Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: DVC info

DVC info

Is there a good book I could buy about buying DVC? Ideally something like an Unofficial Guide. Thanks

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

2. # ADS

I can't think of any books, but in addition to asking questions on this website, I also looked at DVCnews.com.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nope, not really any books on the topic. There are some DVC sites out there that might be able to help. Just beware of some of the Facebook sites out there run by different groups. Sometimes the info given is not really all that accurate or can be rather biased. (Not giving a specific group name but there are many, many FB groups out there on the topic and the wealth of miss-information given is staggering!)

We would be more than happy to answer any of your questions as well.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I'm trying to work out the cost (purchase price and annual dues) of a one bed villa at the Beach Club for 14 nights per year August season. Both from 'new' and re-sale.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

DVCnews has the points chart, it looks like it would be about 255-269 per week at Beach Club depending on when in August you plan on going.

The dues are $5.7904 per point for Beach Club for 2014 and will likely increase each year.

I don't know about the resale pricing because we bought directly from Disney.

Can you even buy beach club direct from Disney anymore? I ask because ideally that's where we'd want to purchase as well.

Blog Entries

To look at some resale pricing, I usually look at DVCbyresale.com. They have their current listings which should give you something of an idea of what you are looking at from a cost perspective. Ive not worked with them before, but their site is really good at explaining things.

The cost increase per year is really not all that much... a lot less than the average cost increase of a rented room. I think over the past 7 years my dues have only fluctuated around $30 or so. (Thats for my 160 point contract.)

If you REALLY want to have the Beach Club Villas be your home resort, get it on the resale market. DVC will sell you Beach Club points, but they will go for the current cost per point for a "new" purchase. Just know that there are some restrictions on the use of the points if bought via resale. If you plan on using them just for Disney trips, chances are you will be just fine.

Keep the questions coming... more than happy to help.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Blog Entries

One more thing... if I had to do it all over again, I would buy resale. The cost per point from DVC is getting a bit too high if you ask me. I mean, in like 8 years, its gone up like $35pp at least. The restrictions on resale points dont impact us at all.

One other thing to remember that buying a "sold out" resort like BCV from Disney does not make the contract go out any longer than it will on the resale market. At this moment all BCV resort contracts end in 2042 regardless of where you get it from. Different resorts have different contract end dates.

So in re sale you get less years for your money on your contract?

Blog Entries

Not exactly...
    Every resort has a defined end year regardless of when or how you buy.
    Using the BCV example... the end date of the contract is 2042 if you buy it today, tomorrow, or if you bought it when it first became available.
    Generally speaking, people who want the longest availability go with the newer resorts.

At the same time, its not sure if DVC will offer up extensions for sale later in a resorts life. They did that for OKW a few years ago, but it was not guaranteed for other resorts.

Some people consider how old they are as well. ie: Will you be going to Disney into your golden years? Sure, you can sell and/or deed the property to your kids if you would like, but its still one of those considerations.

For us, our contract at SSR will end well into our senior years. Im also sure our kids will enjoy it as they start their families as well. If/when it comes to any sort of extensions offered, we will leave it up to them to help make the decision.

Thank you for the help. I need to do the math. I have spent 25k on Disney in 7 years and we will keep coming. Wish I'd bought after our first trip really.

Blog Entries

I felt the same way...
    My only regret... not doing it sooner. Really.

The "typical" return on the investment - the point where the value of rented rooms would equal your base membership costs - is usually around 7 years. For us, it was more around 5 years. After that, all we pay are the annual fees.

Now, since my membership is paid off and all I pay are my fees its comparable to paying for (slightly less than) a value resort and staying at a deluxe resort. THAT is where the value comes into play.

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    One more thing... if I had to do it all over again, I would buy resale. The cost per point from DVC is getting a bit too high if you ask me. I mean, in like 8 years, its gone up like $35pp at least. The restrictions on resale points dont impact us at all.
    We bought Aulani for $102pp almost 3 years ago and they just announced Grand Floridian will be going to $165 soon. Yikes!! We want to add roughly 100 points on at Grand Cal in a year or two and even resale on that is $135 pp right now. We will buy resale for that, but I'm getting antsy to just pull the trigger!
    Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    ...but I'm getting antsy to just pull the trigger!
    AddOn-itis. Its common. Symptoms can subside, but you never really cure it.

One other item, loosely related to Mermaid's comment...
    Considering that different resorts will "cost" a different number of points for the same type of room at the same time, its one of those things that you have to take into consideration. In other words - you may want to buy at a certain resort, and you plan to buy based upon your -current- vacation habits, but consider if you want to stay at other resorts.

Example, I bought at SSR. We've stayed the most days at AKV. The most point-pricey resort (and corresponding shortest stay) we've stayed at was BLT.

I dont think I can "afford" to do a full vacation at somewhere like GCV for quite some time given current vacationing habits - though I would love to.

These are all things to think about... not just now and short term, but possibly 5-10 years down the road.

Can you buy resale direct from WDW? I'm going to be there in 12 days and if (still a big if), we do this, I have decided it will definitely be re sale. I don't want to waste a couple of hours with a DVC rep on this already short 9 night trip if they can't sell me what I want.

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

As in an older DVC resort (not Grand Floridian, Aulanui, Animal Kingdom, maybe Saratoga Springs that they are currently selling)? You can.... but it is at going prices $160ish a point or maybe slightly discounted. If you want an older resort, you are WAY better off buying through a broker.

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Ok thanks.

Question for anyone with DVC property. What is the difference of purchasing more points or adding on if any? We recently added on but now we have two annual fees. We originally bought three years ago, and just got another 100 points and they are considered two different contracts. Guess we did not totally understand getting more points. So, if everytime you add on to your original contract you are liable for another annual fee??????? Can anyone clarify this for me....please?
    Thanks in advance.

I haven't ever added on - but I think my fee is just on a per-point basis. So it makes sense if you add more points you would owe more fees. It is also my understanding that once Disney sells a contact, it can only be resold in its original block - so they were recommending to some people that had lots of points to buy multiple smaller contracts so that they could be more easily resold latter. I didn't look into that since we were buying the minimum amount anyway.

Other than receiving two invoices, is there a downside to having more than one contract? I know that there can be an upside if you change the DVC membership hotel or the use month deliberately.

No, I was just curious. I have to agree that small amts are better at least for us. I guess the downside is just two annual fees. Kind of makes me wonder with some people I have met that are DVC members that have multiple pts. at different resorts and all those annual fees. Love being a DVC member and my only regret is we should have done it many many years ago.
    Thanks for replying.

Because they don't charge interest, we have the annual fee paid automatically using their monthly payment option. So once a year I look at the statement, see how much they will be taking for the next year, and file the statement away. Now I'm curious if people with the automatic payments are charged multiple times in a month or if Disney has the ability to consolidate those types of payments.

I agree about joining sooner. We stayed once on cash and if just that trip had been with the membership instead, it would have paid for most of the purchase price.

I just thought of this, but semantically I think that "purchasing more points" is considered a new purchase transaction, and you would be eligible for whatever the incentive is for new members but have to buy the current minimum amount. "Adding-on" is only available to current members and usually has a lower minimum. Sometimes they may also have different/better incentives. So if new members have to buy 160 points, an add-on may be as few as 25. But once you own the points, the annual fees would be the same on a per-point basis.

Blog Entries

If you bought add-on points via resale then you pretty much bought a separate contract even if it is the same resort and use year as your original contract.

If you did an add-on through Disney, then I believe they amend your contract with the points added on. The contract number will be the same with a suffix at the end, I believe.

The thing is that regardless of how you do it, you pay your fees on a per point basis. That per point basis is based upon the resort associated with the points where they belong.