this case!!! Have fun!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Go, Go! You are going to have the best time ever. I love going for just a couple of days and live here! It's wonderful to go at your pace, look at the little details that you've always wanted to see, etc. It's amazing! Oh yes, and everyone is right about the race. But don't worry, you'll be able to find a room.

So let's see if I can help. Here's some tips.
    For a hotel, check out the Swan and Dolphin they are right behind Epcot. Since you are staying for such a short time, you will be happier if you can stay very close to a park and use Disney transportation.
    Dining. If you are dining alone then pick a place with an amazing view or something special to watch. I enjoy eating at Pinnochio House because I like to wave at the people on the IASW boats. The Columbia House also has a great view and I really enjoy listening to Sony Eclipse in Tomorrowland.
    The little things. Print out or bookmark some interesting articles that talk about some of the smaller details that you think are cool. And go track them down! I've seen so much now that I enjoy going solo!

I hope you have the most magical of trips!!
    GnP..... I'm trying to squeeze in a trip in May also.

You could be a big pig too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodnplenty View Post
    Dining. If you are dining alone then pick a place with an amazing view or something special to watch. I enjoy eating at Pinnochio House because I like to wave at the people on the IASW boats. The Columbia House also has a great view and I really enjoy listening to Sony Eclipse in Tomorrowland.
    Thanks for the tips! And the well wishes, from the others. I am so excited now. Work is really crazy right now and I did not get to take time off with my kids when they were on spring break. The work trip I am taking is really necessary and fitting WDW in the middle is perfect timing!

Oh! And I ended up getting a room at All-Star Movies. It is cheaper than the Radisson I was looking at and will have some Disney Magic as an added bonus. I know it will likely be crazy with Cheerleaders but being able to use the bus transportation means I can rent an ECV from an outside company and I know those are always cheaper and better than the Disney ones.

Yay - 4 more days!
    Disneyland trips: '72, '77' 78 '79, '80, '86, '99, '06, '07, '08, '09 , '11, '13, '14, '15 and '16
    WDW solo trips: '13, '14, and '16

"My favorite part of Disneyland is spending time with my family" -- DD, age 10

Oh heck, I'd just be happy walking around the lake at Epcot just to be there. Link your tickets to the FP+ to get the things you really want to do in the bag and then as TinaMouse said, do the off beat stuff. My tip listen to the British Revolution and eat some Fish and Chips, everyone needs Britishing up sometimes!

Cheers Larry.

Check out my Disney Blog - Photographing Disney, Mainly Photos but some of the old Larry Humour/Humor - http://www.photographingdisney.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidHair View Post
    Thanks for the tips! And the well wishes, from the others. I am so excited now. Work is really crazy right now and I did not get to take time off with my kids when they were on spring break. The work trip I am taking is really necessary and fitting WDW in the middle is perfect timing!

Oh! And I ended up getting a room at All-Star Movies. It is cheaper than the Radisson I was looking at and will have some Disney Magic as an added bonus. I know it will likely be crazy with Cheerleaders but being able to use the bus transportation means I can rent an ECV from an outside company and I know those are always cheaper and better than the Disney ones.

Yay - 4 more days!
    Wonderful !! So you are all set. Trust me, you are really going to enjoy yourself on this solo trip. At first you might feel a little funny, but not for long. You'll get to do everything you want to do, right when you want to do it. So go and make some special memories. And have a great time!

GnP

Visiting WDW Since 1982

If you are only doing AK and MK, you don't have to worry about the Flower and Garden Festival, since that's all in Epcot. If there are cheerleading competitions going the kids will all be in the Studios. Even outside competition times. They want to be where all the other cheeleaders are, and that's where they will be.

One thing else to consider: the reason the special events are at that time of year is because it is NOT sup busy then. Early May is a wonderful time to go. Have fun!

Stan